Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can owners that purchased $2K AP confirm if Auto Lane Change is included please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why don’t they move to a subscription service like almost all other companies are.
That would be awesome! Maybe even make it month by month. If you have a long vacation coming up, pay for a month of FSD for that month. Then you could stop the subscription during months when you don’t need FSD.

Tesla still gets paid. You still get to use features when needed without shelling out $5000+ up front.

• Love
Reactions: moonchic73
That would be awesome! Maybe even make it month by month. If you have a long vacation coming up, pay for a month of FSD for that month. Then you could stop the subscription during months when you don’t need FSD.

Tesla still gets paid. You still get to use features when needed without shelling out $5000+ up front.

Finally someone who agrees with me.

Because before I clicked on the shop for Autopilot Upgrades from my account screen (below), I clicked on the Autopilot Overview button, which took me to the autopilot section of the support page on tesla.com. (Model 3 Support | Tesla). It includes a video demonstration of how to engage various autopilot features. It includes how to engage ALC with the turn signal. (FTR the video shows no features that are explicitly part of FSD (NoA, Summon, Autopark, etc). I think is completely reasonable to expect that all of the autopilot features demonstrated are part of autopilot.

Except the very first screen clearly says
YOUR OWN SOURCE said:
Enhanced Autopilot
before showing the features of that package. See attached screen shot.
appic.png

Which the new offering is not.

I agree with the other guy who suggested they need to update the video since EAP isn't even sold anymore- but it's clearly not the same thing as the new, non-enhanced, AP being sold.

Reactions: JBT66
Except the very first screen clearly says before showing the features of that package. See attached screen shot.View attachment 389422

Which the new offering is not.

I agree with the other guy who suggested they need to update the video since EAP isn't even sold anymore- but it's clearly not the same thing as the new, non-enhanced, AP being sold.
How is it clear? I don't think it's clear at all.

Tesla is currently using that video in their support page to demonstrate the features of their newly branded "Autopilot" package

There is no disclaimer that not all features are included in the "base" Autopilot package.

If the video included EAP features that were explicitly now part of the FSD package (eg, NoA or Auto Park), that would have been a red flag. But no such "red flag" features are shown.

When you are researching a new product offering called "Autopilot" on the manufacturer's website, click on "Autopilot Overview" and are taken to a section of the support page titled "Autopilot" which includes a video demonstrating features of that product, it is reasonable to infer that all of those features are included...unless it explicitly states otherwise.

At least, that's what happened in my case. After seeing that video, I fully expected ALC to be included in the AP package that I was about to purchase...and now I'm upset with Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and jsmay311
I was skeptical with any AP, but getting the 2k was such a no brainer, and I enjoyed it so much and I wanted auto lane change (and the autopark, summons is a nice benefit) for 3k and said screw it. 5k is a hell of a lot better than what I was going to have to pay before for everything (8k pre, 10k post delivery). I wish I was more patient on getting FSD (cause I bet they'll have a price reduction (sale) either end of June or around Christmas) but it was already heavily discounted. I know a lot of FSD is vaporware, but if they seriously get reading traffic lights/signs to work and reliably, that will pretty much check any box I have for autopilot wants at this point, while still giving myself the position to still get more down the road.

I am though, very happy I waited to get it, sometimes patience pays off, especially with Elon/Tesla.

Tesla is currently using that video in their support page to demonstrate the features of their newly branded "Autopilot" package

There is no disclaimer that not all features are included in the "base" Autopilot package.

If the video included EAP features that were explicitly now part of the FSD package (eg, NoA or Auto Park), that would have been a red flag. But no such "red flag" features are shown.

When you are researching a new product offering called "Autopilot" on the manufacturer's website, click on "Autopilot Overview" and are taken to a section of the support page titled "Autopilot" which includes a video demonstrating features of that product, it is reasonable to infer that all of those features are included...unless it explicitly states otherwise.

At least, that's what happened in my case. After seeing that video, I fully expected ALC to be included in the AP package that I was about to purchase...and now I'm upset with Tesla.

The only useful features are autopilot and lane change anyway. The rest have a ways to go. I think Tesla should have made 3 packages, Autopilot $3k, Enhanced Autopilot +$2k, Full self driving +$3k to start. This would have alleviated a lot of confusion and they could have raised prices on FSD later. I think they feel that FSD is going to be huge and take the company to the next level and they want that to be their premium product that keeps advancing and possibly increases in price even more.

I was skeptical with any AP, but getting the 2k was such a no brainer, and I enjoyed it so much and I wanted auto lane change (and the autopark, summons is a nice benefit) for 3k and said screw it. 5k is a hell of a lot better than what I was going to have to pay before for everything (8k pre, 10k post delivery). I wish I was more patient on getting FSD (cause I bet they'll have a price reduction (sale) either end of June or around Christmas) but it was already heavily discounted. I know a lot of FSD is vaporware, but if they seriously get reading traffic lights/signs to work and reliably, that will pretty much check any box I have for autopilot wants at this point, while still giving myself the position to still get more down the road.

I am though, very happy I waited to get it, sometimes patience pays off, especially with Elon/Tesla.

