Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You Read This License Plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun though. And in the 5% chance that the guy gets a letter, he might consider that big brother is watching next time he wants to pass on a double line.
Is that fun for you? That’s a while separate issue.

And I can guarantee the type of person who would do this is not going to give a flying F about a letter in the mail from “big brother”. Especially since it seems all they are able to do is…send a letter.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4 and Jo060
Wow. What a giant waste of time and effort to try and get the state to mail someone a letter. Jesus.
People waste far more time on these forums endlessly venting about FSD/AP or whatever feature on Teslas to no useful end, so I don't really see this as particularly time wasting, especially if the effort brings out tips that can be have practical applications to other cases where identifying the plate is more critical. For example, the Smog website and knowing the pickup plate pattern would certainly be useful to other efforts.

Here's a Google Drive link for the original file: Smoking Truck Original.mp4

Thanks.
Whatever tool you used to cut out that portion out messed up the indexing, so I couldn't use the forensic tool (it gives errors on frame seeking).

Had to extract the frames using ffmpeg and manually stack them in photoshop. Here are results:
Single frame level adjustment:
single_level.png

4 frame alignment/resize stack, overlay, level adjustment:
overlay_4stack.png

Only questionable are the 4th (can be either 4 or 2), 5th (looks like 2 but missing bottom), and last digits.

The initial guess of 9 for last digit may seem to make sense at first glance, but if you look at the CA font for 9, it doesn't seem to match.
VintageLicensePlates-20200708-5D4_9298.jpg

From a view of the frame where it only catches a part of the plate on the left of the frame:
edge.png

It would seem 8 is a better match.

@3sr+buyer guess of 7F82208 seems to be the closest guess. I initially dismissed it given that and 7F82209 results in a 2003 FORD F350 SUPER DUTY and 2003 FORD F350 SRW SUPER DUTY respectively in the smog test lookup.

The car in the video has 2005-2007 refresh headlights and front bumper, so I dismissed those results originally. However doing some more searching, it seems it is common to do a bumper swap. Here's an example of a 2003 with 2005-2007 headlights and front bumper:
TvNw-CkLVuzHa6VkDFce0Cq8pLQ.jpg

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/601aa276-d298-49b7-ad45-c64a0d60c33b/

Another thing I noticed is that the taillights and rear bumper have been swapped to a 2008+ F350 version.
2003:
tKtJnrcAEcNAjeZ8ENhUoxs1HcE.jpg

2007:
5kJpnNyiJr0icl1wv1f8L-TZpJQ.jpg

2008:
I8samYTrJbzS2AshVHGRLwMmpyI.jpg

So the person is mixing and matching various parts, so can't just look at the bumpers to determine the model year.

I tried various other similar candidates for the 4th and 5th digits but they come up with different brands and models.

Last edited:
No big deal, but California will send a courtesy letter to this driver if I report him. Coal rolling is illegal in California (as is passing on a double line).

How/where do you report them? I think i tried this a couple years ago after someone did it a few times in quite intentional fashion but the website didn't seem to work anymore. Didn't really pursue it much further than that though, they'll get caught by a cop eventually as these folks cant help themselves.

Some posters in this thread need to behave with some more respect towards their fellow TMC members.

Thanks for understanding,

Bruce.
Shouldn't this thread be moved somewhere else seeing is has nothing to to with Tesla or the Model 3. I don't care what people do with their own time but this thread isn't relevant at all to this forum.

Shouldn't this thread be moved somewhere else seeing is has nothing to to with Tesla or the Model 3. I don't care what people do with their own time but this thread isn't relevant at all to this forum.

I have been contemplating that since shortly after the threads creation, when I saw it (and guessed it would bring out some of the responses it has). I was trying not to go with my first instinct on this, in case it was wrong.

With that being said, I think I agree that this is not a model 3 topic, and will relocate the thread to the off topic subforum. I left a 1 day re direct from the original location.

Reactions: heavyD and WyoDude