Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CANADA Version 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked into this while I lived in a condo. My building (like most condos) used a different technology than home garage doors. I don't recall the specifics (frequency or encoding or something) but it meant homelink would not work. It also meant the generic, replacement or auto-learning remotes from your local auto centre won't work either.
Thanks Chris.
I think I'm in the same boat.

I am curious to know why this is not available to MS in Canada, do we know the reason ? Perhaps that crossed line into autonomous driving means that either the legal pre-work is not yet done or it wasn't looking so good... ??

It really is a big "small step" seeing a mass produced car drive itself, even a small distance forward with you having to be right there. Proof that there are no security locks ensuring a driver is needed to make car go. Exciting but also scary stuff, really. At least when it's plugged in I'm pretty sure there is a physical lockout preventing motion, so they can't autonomously steal away my MS in the dark of night to help build the robot army.

I am still hopeful that one day I can do this with confidence in my MS as it is configured today (or perhaps with a minor sensor suite update) in a parking garage when I forget where I parked (like today for instance) and it will come to my fob, but I am dreamer :cool: I can barely figure out most of the parking garages around here using my own swiveling 3D sensor suite :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

off topic... why not allow horn honk via fob ?? when in a parking garage, you usually don't have a phone signal... :grr

Haven't really had the chance to test it until this morning. From what I can tell, I did not get a timed nag at the 1min or 3min mark. My route did not allow for more testing. I'm driving to Burlington next weekend, I'll have a definitive answer... I'll also be able to check if the behavior of the car changes when I get in the USA ;)
Ok... I'm in Burlington right now... Driving on hwy 89 I had a timed nag at exactly 3 minutes... A couple times in a row. The nag was the same whether it was just enabled or I removed the nag by moving the steering wheel. I was driving 55mph

I looked into this while I lived in a condo. My building (like most condos) used a different technology than home garage doors. I don't recall the specifics (frequency or encoding or something) but it meant homelink would not work. It also meant the generic, replacement or auto-learning remotes from your local auto centre won't work either.
Is it possible you're dealing with a system that uses a rolling code? If so, you'll need to find the magic button the door lift itself... as explained here: Homelink Garage Door Opener Programming
I tried to program my MS for a condo (shared garage) door and during the process, the Homelink configuration in the car indicated I should be pushing the button on the garage lift unit. I didn't have a way to reach the button and for that matter, couldn't easily see it... so I've left it for another day. However, the property manager told me it was possible (others had done it) and would send me the instructions for the door lift (haven't received them yet).

In short, some systems require more than just pointing the car's remote at the car and waiting for lights to blink!