Literally did the same thing

Even AP HW1 does auto lane change with turn signal input.

With autopilot (non-enhanced) priced at $3,000 for new cars it defiantly should include this feature. I am fine with Nav on Autopilot being part of the $5,000 FSD package, but lane change on turn signal should remain a standard Autopilot feature.

GSP

Reactions: spyderdawg
I think this is an awful decision on Tesla’s part. Here’s the main reason why...

When I’ve used EAP on long-distance highway drives with other passengers in the car, the fairly-loud EAP engage/disengage chimes quickly become irritating for the passengers, especially if they’re trying to sleep. If I needed to disengage AP every time I needed to change a lane due to a lack of ALC, the frequency of those chimes would increase, idk, maybe five-fold. If that was the case, I would just not use AP at all.

So without bundling AP with driver-initiated ALC, this is otherwise the optimal time to be using AP becomes unusable IMO, so I’d be super pissed about that.

IMO, *driver-initiated* ALC should absolutely be included with all versions of AP, including the base version. Making it a $5k upgrade is practically dastardly. I hope they see the light and change this down the road.

(And, while we’re on the topic, Tesla needs to come up with a better name for the AP/FSD lane change features that more clearly differentiate driver-initiated AP lane changes from actual (i.e., no-confirm) automatic lane changes. This whole thread would be unnecessary if Tesla just named things more intuitively.)

No, they aren't.

You can tell because I posted a screen shot, with the word ENHANCED circled in red.

It's a video showing off ENHANCED autopilot.

A package no longer available for purchase.

They left up a video of an old product, with a different name. They should certainly remove it, but it's not a video showing features of the CURRENT product, which has a different name and different price... and different listed features when you go to actually purchase it.

Reactions: Revelation
Even AP HW1 does auto lane change with turn signal input.

So did EAP....plus a number of other things (autopark, nav on AP, summon)

But people kept complaining they only "really" wanted TACC, or just TACC/AS.... for less money.

So Tesla repackaged to give people that.

Now other folks are complaining about THAT.

Everyone has a different opinion on what should be packaged with what, and for how much....SOMEBODY will be unhappy no matter which way they go

Reactions: Tezlah
Hi All,

First time posting. I have been reading mixed postings regarding the new $2K AP regarding Auto Lane Change when using the blinker stick. Can owners that actually purchased and finally got the new $2K AP update installed chime in if that is in fact included or not? Thanks!
I’ve got the full Navigation and autopilot package on a model 3, running firmware 2019.5.15 and if you select a destination and press Navigate on Autopilot it will change lanes automatically or when you use the turn signal and take the freeway exit most the time. If the exit has lots of traffic I’ve seen it disengage and not take it. Autopilot will also not pass a car that is hugging the left most lane marker either thus driving on the lane marker.

Tesla is currently using that video in their support page to demonstrate the features of their newly branded "Autopilot" package.
No, they aren't.
Objectively, they are. I don't understand how anyone can argue otherwise. They updated the Autopilot section of their support page, and kept the the video that demonstrated the old EAP functions that relate to Autopilot (not NoA, Summon, nor Autopark)

You can tell because I posted a screen shot, with the word ENHANCED circled in red.

It's a video showing off ENHANCED autopilot.

A package no longer available for purchase.
I acknowledge that it says ENHANCED. (FTR, I acknowledged that before you showed me, way back in my very first post in this thread).

That having been said, why on earth would they demonstrate a subset of the features of a legacy package in a section of their site dedicated to the current package, unless that subset of features applies to the current package?

They left up a video of an old product, with a different name. They should certainly remove it,
OK. I'm curious why you think they should remove it. If it should be obvious to everyone that the video references a legacy package, does not apply to the product support page in which it included, and should not reasonably lead to consumer confusion, then why on Earth should they remove it?

but it's not a video showing features of the CURRENT product, which has a different name and different price... and different listed features when you go to actually purchase it.
That doesn't make sense. Why would they include a video in the support page of the CURRENT product that demonstrates features that are not part of the current product (without any disclaimers).

Also, (and I freely admit that I only noticed this today, so it played no part in my personal decision-making process) if you re-read the description on the support site, while it does not reference ALC directly, it does say (emphasis mine):
https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3#autopilot said:
To learn more about Autopilot and its additional features and operation, please review your Owner’s Manual.
That certainly indicates that Autopilot includes features not specifically listed above.

In the current owners manual, the section dedicated to Autosteer starts on page 73 and ends on page 78.
On page 75, we find:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf said:
Auto Lane Change
When Autosteer is active, you can use the turn signals to move Model 3 into an adjacent lane without moving the steering wheel (which would cancel Autosteer)
That certainly sounds like Auto Lane Change is a sub-function of Autosteer, which is an enumerated function of the current version of Autopilot.

That having been said, why on earth would they demonstrate a subset of the features of a legacy package in a section of their site dedicated to the current package, unless that subset of features applies to the current package?

Because Teslas website is maintained by a small pack of very poorly trained monkeys. They screw things up all the time, update things in one place but not another, are late making promised changes, leave old content that should be removed or doesn't agree with other content, and in general do an hilariously terrible job for what is otherwise touted as a "tech" company.

