Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I buy FSD after delivery? [yes]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at ordering a model 3 and thoroughly confused by the FSD option.

I don’t think that I really want the FSD option. However, I would hate it if they made some breakthrough a year after I purchased my car and have it be unavailable to me.

I’ve seen mention of the subscription model, which seems appealing, but I don’t see that as an option on the order page. Is every new model 3 shipped with the computer and hardware needed to support FSD, or do you need to order it with the car. I get that, this question seems to be silly as I’m typing this, but I don’t want to make an assumption and then be wrong about it.

You can also buy the option (rather than subscribing) after buying your car. The only risk is that you might pay more if the price goes up again (which is likely). Elon always announces FSD price increases ahead of time, so you’ll have time to decide.

At the current price of $12,000, I'd say don't buy it. Instead subscribe to it for a month at $200 and see if it's for you. For most people the included Autopilot is more than enough.
^^^ this!
The Autopilot is good enough for most circumstances. I subscribed to FSD for a month on a vacation trip. Pretty neat but not quite ready for prime time. Definitely not worth the $12,000 in its current state of development. IMHO. Subscription is a better value.