Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Install a OEM Tesla Hitch / Harness myself ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IVe got an OEM Model Y hitch from a 2021 with the harness that plugs into the factory harness.

Can I just install this and plug it into the existing harness on my 2020 Y Performance, and have it control the trailer lights ? Or would it be disabled unless I got a software install (which Telsa wont do unless they sell/install hitch) ?

Will it enable Tow mode and disable AP and the rear sensors while towing without the tow software install ?

Much thanks !!

I vaguely recall some stories in the X group of Tesla turning on tow-mode over the air after owners notifying Tesla that they had installed a hitch. I'm not sure if they will do this for the Y, but something I remember reading some time ago.

I most likely DONT want the software installed because it would disable AP while towing. That would suck. Although, I dont want it to chime non-stop while towing either ... and I wonder if the trailer lights would even work at all without the software install ...

• Funny
Reactions: Velcade
You would need Tesla to enable the software.

Why would you install the electronics if you don’t plan to have the tow-mode software enabled? Your lights wouldn’t work and you would not be able to add a brake controller.

The only way this makes sense is if you plan to use it to attach a bike carrier and not really tow anything. In which case you just wouldn’t install the electronics to begin with.

Another question - UHaul has a hitch and wiring kit for 2021 Y but NOT the 2020 Y. I called them, they said they dont know why it would fit 2021 but not 2020.

Has anyone tried to install Uhauls hitch on 2020 ? Would there be any difference in hitch or wiring from 2020 to 2021 ?

Im looking at all options here so any help is appreciated. The Uhaul option hitch + harness is $324 so definitely the least expensive option to get full hitch and trailer wiring.

Also I did message Tesla service regarding my question about using the OEM wire harness plugged in. I asked if that alone would power the trailer lights and I asked if they would be able to install the tow software for me. They are not responding.

Another question - UHaul has a hitch and wiring kit for 2021 Y but NOT the 2020 Y. I called them, they said they dont know why it would fit 2021 but not 2020.

Has anyone tried to install Uhauls hitch on 2020 ? Would there be any difference in hitch or wiring from 2020 to 2021 ?

Im looking at all options here so any help is appreciated. The Uhaul option hitch + harness is $324 so definitely the least expensive option to get full hitch and trailer wiring.

Also I did message Tesla service regarding my question about using the OEM wire harness plugged in. I asked if that alone would power the trailer lights and I asked if they would be able to install the tow software for me. They are not responding.
It has to do with the VIN #, not the year as Tesla does not have traditional model years for their vehicles.

For example, this aftermarket Tow Hitch Cover for the Tesla Model Y has the following statement:

https://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Cover-Tesla-Model-Y/dp/B0986F8CZZ/

Compatibility:
  • For Tesla Model Y with factory tow package with VIN below 200,000.
  • This will not fit a vehicle with a VIN past 200,000 due to a change in the factory hitch receiver alignment.

I see ... I wonder what the difference is ? The OEM hitch / harness is same for all Y's, right ???

"
  • This will not fit a vehicle with a VIN past 200,000 due to a change in the factory hitch receiver alignment.

As in the hitch receiver is higher or lower or sits farther in or out than on later VINs ?? That would be crazy.

I don't know. If you order the tow hitch package from Tesla then the tow hitch should be correct for your vehicle. If there is any difference, such as the tow hitch alignment, Tesla can verify your VIN and ship the tow hitch that is compatible with your vehicle.

If you install an aftermarket tow hitch my understanding is that you can't enable tow mode. If you attach a bike rack then the backup proximity sensors are continuously triggered. Maybe the backup sensor alert can be cancelled.

Thanks for video, thats awesome. So it looks like the sensors would see the bike / trailer back there and have the red warning line but not chime. I can live with that. I bet it will chime when backing up. Not too big an issue because I will not be driving in reverse very long anyways...

Yes, I can visit my local center. Are you allowed to just drop in though ? They seem kinda dicky about asking them questions. Ive tried to message them before but they either dont reply or say you need to schedule service to talk to them. If they are OK with me dropping in, I certainly can.

Surely there is an "expert" on here tho ...

You can disable the parking chime, although I think you have to do it for each driving session. But I'm not sure I would want to tow a trailer without having Tow Mode SW. I'm not sure you can get any sort of electronics on the trailer to work without it.

Well you can definitely tap into existing wires for the tail lights to get trailer power, no issue.

What I dont know however is if you plug into the trailer harness if those wires would work without the software. I also dont understand difference between 2020 and 2021 tow hitches, if any.

Curious as to why you actually would want tow mode software. It disables AP while engaged. That sucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: oldcanadian