Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you really park next to another car and still open Falcon Wing doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you can open the falcon wing door, just not the driver nor passenger door.
David - why do you say that? The front doors opens just enough based on what the FWD sensor tells the car that is if you are doing the auto open. Otherwise there is always the option of pulling the handle and keeping your hand on the handle so the door does not swing too wide. You would do that woo any car with big doors.

David - why do you say that? The front doors opens just enough based on what the FWD sensor tells the car that is if you are doing the auto open. Otherwise there is always the option of pulling the handle and keeping your hand on the handle so the door does not swing too wide. You would do that woo any car with big doors.
I think David means that there are situations where you might be too close to another car to be able to open the front or passenger door wide enough to fit in, while the falcon wing doors will be fine.

I think David means that there are situations where you might be too close to another car to be able to open the front or passenger door wide enough to fit in, while the falcon wing doors will be fine.

Yes that is my point. Tesla is so vocal about how little space the falcon doors need to open. That's all nice, but the normal driver doors can't do that, so you still have to keep the same space as any other car needs to get in and out of your car. The falcon doors don't give you any advantage in terms of side space.

I have opened the FWD on mine without any incident at just enough space for a person to walk in between two cars.

In a similar situation with my RX, I had to climb from the rear, flatten the rear seat and climb to driver seat as none of the doors could open enough for me to get in.

Minivans with sliding doors of course have advantage in tight spaces.

I have had no issues opening the FWDs in tight horizontal space, but the tight vertical space has been an issue under certain circumstances. I would say the utility of FWDs in tight spaces is limited by the fact that opening the front doors needs the space just like a traditional car.

Now am I suggesting that the front doors should also be FWDs? :)

Reactions: xkwizit
The Tesla work around is to offer Summon.

In tight spaces, your X can self drive out of the tight space, giving you all the room you need to fully open all doors.

Same with self parking. You simply get out of the car, and Tesla will self park in a narrow space.

Most of the time, you can get in and out of the FWD's in narrower spaces than the front doors will allow.

I have a question for Summon for the Model X. Since I don't have mine yet I can't test it out.
Say you have your Summon settings configured for it to stop 4 feet away from front obstacles because that is ideal spot for your garage. Now you're traveling somewhere and need to use Summon to park it in a tight space. You need it to go all the way to 2 feet from front obstacle. Can you do this in the app?
Also, I'd never want to park my car in a tight space in public if that tight space was due to other cars on either side unless they were also Teslas :)

I have a question for Summon for the Model X. Since I don't have mine yet I can't test it out.
Say you have your Summon settings configured for it to stop 4 feet away from front obstacles because that is ideal spot for your garage. Now you're traveling somewhere and need to use Summon to park it in a tight space. You need it to go all the way to 2 feet from front obstacle. Can you do this in the app?
Also, I'd never want to park my car in a tight space in public if that tight space was due to other cars on either side unless they were also Teslas :)
Though the app allows you to stop the car before summon is complete I don't believe it has the functionality to extend the distance. Workaround would be to change the summon setting before you hop off. But a setting of 4ft is a lot of distance. In my standard sized garage, I have a total of 35in left to use/divide between the wall and garage door since the MX is pretty long in itself.

@sukhi and @loganintx - agree with you. Unless there's absolutely no choice I always look for the farthest and most open parking stalls too.

@Uncle Paul - yep agree with you too. I have a couple of times used summon on MS to bring the car out when someone parked theirs too close to mine. I actually wondered and worried how they got out of their car.

I find it amusing that when the falcon wing doors (fwd) were first announced, everyone jumped on them as being inadequate in tight spaces, with snow and rain, etc.

Then Tesla goes out of their way to show how they work better than regular doors in tight spaces, and we keep seeing a demonstration of such.

Now everyone is complaining that the fwd are too good and that the regular doors are not usable in these tight spaces where the fwd can operate.

Tesla just can't win. :rolleyes:

I find it amusing that when the falcon wing doors (fwd) were first announced, everyone jumped on them as being inadequate in tight spaces, with snow and rain, etc.

Then Tesla goes out of their way to show how they work better than regular doors in tight spaces, and we keep seeing a demonstration of such.

Now everyone is complaining that the fwd are too good and that the regular doors are not usable in these tight spaces where the fwd can operate.

Tesla just can't win. :rolleyes:

I do not think atheist what the folks including me are saying. The point being made is that the utility of FWD in tight spaces is limited by the fact that the front doors are still the traditional doors. It does not help for the rear seat occupants to get out if the driver cannot get out.

Reactions: MarkoC