OK. I'm curious why you think they should remove it.

Because it's advertising something they don't even sell anymore.

That doesn't make sense. Why would they include a video in the support page of the CURRENT product that demonstrates features that are not part of the current product (without any disclaimers).

Because they half-ass-updated the website and forgot to remove or update part of the content.

They didn't "include" the EAP video on the support page of the current product.

They updated the support page of the OLD product to describe the NEW product but forgot to do anything about the video that was there the whole time.

Again this incompetence by the web team happens all the time.

Press Kit | Tesla

That's the model 3 press kit. It still mentions the Midrange battery they don't sell anymore... (and it was even more badly out of date up till a couple weeks ago when the SR launched)

But if you'd like a more relevant example-
Autopilot

That's the old page still.

Tesla.com said:
Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving. Autopilot introduces new features and improves existing functionality to make your Tesla safer and more capable over time.

Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.

Quite obviously that's EAP. NOT the new autopilot. But it's still right there on teslas current website.

It also still has the old FSD definitions (essentially describing level 5 driving, rather than the much more limited feature set now listed when you go to buy FSD)

Poorly. Trained. Monkeys.

Because Teslas website is maintained by a small pack of very poorly trained monkeys. They screw things up all the time, update things in one place but not another, are late making promised changes, leave old content that should be removed or doesn't agree with other content, and in general do an hilariously terrible job for what is otherwise touted as a "tech" company.
I think we're starting to find some common ground

Because it's advertising something they don't even sell anymore.
But that, in and of itself, isn't a problem. The web is full of ads for discontinued items.

The problems only arise when they alter a product and leave in (or fail to weed out) legacy features. That causes consumer confusion and sews dissatisfaction.

Because they half-ass-updated the website and forgot to remove or update part of the content.

They didn't "include" the EAP video on the support page of the current product.

They updated the support page of the OLD product to describe the NEW product but forgot to do anything about the video that was there the whole time.

Again this incompetence by the web team happens all the time.
Six of one, half dozen the other.

Tesla updated the site to reflect their new product offering. Customers made buying decisions based on current, updated information. If those updates misrepresent Tesla's new offering, and cause consumer confusion, that should be on Tesla. Tesla needs to make it right.

Press Kit | Tesla

That's the model 3 press kit. It still mentions the Midrange battery they don't sell anymore... (and it was even more badly out of date up till a couple weeks ago when the SR launched)

But if you'd like a more relevant example-
Autopilot

That's the old page still.

Quite obviously that's EAP. NOT the new autopilot. But it's still right there on teslas current website.

It also still has the old FSD definitions (essentially describing level 5 driving, rather than the much more limited feature set now listed when you go to buy FSD)

Poorly. Trained. Monkeys.
Agreed, that's not good.

But I'm more inclined to give Tesla a pass on old pages that have not yet been purged or updated, than I am on pages that have clearly been revisited and updated by Tesla.

Which answers the original question:
Then why would you expect to get ALC in a package that doesn't list it, or make any reference to it at all?
The website was updated by Tesla and the new package still showed the feature in question, without any information to the contrary.

Reactions: jsmay311
Its amazing to me Auto Lane change isnt included in AP. Regular AP is basically just adaptive cruise control..sure its better but for the most part its the same thing as other cars. If you want to drive on the highway with it..its a pain in the ass to keep passing people and reengage AP. Maybe once the lane change without confirmation has worked out all the kinks, that will be the FSD feature and with confirmation lane change will go back to AP.

I think this is an awful decision on Tesla’s part. Here’s the main reason why...

When I’ve used EAP on long-distance highway drives with other passengers in the car, the fairly-loud EAP engage/disengage chimes quickly become irritating for the passengers, especially if they’re trying to sleep. If I needed to disengage AP every time I needed to change a lane due to a lack of ALC, the frequency of those chimes would increase, idk, maybe five-fold. If that was the case, I would just not use AP at all.

So without bundling AP with driver-initiated ALC, this is otherwise the optimal time to be using AP becomes unusable IMO, so I’d be super pissed about that.

IMO, *driver-initiated* ALC should absolutely be included with all versions of AP, including the base version. Making it a $5k upgrade is practically dastardly. I hope they see the light and change this down the road.

(And, while we’re on the topic, Tesla needs to come up with a better name for the AP/FSD lane change features that more clearly differentiate driver-initiated AP lane changes from actual (i.e., no-confirm) automatic lane changes. This whole thread would be unnecessary if Tesla just named things more intuitively.)

Amen! I couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Mdoss
Everything I read/watched before buying and now in my owner's manual says that Auto Lane Change is a part of Autopilot. But its not there. Having to disengage TACC to go around people is not seemless. I understand they need to create value for FSD but all their own material indicates that ALC is part of AP not FSD. Its makes sense that it should be there. There is enough great stuff in FSD that I was already planning to upgrade in the future.

Actually you have a good point about the chime. I discovered this as well, but keep in mind that the turn signal clicks as well with ALC.