Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can service center see your text message?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been to two Tesla service centers and they all use the same text messaging system for communication, and the text always come from the same (408) phone number. When I send a text back to this number asking some questions I've never gotten a response. Is this a one way communication text system, or has anyone been able to communicate with your service adviser using this text system?

I've yet to receive a response from the 408 numbers, but I have gotten signed responses using their shortcode sms 54409. I just assumed that it finds my number under my account and routes the messages to the correct service center, but to be honest, I have no idea what cloud phone service they use on their end.

I've gotten responses when replying to Service Center SMS but I'm not sure now what number I was replying to, a 10-digit or a much shorter one. Sometimes there was a time significant delay, though, so they probably aren't carrying the device but rather read them at a workstation.

I can send and receive SMS texts with the Tesla Service Center in Pittsburgh PA with no issues, it's actually great to use. Unfortunately they can't receive attachments or pictures/images. For example, I sent them a FLIR (thermal) image of my rear defroster that was malfunctioning, but they had to receive the pictures by regular email.

I’ve never received a response from the SC texts. What doesn’t make sense is they specifically say respond to this text if you have questions but they never respond. What’s the point? I need to ask them next time I’m in for service.

Texted the (408) number 4 times yesterday, no responses. Odd though given that the initial message I received told me text back to avoid my appointment getting cancelled
I think it's a text system where it's associated with an appointment/service visit or so-called ticket. They texted me with this number and I replied and I got responses from them changing up my appointment etc. After my car was ready to pick up all texts sent to this number went dark, so I believe they "closed" the case/ticket and the text thread ended.

To OP, at least in my case I've communicated with them via text before so it's not a one-way communication system. They might be just be too busy to answer your messages.

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to know that the text system is smart enough to route your text from different appointments to the right SA. Seems like if you get a reply or not really depends on how responsive the SA is.

I have confirmed with my service center that my text replies are not being received when sent to the 408 number. This has caused some significant issues with communication as they expect to see my answers there. Nothing on my side suggests a problem. Texts appear to be delivered. No errors or anything.