Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got delivery of my X90D in mid September (VIN 153xx). I ordered the accessory hitch and not the tow package. I did get a "lunchbox" with a wire harness. My 17" console also shows Trailer Model.

However, I would NOT tow without first check with Tesla service first. When I called in late August with interest to upgrade to tow package, my DS said too late as tow packag they need to order a totally different bumper - one that is structurally enforced to handle heavier towing.

I just got delivery of my X90D in mid September (VIN 153xx). I ordered the accessory hitch and not the tow package. I did get a "lunchbox" with a wire harness. My 17" console also shows Trailer Model.

However, I would NOT tow without first check with Tesla service first. When I called in late August with interest to upgrade to tow package, my DS said too late as tow packag they need to order a totally different bumper - one that is structurally enforced to handle heavier towing.
So you ordered the "Accessory Hitch" but got the Bosal receiver, the wiring harness for the brake controller, and the Tow Mode software but because Tesla tells you that you can't tow you won't. Gotcha.

C'mon people, if it walks like a duck and talks like duck...

I maintain, until someone can show me some proof to the contrary, that the "Accessory Hitch" does not exist, and everyone is getting the full tow package hardware.

Reactions: beths11
So you ordered the "Accessory Hitch" but got the Bosal receiver, the wiring harness for the brake controller, and the Tow Mode software but because Tesla tells you that you can't tow you won't. Gotcha.

C'mon people, if it walks like a duck and talks like duck...

I maintain, until someone can show me some proof to the contrary, that the "Accessory Hitch" does not exist, and everyone is getting the full tow package hardware.

Is not I can't tow. I tow something that it is meant for (e.g., 4 bikes) but not a boat that only the Tow Package is capable of doing, unless I get confirmation that it is structurally sound. I might be willing to try a lightweight trailer. If what my DS told me is true, that the bumpers are constructed differently, then I would be stupid to try a camper or boat without first confirming.

Now if Tesla won't tell me because of what I paid for, I can try get some expert outside of Tesla to examine. But I don't know anyone like that...

Last edited:
unless I get confirmation that it is structurally sound
I took pictures inside my hitch panel (AH, not Tow package), but can't seem to find them now to post. The sticker inside on the hitch clearly states 5000 lbs tow capacity with 20" tires, 3500 lbs for 22" tires just like the sticker on the bosal adapter in the lunchbox. I am guessing it would be quite a liability if Tesla had those stickers on the hardware, yet gave us accessory hitch folks a lesser reinforced model not capable of such capacity. I don't know if I will ever tow a trailer, but not because of what I hear from someone else's DS with apparently Tesla secret engineering knowledge. My DS appropriately answered that he simply didn't know if this is the same hitch as the Tow package, and I appreciate that answer. With no further proof, I will go with the official warning stickers physically placed on my car as the best answer available.

Reactions: goneskiian
IIRC the accessory hitch was going to be a smaller hitch receiver than the tow hitch receiver but now there is only one hitch receiver kit which includes the wiring harness.
The bike accessory comes with an adapter to fit the larger hitch receiver.
Accessories should not need a wiring harness.
It seems now there is one hitch kit, one trailer assembly with hitch and harness sockets, but a tale of two bumpers. Maybe we can find an easy way to tell the two bumpers apart. Get out your cameras!

I took pictures inside my hitch panel (AH, not Tow package), but can't seem to find them now to post. The sticker inside on the hitch clearly states 5000 lbs tow capacity with 20" tires, 3500 lbs for 22" tires just like the sticker on the bosal adapter in the lunchbox. I am guessing it would be quite a liability if Tesla had those stickers on the hardware, yet gave us accessory hitch folks a lesser reinforced model not capable of such capacity. I don't know if I will ever tow a trailer, but not because of what I hear from someone else's DS with apparently Tesla secret engineering knowledge. My DS appropriately answered that he simply didn't know if this is the same hitch as the Tow package, and I appreciate that answer. With no further proof, I will go with the official warning stickers physically placed on my car as the best answer available.
Exactly. Why would Tesla provide the removable hitch receiver with those capacities listed on it if it wasn't capable of handling them?

Please post the pictures if you find them. Pictures were posted of the Tow Package in this thread...

Accessory tow hitch part #

I'll stop posting about this because the only thing that will convince some of you will be when Tesla tells you that you have the full Tow Package and can tow away. Which is fine.

20160809_224330101_iOS.jpg
20160809_224343684_iOS.jpg
20160809_224605955_iOS.jpg

Reactions: goneskiian
For those without the button, does the blue trailer show up along the top of the console with all the other info lights when the car turns on?

