Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we disable auto lights when starting the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the auto lights function when starting the car?

I have my car in the garage, and every time I start it by stepping on the brake pedal, lights go automatically on because the light inside is dimmer, even if the garage door is open. I then drive 50 cm forward and the sensor detects the full daylight outside, and turn lights off.

To do so over time, again and again, reduces the lifespan of the headlights (when HID lights startup, the ballasts run 23kV across the bulbs, to heat up the gas in the capsule to the right state. After a minute or so, it reduces the voltage, because the bulbs are hot enough that it only has to maintain the temperature. The more you switch them on and discharge those 23kV, the more you reduce lifespan).

Does anyone know a way to disable the auto lights upon starting (i.e. stepping on the brake pedal)? If you manually select lights off, it enables auto as soon as you step on the brake pedal...

Bulb life hasn't been a problem (the way it was for the Prius), and bulbs are included in the maintenance agreement so there's no additional out of pocket expense. (I realize this doesn't answer your question, so try this: after shutting off the lights, press "save" on the driver profile screen.)

Bulb life hasn't been a problem (the way it was for the Prius), and bulbs are included in the maintenance agreement so there's no additional out of pocket expense. (I realize this doesn't answer your question, so try this: after shutting off the lights, press "save" on the driver profile screen.)

Do you have a link where I can check this? I haven't read anywhere that the bulbs are included, especially the HID headlights, which are easily over 200 USD each...

I'll try the save profile thing, thanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

I think you would just turn off auto. But then you have the hassle of going to controls to turn them on. I think the eyebrow lights serve as DRL in CA.

If you turn off auto with the car off, it switches back on auto as soon as you step on the break pedal to start the car...

- - - Updated - - -

I imagine this may work different in different countries. Doesn't pretty much every country have Daytime Running Lights, except for the US? I am pretty sure Norway does, just like here in Canada.

Norway does, and the DRL are always on. They're just dimmed when the headlights are on too, and that is what happens when I start the car in the garage. What I am after is skipping the step of the auto headlights going on when I start the car in the garage. Having DRLs on is not a problem at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you're going to have an issue with the lights.... just drive the car :)

Well, they all eventually die, especially if you have long and dark winters with many hours of driving in the dark, with lights on.

slcuervo : "If you turn off auto with the car off, it switches back on auto as soon as you step on the break pedal to start the car..."

Well, that's just plain annoying.

I believe it does this because it's been saved in a profile (when you press save, it saves however the car is configured at that moment). So if you want it not to do that, save your profile with lights off (or perhaps on something other than auto).

I believe it does this because it's been saved in a profile (when you press save, it saves however the car is configured at that moment). So if you want it not to do that, save your profile with lights off (or perhaps on something other than auto).
Correct. This worked for me in the past. I had them set to Off in my profile and it worked. I've since given in and just let the car manage it, though. Tesla often tinkers a bit with how stuff works, so the fact I've done it in the past isn't much of a guarantee it still works, but I *think* you should be OK.

He did, but I think the statement applied to "wear items", which was never really defined.
As lightbulbs always wear out eventually, I'd consider it a wear item and would be very disappointed if it Tesla didn't. Last time I purchased HID bulbs they were about $50 each. I do know that some Prius dealers charged $300 each, but that was so out of line that Toyota did a partial refund (50% IIRC) to to those who got [expletive deleted] by the dealers.

Correct. This worked for me in the past. I had them set to Off in my profile and it worked. I've since given in and just let the car manage it, though. Tesla often tinkers a bit with how stuff works, so the fact I've done it in the past isn't much of a guarantee it still works, but I *think* you should be OK.

Tried it, but switching through lights settings does not allow me to save an updated profile settings. The save button remains greyish.

So there I am, stuck with my auto lights switching on for 3 secs every morning as I get the car out of the garage...

The reason why this matters to me is because I am not convinced the HID bulbs are included in the service maintenance, and because I drive through at good 8-9 tunnels every day on my commute to work, so I have a total of almost 20 HID ballast discharges per day, for nothing. And that will have an impact on the bulbs lifespan :(

As lightbulbs always wear out eventually, I'd consider it a wear item and would be very disappointed if it Tesla didn't. Last time I purchased HID bulbs they were about $50 each. I do know that some Prius dealers charged $300 each, but that was so out of line that Toyota did a partial refund (50% IIRC) to to those who got [expletive deleted] by the dealers.

Everything wears out eventually, though.

This is one of my pet peeves with the car.

What about being at a drive in movie (yes I still go to them), I don't want to be that a-hole that blinds everyone's night vision. even if for a moment.

I've tried selecting off, after getting in but BEFORE hitting the brake pedal, didn't help.

Not sure about the headlights but the drl and the fog lights stay off with 6.2 if you manually turn them off. I sat in the car for a while last night and turned them both off. Then today I pulled into our gsrsge after work and I was confused because the lights were not on when I pulled into the garage. Then I noticed that my drl and fog lights were still set to off. This never happened before 6.2.

Not sure about the headlights but the drl and the fog lights stay off with 6.2 if you manually turn them off. I sat in the car for a while last night and turned them both off. Then today I pulled into our gsrsge after work and I was confused because the lights were not on when I pulled into the garage. Then I noticed that my drl and fog lights were still set to off. This never happened before 6.2.

This is interesting. I don't have 6.2 yet, but I'll check as soon as I get it.

Weren't the DRL supposed to be on at all times while the car is on and/or driving? I can see we can set everything off, including DRL, if the car is in park, but they go on as soon as you hit D (which is fine, and makes sense). But again, I don't have 6.2 yet, so... to be checked.