Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Supercharging Rates Just Increased...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this article a few minutes ago on Electrek, so I checked out the Tesla Canada Supercharging page and noticed the following changes:
  1. Pricing is no longer broken down by Province, there is now only pricing for Canada.
  2. Pricing has increased slightly to:
    • $ 0.50 per minute above 60 kW (previously $0.40/min)
    • $ 0.25 per minute at or below 60 kW (previously $0.20/min)
So, that's new...

PS: For those who use TeslaFi (referral link), don't forget to update your Preferences with the new pricing.

It's getting more and more expensive. However, the good news is that people won't charge forever at SuperChargers so more accessibility.

The superchargers are mostly clogged by those who have free Supercharging. They'll still be there charging whenever they want.

Those who are paying for it wouldn't really be there longer than they have to since it's costing them.

My experience has been that I end up charging just above 60kw so that I can pay double the price. Anyone else have this?

This just happened to me: paid about $8 for 135km of rated range. I was just supercharging to test something (cable won't unlock manually). I usually charge on roadtrips so battery is warm and I get higher rate of charge. But this was after stopping for dinner for about an hour and a half.

My experience has been that I end up charging just above 60kw so that I can pay double the price. Anyone else have this?

I have experienced both. Car was charging just above or below 60kWh on different occasions.

The rate increase is minimal in Alberta. Up from 44/22 cents to 50/25 cents a minute.

Let's hope they can complete Trans Canada route as well as I-15 route this year.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
I still have free supercharging.
So yesterday I only saw a maximum of 19 kW (battery was around zero degrees) and I was charging for over an hour and ten minutes.
70*.25=$17.50
$17.50/22 kWh would be about 80 cents per kWh. Is that what they would charge?

Pricing has increased slightly to:
So, that's new...

PS: For those who use TeslaFi (referral link), don't forget to update your Preferences with the new pricing.

That is supposed to be the average price in Canada. Each site can now charge a different rate based on local costs and utilization. So TeslaFi is probably going to make have to make some changes if they are going to try to make the price accurate.

Pricing has increased slightly to:

Average Price.

From Tesla's page: "Average pricing information is provided below and specific pricing for each Supercharger location is shown in the navigation application on the vehicle touchscreen."

I really hope this is to account for faster charging speeds with the new V3 SC, or else this is a really dumb move on their part with cheap gas and poor customer service/support at least here in the Maritimes. Tesla SC are just like gas stations now, I guess I’ll have to update the prices on SCBuddy.com. Route planning will now involve skipping more expensive SC, go figure. It will be cheaper for me to use my Prius (2006)on trips after this price increase, especially during cold weather.Tesla has to find a partner who needs foot traffic to pay for the SC buildout because obviously they are bleeding cash.
400km round trip last weekend Prius 20Lgas x .92=$18.04
Tesla 3 T1 33min @ .18/min=$5.94. T2 [email protected]/min=$6.84 Tax=$1.67 Total $12.78 Old Rates Lincoln SC
Tesla 3 T1 33min @ .25/min=$8.25. T2 [email protected]/min=$9.31 Tax=$2.64 Total $20.20 New Rates Lincoln SC
I’ve had much slower charge rates in colder weather
I give the advantage to my old reliable Prius in cost & time

I think it will be a good move. According to lay off news yesterday, Tesla will sell low end model 3 very soon. Tesla will not want those cars occupy the SC for long distance travelers. For ppl who got unlimited SC, it sub to them to do the free charge, but those numbers will not increase but decrease over time.

I saw this article a few minutes ago on Electrek, so I checked out the Tesla Canada Supercharging page and noticed the following changes:
  1. Pricing is no longer broken down by Province, there is now only pricing for Canada.
  2. Pricing has increased slightly to:
So, that's new...

Owning a Model 3 just got so much better... just kidding! Although I love the fact that our Model S still has free SC for life, I think that I would buy a Model 3 over a Model S with free Supercharging.

This just happened to me: paid about $8 for 135km of rated range. I was just supercharging to test something (cable won't unlock manually). I usually charge on roadtrips so battery is warm and I get higher rate of charge. But this was after stopping for dinner for about an hour and a half.

Pretty close to the same cost a gas. 135K rates will be about 100K actual in the winter. $8.00 = 9L of gas. Most ICE cars get about that milage in average driving.

Pretty close to the same cost a gas. 135K rates will be about 100K actual in the winter. $8.00 = 9L of gas. Most ICE cars get about that milage in average driving.
Exactly, Tesla SC has to be a lot cheaper than gas because of the time wasted compared to gassing up at pumps.
They have to have a better long term strategy, partner up with McDonald’s,Couche-Tard,Utility's or start a SC royalty fund like Boston Pizza or A&W to get investments.
They could sell energy products to utility’s at a discount to get better rates for SC.
Tesla will have a hard time to grow their market at these prices.

Owning a Model 3 just got so much better... just kidding! Although I love the fact that our Model S still has free SC for life, I think that I would buy a Model 3 over a Model S with free Supercharging.
Tesla will have difficult time convincing people buying the standard 3 to pay @ gas prices with the inconvenience of SC