Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - How is your Wh/km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another good example of why Toronto Hydro should be quoting all-in rates on our bills! About half the rate is buried in distribution charges and other fees, which bring the total price per kWh closer to 15 cents off peak.

Yes! Pet peeve of mine too. The distribution charges are mostly usage based and so should be shown in any per KWh price.

Try charging at a seasonal residence in Hydro One territory and the rates are .20 to .24 cents per KWh!

As I've recently been researching solar energy I've discovered why they don't lump all the usage based stuff together. This way I can sell them my generated power at $0.08/kWh during their highest demand times, and then buy it back from them in low demand periods for $0.14/kWh... Nice scam if you're the power company.

My numbers for June

3685.6 KM for 733.7KW/H @ 199W/Km

This steadily going down per month. I do roughly a 70% highway and 30% city. Some tips I have found for improving your W/Km are coast when you can ( bring the power needle as close to zero when you can). Also use full regen, (coast as long as you can and then let the car regenerate as close to 60KW as you can). These two tips dramatically reduce your W/km.

BTW I am not a particularly slow driver ;)

Interestingly, I am getting very similar numbers in my Smart ED.

I average 210Wh/km in the winter, and 180 in the summer.
Then again, this is 100% city driving, and driving with no care for ECO rating as my commute is short enough that I never have range issues.

I've taken my Smart ED on the highway to see the usage at 120km/h and it's about 230Wh/km, which is less efficient than the Tesla, and all due to the fact the Smart ED is a brick to the wind. :)

May be a silly question but I have not range charged my car in quite a while.

How many Km should I get on a 85KW battery?

Somewhere around 430 km.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, 85kw with 75000+km and the lifetime avg wh/km is currently 202 Wh/km.

It has been trending slowly down, but will probably go up a bit this winter, and now that there are so many more superchargers around, I will be driving faster on long trips.
:biggrin:

I'm a pretty conservative driver though I do like to punch it once in a while to intimidate obnoxious drivers, and I gravitate toward curvaceous roads.

My average over 11 months and 28,000 km is 187 Wh/km.

That will go up a few points to just about 190 Wh/km in the next month of cool Nov-Dec weather, I suspect. I have left Trip B alone since driving the car home (60 km) from delivery.

In spring/fall commuting with windows down, never exceeding 90 kph, I was routinely seeing 155 Wh/km, and would occasionally hit the 140's at low points in the valleys. Of course that would head up toward rated on the highway at 110-120 kph or so. I bursted up to 140 kph only once on the NJ turnpike when it was deserted. AC did not make a great deal of difference in temperatures up to 35 C; maybe 10% at most.

My memory is a bit faded about last winter, but I seem to recall 250 Wh/km being on the dial at times, or even 300 briefly during battery preheating. Still it was offset by the summer month numbers in the average to date.

Your wattage may vary!

Last edited:
The second time I have done it in two weeks and both times I only got 216.

The first time I didn't realize until 10-15 KM down the road. Should I contact service?

Every day I have a starting KM of 375-376 (80%) is this what you get too?

Did you mean to say 216, or 416? And 80% or 90%?

What you describe for an 80% charge sounds to me like a 90% charge. i.e. select one notch from the end. When charging to 90% I usually see 378 km rated range.

90% giving 378 would suggest 100% is 420. I haven't done a 100% charge in quite some time, but what you report (if it's 416, not 216!) sounds to me to be in the right ballpark, and nothing to worry about.

UPDATE: Just for kicks, I had the car charge to 100% and it shows 421 km.

Last edited: