Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New I ordered my MX with Accessory hitch (as I am planning to use it for a bike rack only) when it was possible to order that or Towing package.
Yesterday, I decided to check out what was on my car and I think I got the actual towing package instead of the Accessory hitch.

I have read through the entire "Can I Tow" thread (I advise you to do so) and am not entirely clear on this situation. Here is what appears to be the case, tell me if I'm wrong:

All Model X currently being built include the hitch receiver and trailer electronics harness connector (7 pin plug).

You only get the Tow Mode software package if you bought the $750 Towing Package option which enables the software for Trailer Mode so the car will communicate with the trailer harness connector (7 pin plug) and will operate the trailer brakes (if they are electric) and "monitor trailer sway".

The "Accessory hitch" that some refer to is actually the "Model X Hitch Rack" that is sold through the online Shop at Tesla — Model X Hitch Rack

You can buy the Model X Hitch Rack without buying the Towing Package option and you will be able to use the Hitch Rack because every Model X is build with the hitch receiver (as I noted above).

Do I have all that right?

Still confused about this: I do wonder why Tesla uses the term "Tow Mode" for the $750 trailer towing option when in the center display Settings / Service & Reset / Tow Mode since that function is for setting your car to be towable by a tow truck. It is not for towing a trailer! That is confusing. If you have the "Tow Mode software package" that control is found under Controls / Driving / Trailer Mode

Really Tesla, you sell an option called "Towing Package" which gives you a control in the center display called "Trailer Mode"?

Recommendation:

Change the existing "Tow Mode" control text label in the center display to "Emergency Towing Mode".

Change the option name "Towing Package" to "Trailer Towing Package" on the Model X configuration page, and then be consistent and change the "Trailer Mode" control on the center display to "Trailer Towing Mode,"

The key distinction is "Emergency Towing" vs. "Trailer Towing". Everyone should be able to understand that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I ordered my MX with Accessory hitch (as I am planning to use it for a bike rack only) when it was possible to order that or Towing package.
Yesterday, I decided to check out what was on my car and I think I got the actual towing package instead of the Accessory hitch.
I would be fine if I have a towing package, just wanted to be sure.
Also, I do remember reading that it does not matter if I have Accessory hitch or towing package, the weight limit of the bike rack and the bikes on it is the same for either as we are talking about not towing something but torques weight. I have 22" wheels so it does state on the receiver that the limit is 350lb.
Please see attached pictures and let me know if I am correct.
Thank you
I think you can tow, you will just probably not have the software to help with anti-sway, etc. That is not a requirement for towing though :)

I have read through the entire "Can I Tow" thread (I advise you to do so) and am not entirely clear on this situation. Here is what appears to be the case, tell me if I'm wrong:

All Model X currently being built include the hitch receiver and trailer electronics harness connector (7 pin plug).

You only get the Tow Mode software package if you bought the $750 Towing Package option which enables the software for Trailer Mode so the car will communicate with the trailer harness connector (7 pin plug) and will operate the trailer brakes (if they are electric) and "monitor trailer sway".

The "Accessory hitch" that some refer to is actually the "Model X Hitch Rack" that is sold through the online Shop at Tesla — Model X Hitch Rack

You can buy the Model X Hitch Rack without buying the Towing Package option and you will be able to use the Hitch Rack because every Model X is build with the hitch receiver (as I noted above).

Do I have all that right?

Still confused about this: I do wonder why Tesla uses the term "Tow Mode" for the $750 trailer towing option when in the center display Settings / Service & Reset / Tow Mode since that function is for setting your car to be towable by a tow truck. It is not for towing a trailer! That is confusing. If you have the "Tow Mode software package" that control is found under Controls / Driving / Trailer Mode

Really Tesla, you sell an option called "Towing Package" which gives you a control in the center display called "Trailer Mode"?

Recommendation:

Change the existing "Tow Mode" control text label in the center display to "Emergency Towing Mode".

Change the option name "Towing Package" to "Trailer Towing Package" on the Model X configuration page, and then be consistent and change the "Trailer Mode" control on the center display to "Trailer Towing Mode,"

The key distinction is "Emergency Towing" vs. "Trailer Towing". Everyone should be able to understand that.
@ecarfan when I use the term "accessory hitch" it is to indicate the option I ordered from the Design Studio when I first placed my order. I could order the tow package for $750 or the "accessory hitch" for $200. If you look at the initial model X revel you will see a car with an "Accessory Hitch" installed in the middle of the bumper (rather than underneath like the tow hitch) and it was covered by a plate which matched the bumper when not in use. At some point, the decision was made by Tesla not to engineer it. All accessory hitch orders are being given the tow hitch and the accessory hitch is no longer an option in the design studio

What you are referring to at the Tesla shopping site is a hitch rack. A rack which attaches to the hitch and allows the carrying of bikes etc.

I do not believe every model X comes with a hitch receiver. I had to order it specifically and paid extra for it. My configuration:

Model X 75D

Including $7,500.00 Federal Tax Credit
All-Wheel Drive Included
EXTERIOR
Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
20" Silver Wheels Included
INTERIOR
Black Leather Seats
Matte Obeche Wood Décor
Front Console Included
Light Headliner Included
Five Seat Interior Included
CHARGING Supercharger Enabled Included
OPTIONS
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features
Smart Air Suspension
Accessory Hitch

I do not believe every model X comes with a hitch receiver. I had to order it specifically and paid extra for it.
On the Model X configuration page at Tesla — Model X there is a "Towing Package" option shown which includes a "removable 2" hitch receiver capable of towing up to 5,000 lbs..." etc.

