Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we create an "Is my car totaled/ What will this damage cost" Sub Forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually have somewhat strong opinions on these threads, both as a moderator, and as a regular member. Unfortunately, those two opinions (as a moderator and as a regular member) are basically the complete opposite of each other.

As a Regular member:

1. I have absolutely noticed the increasing number of "Is this totaled? / How much is this to repair?" posts
2. I have also noticed that many of these post are coming from either Brand new members, or members who are not active here.
3. I have wondered "why, all of a sudden over the past few months to a year, did "the internet" decide that this site is the one for insurance valuations?
4. I have thought "No matter what anyone says here, this is going to be determined by that individual persons insurance, so I dont understand the purpose of putting this out there.
5. I have wondered, "i wonder if these people know its possible that insurance companies scour the internet for discussions about accidents etc. I certainly wouldnt be posting any details about how I got in an accident, and thats where those threads tend to go.

But, as a (volunteer) Moderator

1. I have thought "I bet when people get in an accident and start searching the internet for what to do with their Tesla, this site likely appears near the top of their internet searches.
2. I have thought "Most of these people are just looking for answers / sympathy for their situation
3. I have thought "while I can tell that some of our regular members are annoyed by the amount of these threads that are popping up, there is no reason they cant just skip over them / not reply to them. Lack of response would self regulate these type of threads
4. I have thought "These threads are not breaking any rules"
5. I have thought "These threads are additional traffic for TMC
6. I have thought "Sometimes, people who post these threads actually stick around and become regular, participating members.
7. I have thought " I cant put all these in one thread, since each case is very different, normally includes pictures and isnt some overall conversation topic like vehicle price drops.

Volunteer mods like myself (and almost every other mod that people interact with here) cant create new subforums, but point 7 is why I have not put them all one thread or something.

Since most responders are not in the situation I am in (where I read most threads in the subforums I moderate because I agreed to volunteer a bunch of my time doing so), I would suggest that people who are annoyed with these simply do what I mentioned in the "moderator" thoughts above in point 3 (move onto another thread).

I say all this to try to head off the "piling on" aspect that many times happens here, as well as say "yes I have noticed it, and this is why I havent done anything with the threads".

Some people, myself included, have a bond with their Teslas like they never have with any other vehicle in the past. For me, it is because I am very "techy" and I finally have a vehicle that scratches that itch. On top of this, as someone who was rear ended, getting accurate estimates on a Tesla can take much longer than other vehicles. That waiting time is not fun when you have that bond.

For me, I am ok with sharing the details of my accident(s) because for both I was 100% not at fault, and I have injuries that I am not lying about. My story doesn't change, and I now have to live with being in pain.

Also, the fact that Tesla had the number 1 selling vehicle in Q1 2023 means there are a lot more Tesla owners than ever before. Because of this, there are a lot more accidents. The more there are on the road, the more accidents will happen.

I am new here, but most of the is my car totaled threads seem to be people who genuinely are hoping they aren't totaled. Which is why I honestly believe it is because of the bond they have with their Tesla.

Honestly, when I initially looked at my vehicle after the accident, I thought that's probably $4k worth of damage... In the end it was $12k. People with their first Tesla (I now know) really get sticker shock when they find out some of these repair bills. As I said in one of these threads today, just because Tesla dropped the initial price doesn't mean the cost of parts/repairs dropped...

Reactions: SpeedBird23
Honestly, when I initially looked at my vehicle after the accident, I thought that's probably $4k worth of damage... In the end it was $12k. People with their first Tesla (I now know) really get sticker shock when they find out some of these repair bills. As I said in one of these threads today, just because Tesla dropped the initial price doesn't mean the cost of parts/repairs dropped...

In almost All cases, however, the simple answer to "How much is this going to cost to repair" is "your insurance deductible, whatever that is". Whether its 6k to fix or 22k to fix, it should be the same cost to the person (their deductible) unless they dont have insurance.

In almost All cases, however, the simple answer to "How much is this going to cost to repair" is "your insurance deductible, whatever that is". Whether its 6k to fix or 22k to fix, it should be the same cost to the person (their deductible) unless they dont have insurance.

