Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you still buy $15,000 FSD after initially trying subscription model ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - in the market for Tesla S Plaid --- if i choose to not buy the $15,000 FSD right away with initial new car purchase and just try the subscription model for 1-3 months, can i then buy FSD for $15,000 if i wanted to ?

or is one time $15,000 payment only allowed with initial car purchase.

That is true, but the beta versions are caught up to the "regular" versions right now, so there shouldn't be a long wait. I was on 2022.44.25.3 when I requested the beta. After the 36 hour wait I went out to the car and waking it prompted an update check. That's when I received 2022.44.25.5 (FSDb). The most recent wide release version of FSDb version appears to be 2022.44.30.5. You should get it quickly because the FSDb version is not behind your current one. You can get more info on updates, rolllouts, and which versions have FSDb on Teslafi.
Even after reading all the negativity and “it’s a waste” comments, for the first time in 15 months of ownership I have an urge to rent it for a month or two. Even still, I already know what I’ll think of it.

My true fear is that I’ll get stuck in the perpetual “oh, just keep it for one more month” to see what happens next cycle.

Decisions….

Upvote 0
Even after reading all the negativity and “it’s a waste” comments, for the first time in 15 months of ownership I have an urge to rent it for a month or two. Even still, I already know what I’ll think of it.

My true fear is that I’ll get stuck in the perpetual “oh, just keep it for one more month” to see what happens next cycle.

Decisions….
I was really unsure, but just went for it and I’m so glad that I did. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty predictable and gets the job done. It’s really wild having the car stop at a sign and then make a sharp turn by itself. I was planning on just getting it for the month, but may just have to keep the subscription.

I think the best way to describe it is like having someone else driving who makes you a bit nervous sometimes since their driving is worse than yours, but overall still acceptable. For example, it may hug the center line more than you would or take a bit longer to handle an intersection. Basically like a somewhat new teen driver - not bad, just not at your level. You may feel like taking over or get a bit impatient as it slowly makes a decision, but it almost always handles it fine. And as I mentioned, when you need to take over it’s pretty predictable.

I haven’t had any sudden forced disengagements yet. Mostly I disengage myself because I get scared, lol. Approaching a sharp turn and trusting the car to not go straight into the woods takes some time to adjust.

Upvote 0
That is true, but the beta versions are caught up to the "regular" versions right now, so there shouldn't be a long wait. I was on 2022.44.25.3 when I requested the beta. After the 36 hour wait I went out to the car and waking it prompted an update check. That's when I received 2022.44.25.5 (FSDb). The most recent wide release version of FSDb version appears to be 2022.44.30.5. You should get it quickly because the FSDb version is not behind your current one. You can get more info on updates, rolllouts, and which versions have FSDb on Teslafi.
Thank you so much you have been so helpful I really appreciate it! When I got to work today I did notice the orange software update available arrow in the top right corner maybe this is it???!! 🥁🥁🥁

Reactions: cgell
Upvote 0
Thank you so much you have been so helpful I really appreciate it! When I got to work today I did notice the orange software update available arrow in the top right corner maybe this is it???!! 🥁🥁🥁
Yes, it is very likely that the update will be a version with beta. If you’re inpatient and have good cell service you could use your phone as a hotspot to download it at work.

Reactions: danakchandler
Upvote 0

*THAT'S* your true fear of using FSD?!? You are one brave soldier, my friend. My true fear would be that me and some innocent family would die a fiery death because I let some mediocre software drive the car.

it is like having someone else driving who makes you a bit nervous sometimes since their driving is worse than yours

... And this is exactly what I mean. I've driven with people who make me nervous like this, but then never a second time. If I hang out with that person again, I'm the driver... or I won't go.

Upvote 0
I was really unsure, but just went for it and I’m so glad that I did. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty predictable and gets the job done. It’s really wild having the car stop at a sign and then make a sharp turn by itself. I was planning on just getting it for the month, but may just have to keep the subscription.

I think the best way to describe it is like having someone else driving who makes you a bit nervous sometimes since their driving is worse than yours, but overall still acceptable. For example, it may hug the center line more than you would or take a bit longer to handle an intersection. Basically like a somewhat new teen driver - not bad, just not at your level. You may feel like taking over or get a bit impatient as it slowly makes a decision, but it almost always handles it fine. And as I mentioned, when you need to take over it’s pretty predictable.

I haven’t had any sudden forced disengagements yet. Mostly I disengage myself because I get scared, lol. Approaching a sharp turn and trusting the car to not go straight into the woods takes some time to adjust.
Whelp…did it. Now in queue for beta. First drive….20 miles mixed highway and city yielded a perfect 100 safety score. Next four weeks will determine renewal decision.

