Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - How is your Wh/km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes me feel better about my ridiculous 268 Wh/km in February doing 2910km.
It brought my lifetime average up from 190 wh/km at the end of January to 196 wh/km at the end of February. Lifetime km is 39010km.
Looking forward to soon getting summertime averages of 169Wh/km like last year.

I think I just proved the AC is not as efficient as the windows rolled down.

My A/C has been broken for a little over a week and have had to drive without.

Yesterday I drove 122 KM from Bobcageon to Scarborough. I did this trip using and average of 161 W/KM having all four windows rolled down approximately 2 inches. This was better that rated mileage as I left with 220KM range and arrived with approximately 108 KM left. I did about 10 KM/H over the speed limit on all rural roads and 10 KM/H over on the 115/35. The 401 was a little slower than average as it was stop and go from the 115/35 all the way to Whitby, and the remainder was 15 over the limit into Scarborough.

This trip under normal conditions I average ~190 W/KM.

My W/KM have never been better in the last week as I have had to drive with the windows open.

Is anyone else interested in trying this out... providing its not to hot!

Here's an interesting example which demonstrates the efficiency of regenerative braking and low speeds: I went from Victoria to Duncan, which involves going up 352 m and back down again, a distance of 64 km, 10.2 kWh, 158 Wh/km. In 30 degrees C with the climate control set to 20. What's the trick? I actually went the speed limit: either 80 km/h or 90 km/h. I pretty much just let the cruise control do its thing, either adding power or regenerating as required to maintain speed. Easy peasy. Just steer.

Update: same thing, two days later, climate control off, temperatures about 20-22 C: 143 Wh/km.

Last edited:
Can someone clarify...

Clearly, the heating and cooling system will add wH's to the per km average when driving. If the car is parked and the AC (for example) is turned on via the phone app, will the consumed power be applied to the running average? Or does it just 'get lost' because the car wasn't switched on and actively in use?

I've noted vampire draw and cooling draw against rate km's remaining, but haven't noticed whether the trip meter also shows the consumption.

Can someone clarify...

Clearly, the heating and cooling system will add wH's to the per km average when driving. If the car is parked and the AC (for example) is turned on via the phone app, will the consumed power be applied to the running average? Or does it just 'get lost' because the car wasn't switched on and actively in use?

I've noted vampire draw and cooling draw against rate km's remaining, but haven't noticed whether the trip meter also shows the consumption.

It isn't included. I think that's pretty clear. Just the other day I ran the air conditioning for over an hour while we were away from the car. The consumption per unit distance afterward was pretty much the same as before, i.e. no "hit" for consuming about 1 kWh without moving. It's only calculating the average when the car is "on", it seems.

2500km in our first week with our CPO S85.

Almost all highway, and very rarely did anything pass me...

uc?export=view&id=0BxKqViysm8j3S3Z6Sy0xZVdKYjg.jpg

It isn't included. I think that's pretty clear. Just the other day I ran the air conditioning for over an hour while we were away from the car. The consumption per unit distance afterward was pretty much the same as before, i.e. no "hit" for consuming about 1 kWh without moving. It's only calculating the average when the car is "on", it seems.
I did a Kamloops - Williams Lake return trip yesterday (a story in itself...). At one point I did confirm what you said. And I did see the difference between the trip meter and another spot in the data presented... can't recall where as I was driving when I notice the discrepancy. I'll have to poke around and see if I can replicate what I saw, but my take-away was exactly as you say - the trip meter shows driving consumption only.

I disagree. The car uses significantly less energy when the A/C system is off. I still used the vent and took in outside air.

You disagree with whom?

The car does use less energy when the climate control is off. I've seen enough instances of "same route, different temperature" that I'm convinced that it includes all loads when the car is on. Latest example: a 65 km route which consumed 158 Wh/km on the day it was 32 C, but only 143 Wh/km on the day it was 20 C. I used cruise control set to the speed limit (a low speed limit - 80 km/h much of the way) both times.

When the car is "off", however (parked, not in drive), energy consumed is NOT counted in the trip meter. The example I gave was of running the climate control for over an hour to keep the car at 20 C when the outside temperature was 32 C. This consumed over 1 kWh, yet that was not reflected in the trip meter of the next trip.

I hope this is clear. If you think something I've said above is wrong, let me know. With evidence, preferably. :)

Something I find very lacking in the trip meter system is the absence of additional information that you typically find in the trip computer of just about every other car out there...

• traveling time (ignition-on time in ICE)
  • average speed

With the wizardry available to the designers, adding those items would seem to be trivial. As well, they could add

• average exterior temperature
  • elevation gain
  • elevation loss
  • standard deviation on average speed

I would also like to be able to change the kW needle on the right of the speedo to read instantaneous Wh/km instead. THAT would be interesting to play with!!

It almost seems like an 'advanced mode' setting is needed to allow the curious and technically-inclined to see more of the data that we KNOW is in the system! It would be overwhelming to some drivers, but not to others. Toggling 'advanced mode' would satisfy plenty of our curiosity! :cool:

You disagree with whom?

The car does use less energy when the climate control is off. I've seen enough instances of "same route, different temperature" that I'm convinced that it includes all loads when the car is on. Latest example: a 65 km route which consumed 158 Wh/km on the day it was 32 C, but only 143 Wh/km on the day it was 20 C. I used cruise control set to the speed limit (a low speed limit - 80 km/h much of the way) both times.

When the car is "off", however (parked, not in drive), energy consumed is NOT counted in the trip meter. The example I gave was of running the climate control for over an hour to keep the car at 20 C when the outside temperature was 32 C. This consumed over 1 kWh, yet that was not reflected in the trip meter of the next trip.

I hope this is clear. If you think something I've said above is wrong, let me know. With evidence, preferably. :)

With beeerock... the A/C is counted in the Wh/km.

With beeerock... the A/C is counted in the Wh/km.
When I say 'driving consumption', I mean with all loads included... motors, HVAC, sound system, headlights, the USB port charging my phone... when the car is on and I'm in it.

If I leave the car in the parking lot and turn on the HVAC with the phone app, that consumption doesn't seem to be averaged in with the Wh/km value in the trip display.

When I say 'driving consumption', I mean with all loads included... motors, HVAC, sound system, headlights, the USB port charging my phone... when the car is on and I'm in it.

If I leave the car in the parking lot and turn on the HVAC with the phone app, that consumption doesn't seem to be averaged in with the Wh/km value in the trip display.

Ok thanks for the clarification. We are both on the same page now.