Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you still buy $15,000 FSD after initially trying subscription model ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - in the market for Tesla S Plaid --- if i choose to not buy the $15,000 FSD right away with initial new car purchase and just try the subscription model for 1-3 months, can i then buy FSD for $15,000 if i wanted to ?

or is one time $15,000 payment only allowed with initial car purchase.

Hi - in the market for Tesla S Plaid --- if i choose to not buy the $15,000 FSD right away with initial new car purchase and just try the subscription model for 1-3 months, can i then buy FSD for $15,000 if i wanted to ?

Yes. I understand you can buy FSD anytime, even when you are only renting it.

Upvote 0

Yes, you can purchase it at any time after you get the car. Setting aside the opinions of others posters, doing a monthly subscription first to see if you think its worth the $$ is probably a sensible approach.

Upvote 0
I removed FSD from the car I'm ordering because I'm going to lease the car and it just doesn't make sense to spend $15k on that option if I can subscribe to it for $199 a month. So, if I don't order FSD with the car initially, it will still have the hardware and I just need to subscribe to FSD to make it work?

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
I removed FSD from the car I'm ordering because I'm going to lease the car and it just doesn't make sense to spend $15k on that option if I can subscribe to it for $199 a month. So, if I don't order FSD with the car initially, it will still have the hardware and I just need to subscribe to FSD to make it work?
Yes, the vehicle has the same hardware whether or not you buy FSD. There is no difference if you buy or subscribe other than the pricing.

Upvote 0
Yes, usually within a couple days after requesting beta you will get a software update to a version with FSDb. In my case it took 36 hours after requesting to get the update.
Thanks. I’ve heard that if users are on a higher version of the software ie. 2022.28 or higher they won’t get beta. Do you know anything about that? I subscribed yesterday so hoping to get beta. I have 2022.44.25.3

Upvote 0
Thanks. I’ve heard that if users are on a higher version of the software ie. 2022.28 or higher they won’t get beta. Do you know anything about that? I subscribed yesterday so hoping to get beta. I have 2022.44.25.3
That is true, but the beta versions are caught up to the "regular" versions right now, so there shouldn't be a long wait. I was on 2022.44.25.3 when I requested the beta. After the 36 hour wait I went out to the car and waking it prompted an update check. That's when I received 2022.44.25.5 (FSDb). The most recent wide release version of FSDb version appears to be 2022.44.30.5. You should get it quickly because the FSDb version is not behind your current one. You can get more info on updates, rolllouts, and which versions have FSDb on Teslafi.

Upvote 0