Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - Maps update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the 2018.12 a couple of weeks ago.

When navigating today I noticed that I too have the new navigation software. Maps on the big screen frankly looked identical as previously noted.

Changes seemed to be

1. New voice (arguably worse and more androgynous.. To steal a line from Jeremy Clarkson she sounds a bit like a warden at a women's prison)
2. Lots of active labelling of road names / streets when navigating somewhere, only on the gauge cluster. This is nice and is appreciated.

Overall I Dont really think it's worth this much hype. If you don't have it yet don't feel bad.

Also interesting to note, the behaviour persists where the car defaults to 70 max speed in autopilot despite obviously being on a 50 km long stretch of 80 kmh highway, because it either hasnt seen a speed limit sign yet, or in some time. Really terrible programming. Why can I set autopilot to 45kmh over the limit on a major highway yet I can't set it to even equal the limit on a rural highway because of a poor limitation of the software. If speed limits are gps based it ought to know there's an 80 sign just a km back before I joined this road , even though I didn't pass it.

Also I didn't receive any notification of the update.

The photo below shows the new labelling and the annoying 70 limit.
20180422_123601.jpg

Last edited:
For mine currently running 10.4 with AP2, I find that the map on the centre console doesn't automatically zoom in and out according to the car's speed like my previous Tesla with AP1. Does that ever get fixed?

On mine (Still running 10.4 with AP2) the map zooms out when i get on to a highway and zooms back in when i get off the highway. Has nothing to do with speed on mine. Has been working like this since I got the car.

What exactly changes with this. It looks to me like the maps have changed on the dash as shown in the photo above. But I don't notice anything different on the MCU.I am on 2018.14.2
That's what I'm saying...not much. Not worth the hype.

The new browser However would be welcomed. You should have that? Makes some sites usable that weren't before and makes all sites quicker for pre '18 cars.

I received 2018.14 about a week ago and my browser performance is definitely worse than before.

I normally only use the Tesla Waze site on it and now it won't even completely download the page half of the time.

I've tried rebooting and still no improvement. Anyone else notice this update has made things worse?

Also, I have not received the map update yet.

Does the new map system give better or more up-to-date navigation routes? The old system keeps trying to route me through a road that doesn't exist anymore.

From the few drives I did in the city with the new maps, it guides me through new roads (fall 2017) and seems to recommend the best route based on traffic.

The maps on the instrument panel seem to finally be in sync with the maps on the center display.

I just tried it this morning on a section of the ring road here that has been open for about a year. Old nav would route me on a tortuous route because it didn't know the nice new 4-lane freeway existed (despite being clearly shown on the MCU map); this morning, it sent me right where it should have. So, score one for the new nav in Edmonton at least.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
I got the 2018.14.2 update last week on 4/19 but did not get the maps update at the same time.

but today after I had left the car parked for a while (not at home), I came back to the car and found the red exclamation mark notification at the top of the screen. when I pressed it, a message displayed saying "Navigation needs service. Incorrect maps loaded", or something to that effect. I was going to take a picture of it with my phone but before I could, the 17" display rebooted by itself.

When it came back after rebooting, the screen showed release notes for what's new including "new Navigation (Beta)". I loaded a destination in the Nav and I now notice the new Maps UI on the dash display (e.g. showing side street names along your route). The nav voice seems a bit different than before, but otherwise haven't yet noticed much else new

2.5 S 2018.14.2 Toronto just received the map updates after several days of receiving the firmware update, both via wifi
Autopilot and navigation are now both really amazing and very useable with most types of driving, on and off highway, though of course have to be constantly attentive.
I wonder if all the cameras are being used now?