Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - Maps update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2013 updated late last week and I’m just heading home after a drive to Edmonton. I believe that the text on the MCU is clearer now and always sized correctly, but I haven’t noticed any other changes on the MCU.

The big improvement is on the dash screen. Street labelling is much better and I like how the view changes from “looking down the road” to “overhead” as you approach a turn. Streetname labelling as you approach and pass streets is rather nice.

In the past I’ve used the navigation system primarily as entertainment as it often lagged behind, didn’t provide enough information (upcoming streetnames), and just chose routes that made no sense or were flat out wrong. I find the updated system is now actually useful!

I haven’t used the updated maps to plot routes in areas that I am familiar so I can’t really comment on if the routing has been improved. I also haven’t bothered with the voice prompts in the past, because I didn’t really like being nagged, particularly when the prompts provided were late in coming.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I like how the view changes from “looking down the road” to “overhead” as you approach a turn.

Yes that is a huge improvement. I've always disliked when the system switched to a faux picture of the off ramp - I've had the same complaint for some portable GPS units I've used. Nice idea that doesn't work. They remove too much contextual information especially in complex interchanges.

Got the new voice, but the maps look the same on the center console. Dash maps are different now, and I like that they got rid of those stupid static images trying to show turns/ramps. Still mispronounces street names, but I’m ok with that. It’s funny to laugh at now and then.

The new voice is less robotic, and less harsh IMHO.

Didn’t get an update though, this just showed up one morning.

Yes that is a huge improvement. I've always disliked when the system switched to a faux picture of the off ramp - I've had the same complaint for some portable GPS units I've used. Nice idea that doesn't work. They remove too much contextual information especially in complex interchanges.

THAT'S what's missing. Actually, I didn't mind that sort of representation, and had forgotten about it until you mentioned it here.

Reactions: mrElbe
Got the new navigation today. Not a happy camper.

Old Navigation - Divided highway: At an upcoming exit there was a 3 km and 1 km voice warning, then 300 meters and final exit.
Non Divided Highway: At an upcoming turn there was a 1 km voice warning, then 300 meters and final exit.
After turn: Voice information on how many kilometers to next instruction eg: " Drive for 8 kilometers "

New Navigation - Divided highway: At an upcoming exit voice warnings are at 2 km and 200 meters and final exit.
Non Divided Highway: At an upcoming turn there is a warning at 200 meters and final exit.
After turn: Voice information not existent.

I feel the old navigation gave me advance instructions sooner and was more informative.

Couldn't agree more. I've been running on 2018.12 for 3 weeks now but since I've been out in NC until yesterday and only on LTE I hadn't received the new maps.

Got the new maps this morning. Wow what an improvement for the driver cluster! That feels like a top of the line navigation system.

Center MCU had already a noticeable improvement with .12 and as I found out on Monday getting out of Manhattan, it was already doing smart reroutes based on traffic, so I ended up driving through small streets in NJ to HWY17 and saved a good 25 minutes in the process (Had time to Supercharge at Paramus SC and arrive in Newburg 10 minutes before my buddy who used a good ole Garmin in his Odyssey) Other improvement .12 had prior to the improved maps was improved sharpness and added detail to the Google maps on the MCU.

All in all, that was a real nice upgrade. 'Tis why I'm not about to buy anything else but Tesla anytime soon.

Now, the waiting for .14 and quicker MCU has begun. :)

On to requesting additional layers to the Google maps on the MCU: Topographic and weather (radar, temps and winds) Heheheh...

Reactions: SmartElectric
Yup same here, still on 10.4 on my MX 2017 75D AP2 connected to WiFi at home...probably didn't help I was doing a trip from Vaughan to Miami a couple of weeks ago lol. Hoping for an update soon.

Well, I finally got an update on Monday to 2018.16 but an still awaiting the maps update. I'll be curious to see if it does better on optimizing routes compared to the current one.

Reactions: Shaz
Yup same here, still on 10.4 on my MX 2017 75D AP2 connected to WiFi at home...probably didn't help I was doing a trip from Vaughan to Miami a couple of weeks ago lol. Hoping for an update soon.

You should post a new thread on this experience! I've been thinking about such a trip as well but haven't been able to get the family on board yet.

Reactions: Shaz
You should post a new thread on this experience! I've been thinking about such a trip as well but haven't been able to get the family on board yet.
We did a trip to the Sarasota area and used Superchargers all the way. There was no need to find alternatives en route and many hotels have L2 chargers, some are Tesla chargers, even some with a Supercharger in their parking lot. Use your nav or one of the planning tools to map it out. Just takes a little planning re overnight stops, meals, etc.

Reactions: rpm001 and Shaz