I think they are just wondering what the total cost is and will that put them over the typical totaled threshold. For me, I paid a $100 deductible, and got reimbursed for it, since I went through my own insurance as was not at fault. But once they learn that Tesla repair bills are going to be high, they are more concerned about if they are going to ever get their car back...

But you are right the cost to the person is at most their deductible in the event of being not at fault. If at fault, it comes down to if they have comprehensive or not, if they do it's the deductible, if no comprehensive, it's all on them

Just to be clear, I understand why people post these threads and think that they should be able to do so. I sympathize with anyone that has had their pride and joy damaged. I actually got rear ended last year, it was minor but it was a nightmare to get fixed.

I don't think all of these should be in the same thread either, it would just be nice to have a Subforum for the them. Sort of like the Buy/Sell Subforum where if someone posts a for sale thread it simply gets moved to the proper area.

No hate comms here, just thought it would be a good thing to have a dedicated place for all of these threads. I understand if it's not possible or even desired.

Reactions: evermore
I think they are just wondering what the total cost is and will that put them over the typical totaled threshold. For me, I paid a $100 deductible, and got reimbursed for it, since I went through my own insurance as was not at fault. But once they learn that Tesla repair bills are going to be high, they are more concerned about if they are going to ever get their car back...

But you are right the cost to the person is at most their deductible in the event of being not at fault. If at fault, it comes down to if they have comprehensive or not, if they do it's the deductible, if no comprehensive, it's all on them
Even with only liability insurance, wouldn't the other side's insurance pay for your car damage if the other side was at fault?

Another popular topic that is asked even more: "Is This Normal?" This question has been asked about everything Tesla.
In that case, at least people are able to provide practical help, even though the answer likely could be easily found if people bother to use the search function or search the manual.

For the question of "is it totaled," the chances people here can give the "right" informed answer is extremely low, given very few here are insurance adjusters, most of the relevant information tends to be is missing (like details on the car's value, possible internal damage, etc), and even if this was an insurance adjuster forum, opinions may vary (an insurance adjuster here saying a car is totaled or not is completely irrelevant to that actual adjuster of the insurance company that is examining the actual car). These threads end up mostly as speculation threads or a thread to vent.

Even with only liability insurance, wouldn't the other side's insurance pay for your car damage if the other side was at fault?
It will pay up to their limits. Some people only carry their state minimums, which, with a Tesla, may not fully cover you. This is why you want uninsured/under insured coverage on your own policy. This will cover you beyond their potentially low limits.

Oh, and make sure your own personal injury protection (PIP) is high enough to cover you, another thing the other party may cheap out on that can leave you un/under protected.

It will pay up to their limits. Some people only carry their state minimums, which, with a Tesla, may not fully cover you. This is why you want uninsured/under insured coverage on your own policy. This will cover you beyond their potentially low limits.

Oh, and make sure your own personal injury protection (PIP) is high enough to cover you, another thing the other party may cheap out on that can leave you un/under protected.
We opted for higher coverages on these two items. Knowing that some people just drive uninsured or underinsured, I felt I had to buy coverage for myself.

However, collision coverage was $2600 more than liability only. Made it difficult for us to justify buying collision coverage when our risk is lower than average. I'd rate myself a pretty decent driver, so maybe the risk of self-caused damage to the car is lower, and we don't use the car that much, so we are less exposed than someone who gets 40K miles per year.

I am still active in the Infiniti Q50 forum and the Mercedes R172 forum. I have never seen the volume of these type of questions as I have seen here. I mean like ten-fold. At least.

Why? They are stupid and boring. A waste of space. Your insurance adjuster is the only person that can answer that question with any authority. All you are going to get here are opinions. You know what they say about opinions.

Reactions: Adam3 and Gumball
Is this Tesla totaled?

tesla-3.jpg

Personally, I like the ”Is My Car Totaled” threads. Especially when they include videos.

I always read the “Is This Normal?” threads. Learn a few things.

Like the newbie question too. Stop these, and the forum would dry up. I could understand if you were never a newbie.

If we’re turning off things ”I” don’t like how about stopping the Wheels, Taillights, Wrap and Boombox threads? I’m never going to spend thousands of dollars on new hardware when my factory hardware works fine.

Last edited: