Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Supercharging Rates Just Increased...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like that they decreased the price after customer complaints. The 1st picture took 2days ago vs the 2nd picture today.
Still more expensive than before which is 20/40 cents.
E95E1A79-42D9-4BE1-BC2A-C2B2E3D6FAB3.jpeg

5D5D1F06-6159-45F2-BFDF-1D9DE1454482.jpeg

The price hike of supercharging to 0.44/0.22 in Canada, 0.28/kwh or 0.26/0.13 in the States will prevent me from buying a Model 3 although I am a happy Model S owner. A Prius will cost less to run on highway as I can easily achieve 4.7L/100KM in addition to the fact it is much more convenient going on a road trip in a gas car.

Don't know about the US, but here in Ontario the price was $0.20 and $0.40 before wasn't it? So 10% change on average.

Even with free supercharging the Prius is cheaper over the life of the car since it is half the price.

And an old used civic or corolla is probably cheaper than a new Prius.

Factor in the price of the carbon emissions and we'd be talking a different formula. Society/government hasn't cracked down on pollution yet like we did with smoking. China's feeling it with their smog problem; there's a reason why all the EV start ups are in China. There's a push to clean up the air.

Keep burning gas if you want our air to become polluted like it was back in the early 2000's. Our limited green space in the city can only scrub so much CO2 and other toxic gasses.

Don't know about the US, but here in Ontario the price was $0.20 and $0.40 before wasn't it? So 10% change on average.

Even with free supercharging the Prius is cheaper over the life of the car since it is half the price.

And an old used civic or corolla is probably cheaper than a new Prius.

Oh, yeah, you are right. But don't advertise it will have lower running cost without purchasing cost being factored in.

Number of people has already come out with Cost of Ownership Calculator. It has proved that it actually costs less in 5 years and esp 8 years of ownership. Having said that, once you are a happy Model 3 owner, you don't look back.

Costs less than what? An Audi, BMW or Mercedes, sure. A Prius or used civic? I'd like to see the math. That probably assumes a lot of km of driving.

Agreed though. I'm a happy Model 3 owner and definitely prefer it over my cheap other car.

Number of people has already come out with Cost of Ownership Calculator. It has proved that it actually costs less in 5 years and esp 8 years of ownership. Having said that, once you are a happy Model 3 owner, you don't look back.

Costs less than what? An Audi, BMW or Mercedes, sure. A Prius or used civic? I'd like to see the math. That probably assumes a lot of km of driving.

Agreed though. I'm a happy Model 3 owner and definitely prefer it over my cheap other car (2003 Toyota Echo), but no way would I save money replacing that car that I bought 3 years ago for $3000, and takes 6-7L/100km.

Agreed though. I'm a happy Model 3 owner and definitely prefer it over my cheap other car (2003 Toyota Echo), but no way would I save money replacing that car that I bought 3 years ago for $3000, and takes 6-7L/100km.

It hands down beats Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, <Insert any luxury brand>. Don't compare it to a Yaris for cost - that's like comparing an Alienware PC to Dell desktop.

It hands down beats Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, <Insert any luxury brand>. Don't compare it to a Yaris for cost - that's like comparing an Alienware PC to Dell desktop.

The poster I was originally responding to said he wasn't going to buy a model 3 (though he owns a model s) because of the supercharger price increase because a Prius is cheaper to fuel on road trips. My point was a Prius is cheaper even if supercharging were free.

Prius is a great car (for a short city commute) and has the range to go on road trips - but on road trips, it's no better than any gas car. Can't have it all in one car and not pay for it financially.

People who have Model S do drive a lot, so it may pay off for them vs the Prius. Lord knows the warranty program loses Tesla money.

Don't get me wrong, I own a Model S which I am quite happy with. That being said, ownership cost is not low either. The maintenance package price is high unless you choose not to do that according to the suggested schedule. At least, the Lawrence service guy told me "service once a year is totally waste of money" and now I would say even servicing once the other year is waste of money. Maybe you can do it every 4 years. The problem is, Tesla should let all garages repair its cars instead of charging $150/hr labor. And the repairing cost does defy the claim it is a low running cost car. i understand most dealerships charge $150/hr labor, however you can bring your car to any garage and a good number of them charges $75/hr and really do a decent job.
I also know owners who are already doing repairs on model S with 3rd party parts since bringing a Model S into service center really bites.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck

check this out

I made a TCO calculator for Model 3 vs Other Cars

It may not be completely accurate, but I appreciate how it's competitive to all those ICE car. I owned a Mercedes C300, so M3 beats it hands down.