I too have the 2 inch Accessory Hitch with lunchbox but no trailer mode software showing on the display. While at my SC last week I asked them to plug a trailer light tester into the socket and see what happens. When they did the blue trailer showed up on the dash but the trailer mode didn't appear on my display. They told me it disabled Autosteer, etc. So I guess I just don't get the anti-sway control that I would with the trailer mode software?

I sure would like to see (at the very least) the trailer mode software as an option to be unlocked for those of us that paid for the AH and received the tow package hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG
I too have the 2 inch Accessory Hitch with lunchbox but no trailer mode software showing on the display. While at my SC last week I asked them to plug a trailer light tester into the socket and see what happens. When they did the blue trailer showed up on the dash but the trailer mode didn't appear on my display. They told me it disabled Autosteer, etc. So I guess I just don't get the anti-sway control that I would with the trailer mode software?

I sure would like to see (at the very least) the trailer mode software as an option to be unlocked for those of us that paid for the AH and received the tow package hardware.

Did the SC say you can tow?

The SC representative said it appears that I can tow.

I submitted the same comment that I typed above as owner feedback on their support page and this is their response.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Technical Support.

The blue trailer being on your vehicle would indicate the following information may be true on your vehicle:

• Autosteer.

• Autopark.

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the car in front of you.

• Park Assist (rear).

• Smart Air Suspension will not make speed-based adjustments from STANDARD to LOW.

• Smart Air Suspension does not make automatic height adjustments based on saved location-based settings.

• Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.

I say may at this point as your vehicle having the accessory hitch should not have access to Trailer Mode. Due to your vehicle being configured with the Accessory Hitch only, it is only capable of carrying up to 121 lbs in that configuration.

I have created a case to escalate this to our technicians for further review into exactly what is happening with your vehicle.

My 2'' receiver (with max trailer & tongue weight info), mount (with the same info) and 7 point wire plug look the same as all the pictures above. So I guess we will see what happens from here?

So, now that the Accessory Hitch is no linger available as an option will you believe me? Probably not. Maybe go ask Tesla and see what they say now. :rolleyes::p;)
Ugh. Just caught a spelling mistake and of course I can't edit it any "longer". :oops::p

The SC representative said it appears that I can tow.

I submitted the same comment that I typed above as owner feedback on their support page and this is their response.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Technical Support.

The blue trailer being on your vehicle would indicate the following information may be true on your vehicle:

• Autosteer.

• Autopark.

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the car in front of you.

• Park Assist (rear).

• Smart Air Suspension will not make speed-based adjustments from STANDARD to LOW.

• Smart Air Suspension does not make automatic height adjustments based on saved location-based settings.

• Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.

I say may at this point as your vehicle having the accessory hitch should not have access to Trailer Mode. Due to your vehicle being configured with the Accessory Hitch only, it is only capable of carrying up to 121 lbs in that configuration.

I have created a case to escalate this to our technicians for further review into exactly what is happening with your vehicle.

My 2'' receiver (with max trailer & tongue weight info), mount (with the same info) and 7 point wire plug look the same as all the pictures above. So I guess we will see what happens from here?
Thanks for bringing it up to Tesla. Maybe you all will finally get an "official" answer from them on this.

Cheers!

So, now that the Accessory Hitch is no linger available as an option will you believe me? Probably not. Maybe go ask Tesla and see what they say now. :rolleyes::p;)
Yes, I am definitely with you. If you look at the announcement video it clearly shows the accessory hitch installed and covered by a plate in the center of the bumper. This design was never built (ala coil suspension, folding seats). Those of us who ordered the accessory hitch get the hardware for towing but not the software. I don't know why Tesla would not want to upgrade it and provide the software for the $550 difference. I don't believe there are two different bumpers.

I ordered my MX with Accessory hitch (as I am planning to use it for a bike rack only) when it was possible to order that or Towing package.
Yesterday, I decided to check out what was on my car and I think I got the actual towing package instead of the Accessory hitch.
I would be fine if I have a towing package, just wanted to be sure.
Also, I do remember reading that it does not matter if I have Accessory hitch or towing package, the weight limit of the bike rack and the bikes on it is the same for either as we are talking about not towing something but torques weight. I have 22" wheels so it does state on the receiver that the limit is 350lb.
Please see attached pictures and let me know if I am correct.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8252.JPG
    IMG_8252.JPG
    522.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8253.JPG
    IMG_8253.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8254.JPG
    IMG_8254.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 72