Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone sell me on the black interior!?

Do you prefer Black or white interior?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t expect so many responses! So awesome. Thank you everyone!

Just ordered my LR AWD. White exterior with Black interior.

In the end, if I was getting a lease, I would do white interior. I think it makes more sense having an option to return the car just in case the white seats don’t hold up.

Since I plan to keep the car for awhile, I think black will hold up better IMO.

With that said, I believe the white is stunning and objectively more comfortable but I’m happy with my choice in the end.

Thanks again everyone. I think this discussion will help with future buyers!

White is cool if you live in Miami and/or go to White Parties.
For everyone else Black saves $1K and does the trick.

In all seriousness I was planning on ordering the White, but went the Black and happy I did.
I wanted white because I think it made the car feel more airy, more futuristic, but not sure I could maintain nor look cool in a white interior car. I also don't think I want to be someone who could look cool in a white interior car.
The white dash bar I find very puzzling and cheap looking so if nothing else the wood trim bar is a big improvement.
Now that I own the black, I like it more and find it still has that airy feeling.

If they had a tan interior like they offer on the S I would have paid extra for that.

Reactions: omar
Just ordered my LR AWD. White exterior with Black interior.

#TWINNING! Great combo - you can't go wrong. And seriously, the heat is a non-issue in the summer; just use the app, turn the cooling on and it's ready to roll in less than 2 minutes.

IMG_3723.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and omar
WOOOOOOOOOW. So glad you walked away from that.

I chose black because I had tan seats in a Lexus IS 250 many years ago and swore to never ever have light colored seats. The lightest I've gone is red seats in my BMW M235xi and Acura MDX and those were easy to maintain.

If you want lighten up the interior with the black seats - may be consider white wrap for the interior.

View attachment 464563

Looks ghastly

[QUOTE Basically, I’m asking for someone to sell me on the black interior. I know it’s more sensible in the long run. Anyone wrap their dash or done anything to change the black interior look? Please post pics!
Thanks[/QUOTE]

The closest I ever got to a white interior was a light gray in a mustang I once owned. As you noted with white, it was more subject to having dirt/stains show on the lighter color. I kept up with it, and gave it a couple of leather cleaner/conditioning treatments each year. However, it did show its age more than cars with black interiors I've had for a similar length of time.

We'd never get white for the issue of showing dirt more easily. We also did not like the white band on the dash which we felt could be blinding depending on how the sun hits it. We like the wood grain strip you get in the black interior. We live in MD and have a garage, so those living farther south may differ on this following point. We felt that the cabin overheat protection feature and ability to leave the environmental controls on when making short stops essentially negates the point that black cars with black interiors can heat up quite quickly.

Good luck with your new car.

I got black to save $1k and also because I didn't like the white trim on the dash. I did really like the white seats though so I ended up purchases some white seat covers for around $250. So far no issues with stains.
I'll get around to finishing up the chrome delete on the side mirrors eventually.

20191010_141617.jpg

20191010_142034.jpg

Lots of good suggestions. I'd add another thought - CocoMats! Have them on several cars. Great quality, classic "old school" look - great contrast with a modern Tesla. The "black/natural" combination will brighten the interior, works well with natural wood strip on dash. They have the exact dimensions for the M3 - they cut them to fit perfectly. They even have a full runner for the rear seat, also exact dimension/cut.

Check them out here: Coco Floor Mats

02BlackNatural.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: rohan_aus and omar
Lots of good suggestions. I'd add another thought - CocoMats! Have them on several cars. Great quality, classic "old school" look - great contrast with a modern Tesla. The "black/natural" combination will brighten the interior, works well with natural wood strip on dash. They have the exact dimensions for the M3 - they cut them to fit perfectly. They even have a full runner for the rear seat, also exact dimension/cut.

That's a hard pass from me dawg

I got black to save $1k and also because I didn't like the white trim on the dash. I did really like the white seats though so I ended up purchases some white seat covers for around $250. So far no issues with stains.
I'll get around to finishing up the chrome delete on the side mirrors eventually.

View attachment 464759

View attachment 464758

Wait, you’re telling to tell me that this interior is not Tesla factory option?

• Funny
Had no choice when I ordered mine. Would have gotten white if offered. However, not sorry I have the black. Even across Death Valley - no problem. Occasionally have to cool ahead, but now M3's have 'pre-venting' so will make a big difference. Had roof venting option in our first MS and it was a godsend.

Had no choice when I ordered mine. Would have gotten white if offered. However, not sorry I have the black. Even across Death Valley - no problem. Occasionally have to cool ahead, but now M3's have 'pre-venting' so will make a big difference. Had roof venting option in our first MS and it was a godsend.

Care to elaborate about ‘pre-venting’ or roof venting on the Model S?

pffft. last thread i made, everyone said the white was a cinch to clean - easiest white theyve ever had to maintain -_-

i also think about the combo, and what looks good with the exterior colors.
white seat: blue, red, white
black seat: black, gray

i have roof venting in my MS but I don’t see it helping that much. Maybe it wasn’t hot enough. Pre cooling seems to work better.