Upvote 0
*THAT'S* your true fear of using FSD?!? You are one brave soldier, my friend. My true fear would be that me and some innocent family would die a fiery death because I let some mediocre software drive the car.

I run that same risk EVERY time I jump in the car with my wife driving….

... And this is exactly what I mean. I've driven with people who make me nervous like this, but then never a second time. If I hang out with that person again, I'm the driver... or I won't go.

Upvote 0
...My true fear would be that me and some innocent family would die a fiery death because I let some mediocre software drive the car.
If I thought it was that bad I wouldn't use it. It's not perfect, but if you're using it as intended it isn't as bad as people make it seem IMO.

...I've driven with people who make me nervous like this, but then never a second time. If I hang out with that person again, I'm the driver... or I won't go.
I get nervous as a passenger with most drivers to be honest. Sure, there are some who are bad enough that I won't get back in a car with them, but FSDb has not been that bad in my experience. That being said it's still somewhat new to me, so I guess I can't say for sure it will never scare me to that level.

Reactions: danakchandler
Upvote 0
Yes, it is very likely that the update will be a version with beta. If you’re inpatient and have good cell service you could use your phone as a hotspot to download it at work.
Oh yeah it was the beta!! Never have I been more excited for my morning 1 hour commute into Baltimore city!!!
43C181B5-F732-4823-9972-92BF724FEF0A.jpeg

Upvote 0
If I thought it was that bad I wouldn't use it. It's not perfect, but if you're using it as intended it isn't as bad as people make it seem IMO.

I get nervous as a passenger with most drivers to be honest. Sure, there are some who are bad enough that I won't get back in a car with them, but FSDb has not been that bad in my experience. That being said it's still somewhat new to me, so I guess I can't say for sure it will never scare me to that level.
Mixed feelings so far on the FSD beta. Some days it’s great, some days it acts like a distracted teenage girl 🤦‍♀️

Upvote 0
How do you like it so far? Any good/bad experiences?
Same as everybody else’s.

I have been playing with smart summon and for me, it’s worked perfectly every time. I mean it is slow and “deliberate”, but from parking lot spot to restaurant lobby is kinda fun, cool, neat, and slow…all at once. Would be better with 3 or 4x range. But otherwise, I become “that guy” showing off his fancy RC car 🤪

City driving, aka, FSDb…. Wife won’t “allow it” with her or kiddos, so it’s only me when I’m be bopping around.
I‘ve had the usual takeovers and WTH (sometimes WTF) is the car doing.

Remain a Tesla lover but I live in the real world. We are 3+ years away from this being ready, and certainly not with my 2021 hardware.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Think the answer is no on both counts but I’ll ask:
1. If you pay the $6k for Enhanced AP and decide later to upgrade to FSD does that $6k count towards the $15k?
2. If over the course of paying the monthly subscription you reach $15k, does it become permanently installed?

Upvote 0
Think the answer is no on both counts but I’ll ask:
1. If you pay the $6k for Enhanced AP and decide later to upgrade to FSD does that $6k count towards the $15k?
2. If over the course of paying the monthly subscription you reach $15k, does it become permanently installed?

I suspect after subscribing for a month, you'll have a better idea of how much you value it. Likely not enough to subscribe for long enough to reach $15k, or pay $15k outright. I don't read a lot of posts of owners who feel like their $15k FSD purchase was a worthwhile investment.

Upvote 0

I have been playing with smart summon and for me, it’s worked perfectly every time. I mean it is slow and “deliberate”, but from parking lot spot to restaurant lobby is kinda fun, cool, neat, and slow…all at once. Would be better with 3 or 4x range. But otherwise, I become “that guy” showing off his fancy RC car 🤪

City driving, aka, FSDb…. Wife won’t “allow it” with her or kiddos, so it’s only me when I’m be bopping around.

Remain a Tesla lover but I live in the real world. We are 3+ years away from this being ready, and certainly not with my 2021 hardware.

I hear you, Tesla is great but this FSD just isn’t quite predictable enough to use consistently, too many WTF moments for sure. Phantom hard breaking, poor lane changes, creep, etc. when on the highway it’s okay but definitely not city streets.

Upvote 0
I removed FSD from the car I'm ordering because I'm going to lease the car and it just doesn't make sense to spend $15k on that option if I can subscribe to it for $199 a month. So, if I don't order FSD with the car initially, it will still have the hardware and I just need to subscribe to FSD to make it work?
Curious if anyone can confirm this - if you order order the car with FSD, does the $15k get included in the price of the vehicle on which (at least in California) sales tax and DMV registration fees are based on? If so it would seem to me that's one more reason not to order FSD with the car.

Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0