Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Supercharging Rates Just Increased...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Ontario, now the government funded L3 is cheaper than Tesla SCs.

64347E75-91BD-4D68-ADEC-5BF9319B6955.png

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
We can argue about efficiency between ICE and Tesla till the cows come home. The fact to the matter is we are at the frontier, and even Ford is going to BEV/hybrid with the F series (I doubt they can within a year or two).

I am just glad we have Superchargers. In five years, charging on the road would be common and easily accessible, and probably cheaper.

Fuel price will increase in April 1, let's not forget that. To me personally, having a Model 3 just make me feel Young, and that's important :).

Correct me if I'm wrong but the price increases wouldn't be so bad if we were billed for energy usage instead of time, no? In Canada since we are billed by time, if we get stuck charging at like 65kw vs say 110kw due to slow Superchargers this will kill the value proposition would it not?

I may be out to lunch here but urban chargers, congested or malfunctioning superchargers can lead to this costing more?

Reactions: Vintre
Correct me if I'm wrong but the price increases wouldn't be so bad if we were billed for energy usage instead of time, no? In Canada since we are billed by time, if we get stuck charging at like 65kw vs say 110kw due to slow Superchargers this will kill the value proposition would it not?

I may be out to lunch here but urban chargers, congested or malfunctioning superchargers can lead to this costing more?

Yes paying by time can be unoptimal, its very easy to just pull the plug as soon as the rate starts to drop. Its cheaper to super charge twice for 50% than once for 100%.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

Yes, our laws doesn't allow direct sale of kWs to the end user. Must go through a third, fourth, fifth, sixth resale parties ;)

Trip average Wh/km = 195
kWh Added at Kingston Supercharger = 48.3

So (bad math included) that's 48300/195 = 247.69 Km actual?
Correct. So rounding to 250 km for easier math, the C350 getting 7L/100km on premium at $1.27/L would cost $22.23. The Civic getting 6L/100km on regular at $1.05/L would cost $15.75. The supercharging at $19 was right about in the middle.

As you can see, all such calculations are highly sensitive to the EV efficiency, the ICEV efficiency, and to local gas prices. And unless you're actually cross-shopping the two cars against each other, it's sort of a pointless exercise IMO. Especially as you have to account for how much of your charging will be at superchargers vs. other public vs. home/work, etc.

Correct. So rounding to 250 km for easier math, the C350 getting 7L/100km on premium at $1.27/L would cost $22.23. The Civic getting 6L/100km on regular at $1.05/L would cost $15.75. The supercharging at $19 was right about in the middle.

As you can see, all such calculations are highly sensitive to the EV efficiency, the ICEV efficiency, and to local gas prices. And unless you're actually cross-shopping the two cars against each other, it's sort of a pointless exercise IMO. Especially as you have to account for how much of your charging will be at superchargers vs. other public vs. home/work, etc.

Sorry but who's C350 is getting 7l/100km? Is this an actual reading as the 2019 C350 says 7.3 – 14.0 L/100km. I know from experience that my 2018 A4 (I believe a similar car based on engine size) was getting on average 10-11 L/100km. Using 10L for reference, that's $31.75 for 250km.

Sorry but who's C350 is getting 7l/100km? Is this an actual reading as the 2019 C350 says 7.3 – 14.0 L/100km. I know from experience that my 2018 A4 (I believe a similar car based on engine size) was getting on average 10-11 L/100km. Using 10L for reference, that's $31.75 for 250km.
I just used the numbers that @swotam used in their first comment in Post #36 of this thread. Where they said that they could get "best case 7L/100km" I think their intention was to show that even when stacking the efficiency advantage of the ICEV to it's highest advantage it didn't beat the supercharging. But again, such determinations will all be highly sensitive to vehicle efficiencies and gas prices, etc. And as I said, they aren't really worth bothering about unless you're actively shopping for a car and comparing. Once you've already got one, worrying about how much you might or might not be saving compared to prior expectations or against other vehicles isn't worth much in itself, IMO. It's only when you're trying to make a purchasing decision when it's potentially germane to anything more than internet debating.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl and swotam
Sorry but who's C350 is getting 7l/100km?
That was a best-case number based on the highway mileage rating for the 2013 C350 4Matic that I found online. I personally never got anywhere close to that with mine unless I was driving 100% highway at 100Km/h with a tailwind. Most of the time it was north of 10L/100km, something I was painfully reminded of each time I filled it up...

It's only when you're trying to make a purchasing decision when it's potentially germane to anything more than internet debating.
Agreed, once you own a Tesla the discussion of whether it’s cheaper or more expensive on any given day is likely moot. I tend to be of the opinion that, overall, it’ll cost me a lot less to operate and fuel, and that’s good enough for me. Plus, as someone else said, it makes me feel like a kid again.

I agree. I have no issue paying for the amount of energy I have taken, even at a convenience price for SC. I really don't like the billing per minute model.

Charge me for what I use, not how long it takes me to get it.

Vin

Yes it reminds me of what they do in clothes stores. They increase the price by 20% and they give you a discount of 10% ! ;-)

What i notice is that it seems to be about the same price as the other DC chargers. About 15$ an hour.

The main issue for me is that we can't charge on the other DC chargers.

I don't like beiing part of a captive market since the SC coverage is lacking.

Reactions: adaptabl