Is that what you are referring to? Or are you saying that when you ordered your X the configuration page showed a something different than it does now?

On the Model X configuration page at Tesla — Model X there is a "Towing Package" option shown which includes a "removable 2" hitch receiver capable of towing up to 5,000 lbs..." etc.

Is that what you are referring to? Or are you saying that when you ordered your X the configuration page showed a something different than it does now?
I am saying, when I ordered there were two hitch options an "accessory tow hitch" option for $200. It did not require SAS and it was a 1.25" hitch rather than the 2" which the towing package provided. I show it listed on my spec. sheet in my previous post. It was configured in the bumper rather than under the car. Two very different hitch options. Believe they were discussed at length back in Feb/March 2016. The 'accessory tow hitch" bumper was never built. All that ordered the ATH option got the hardware for the tow option but not the software.

I ordered my X in January while the accessory hitch was free and soon took delivery in May after I got the call to upgrade my 70D to a 90D for faster delivery (in March).

Like other early owners, I believe I got the tow hitch. I have the hitch adapter that came in the lunchbox. I also opened up the hitch cover in the rear and found the tow hitch connection and a connector.

However, I do not have the tow mode option on the 17-inch so I don't know if I can actually tow. What does tow mode do? Can I tow without it? Also, what does this wire connector do?

If I can tow, do you recommend any trailer?

I never towed anything but now I have to transport some large items so either I can buy a Honda Ridgeline or get a trailer. I should have listened to @ohmman's advice.

View attachment 192159
This old thread just got bumped and I'm just starting to read it, so the question may have already been answered, but just in case. K-MTG, you need the 7-pin wire connector to control the brake, turn signal, and emergency flash lights on the trailer. It will also send braking commands if your trailer has electric brakes and you car is wired for it. Since you can only two up 5,000 lbs, you don't need the electric brakes and I don't know of any trailer of that size that have them. Most trailers in this weight class use a 4-pin wire plug, but there is an adapter (widely available) that you plug into the 7-pin connector and gives you a 4-pin socket that you can connect the plug from the trailer into.

This old thread just got bumped and I'm just starting to read it, so the question may have already been answered, but just in case. K-MTG, you need the 7-pin wire connector to control the brake, turn signal, and emergency flash lights on the trailer. It will also send braking commands if your trailer has electric brakes and you car is wired for it. Since you can only two up 5,000 lbs, you don't need the electric brakes and I don't know of any trailer of that size that have them. Most trailers in this weight class use a 4-pin wire plug, but there is an adapter (widely available) that you plug into the 7-pin connector and gives you a 4-pin socket that you can connect the plug from the trailer into.

As OP mentioned in the original post - he does have all the hardware and connectors, it's the software part that is missing - there is no option under Controls/Driving.

@K-MTG - in one of the posts you've mentioned that you will inquire about the software during your next visit to SC, did you get the answer?

As OP mentioned in the original post - he does have all the hardware and connectors, it's the software part that is missing - there is no option under Controls/Driving.

@K-MTG - in one of the posts you've mentioned that you will inquire about the software during your next visit to SC, did you get the answer?

I still haven't gone to the SC but @pjason84 has, here is his answer: Can I Tow?

My follow up email to Tesla Technical Support:

Any word from the technicians about exactly what is happening with my vehicle? (reference the blue trailer showing up on the dash but trailer mode not appearing on my display)

The manual states on page 69: Trailer Mode Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. When you connect a trailer's electrical connection, Model X automatically engages Trailer Mode. When you disconnect the trailer's electrical connection, Trailer Mode
disengages. To engage or exit Trailer Mode manually, touch Controls > Driving > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen. One of the following indicators display on the instrument panel:

Blue Trailer Icon = Trailer Mode is active.

Will the Trailer Mode software show up in the next update? Or as an option to be unlocked in My Tesla account?

Tesla Technical Support response to that email:

I have gone ahead and requested that your local Service Center reach out to you as soon as possible in regards to this issue.

NOW:
If you recall my previous post, it was at my Service Center that we discover that the Blue Trailer Icon displays on the instrument panel when the trailer light tester was plugged in and the Service Center that told me that when in Trailer Mode certain systems will be disabled.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
From my perspective, I can tow. I just down have the ability to engage or exit Trailer Mode manually via the touchscreen Controls > Driving > Trailer Mode.

Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Tesla is selling it for $1250 on the shop page: Tesla — Tow Package
Great find. This should dispel all the myths and debate.

To your topic, I too ordered my X while the accessory hitch was free. I took delivery (finally) this month and it has the tow package. Sticker says accessory hitch, but it was confirmed 100% that my "accessory hitch" was in fact the tow package - software and hardware.

On a side note, my car has EAP even though I ordered AP1. Stop signs show up and all of the notifications say I have EAP. I know this was a debated topic as well...

Update: Talked to my SC service manager inquiring about the price to just get the software installed, he looked into it and called my back with a price of $750. I don't need to tow anything with my MX as I have a Nissan Titan for that, so I don't see myself spending the extra money anytime soon. Maybe if they drop the price down to say $250.