Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model 3 delivery estimates for new orders are already into June.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm scheduled to pickup the week of Sept 6th. Would you guys delay to get the new lfp batteries noe that we know they're arriving in droves? No rush on getting the car since I still have my current Audi. Higher cycle count is good but cold weather degradation could be a pot experience with south western Ontario weather.

I'm scheduled to pickup the week of Sept 6th. Would you guys delay to get the new lfp batteries noe that we know they're arriving in droves? No rush on getting the car since I still have my current Audi. Higher cycle count is good but cold weather degradation could be a pot experience with south western Ontario weather.
My buddy who got the LFP in Germany hates it during winter. Battery takes forever to charge (supercharging) but the build quality is impressive from the Chinese factory

I would like to see a comparison of standby energy consumption in subzero temperatures between NCA and LFP Model 3 SR+ for battery temperature maintenance. I also would like to see a charging curve comparison between the two at varying cold battery states. Having experienced my SR+ in Quebec winters I would not trade cold battery performance if in fact it is proven just to get the car sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlZ
My buddy who got the LFP in Germany hates it during winter. Battery takes forever to charge (supercharging) but the build quality is impressive from the Chinese factory
I don't think we're getting Chinese builds regardless of the lfp battery. It wouldn't make much sense to import the car and for tesla to pay the duties on Chinese built vehicles. More likely, they are just importing the battery packs.

I don't think we're getting Chinese builds regardless of the lfp battery. It wouldn't make much sense to import the car and for tesla to pay the duties on Chinese built vehicles. More likely, they are just importing the battery packs.
I’m pretty sure it’s been confirmed it’s only the batteries that are from China - not the whole car. Some on the main SR+ waiting room page already have their VINS from LFP models grabbed yesterday. VIN confirms Fremont build.

Have there been any real sightings of LFP M3 SR+ models in existing inventory in Canada? It sounds like some Canadian reservations got the cryptic email, but that was probably sent to all North American reservations made after a certain date. I’m starting to wonder if they aren’t selling the LFP version here due to cold weather battery concerns… I did see someone over in the main M3 SR+ waiting room from Minnesota who snagged one (hasn’t taken delivery yet) - they would see similar cold as us… it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Have there been any real sightings of LFP M3 SR+ models in existing inventory in Canada? It sounds like some Canadian reservations got the cryptic email, but that was probably sent to all North American reservations made after a certain date. I’m starting to wonder if they aren’t selling the LFP version here due to cold weather battery concerns… I did see someone over in the main M3 SR+ waiting room from Minnesota who snagged one (hasn’t taken delivery yet) - they would see similar cold as us… it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
None.

But yeah, quite a bit of data now for these LFP SR+ for warmer weather, but absolutely no data for colder

None.

But yeah, quite a bit of data now for these LFP SR+ for warmer weather, but absolutely no data for colder
There is some info out there about LFP M3’s in Europe last winter but a few differences: the ones in Europe last winter did not have the heat pump, plus from what I can see, there were software updates in the spring that may have improved the performance, but the weather was getting warmer, so I didn’t find a lot of info about cold weather performance after the update. It feels like a big unknown. I would definitely be interested in an LFP model if I just knew it wouldn’t be too crippled in January and February when it’s coldest.

There is some info out there about LFP M3’s in Europe last winter but a few differences: the ones in Europe last winter did not have the heat pump, plus from what I can see, there were software updates in the spring that may have improved the performance, but the weather was getting warmer, so I didn’t find a lot of info about cold weather performance after the update. It feels like a big unknown. I would definitely be interested in an LFP model if I just knew it wouldn’t be too crippled in January and February when it’s coldest.
I found a very interesting video but it’s in German use subtitles to watch it. Pretty interesting:

Right. As usual, the charging curve etc will improve as there is more experience in the battery / car etc. Not only Tesla does this. What you see can be set as a baseline as more data is collected and improvements are made.

Same thing is happening with the LR / Perf ones with the newer Panasonic 82kWh batteries.

Reactions: NB Hip fan
Doesn’t Bjorn have a video about the MIC 3’s performing in his cold climate? I’m not subbed to his channel so I dunno.
IIRC... he only got a MIC SR+ with LFP in the May/June timeframe, so it wasn't cold any more.

Others did comment that some German youtuber had german videos about LFP in the colder climate, but that was really early and likely can only be used as a baseline as the battery charging curve etc are consistently improved.

Reactions: Vawlkus and CarlZ
And is anyone else's EDD stuck? Mine hasn't changed for more than 2 weeks, stuck with the same dates at the end of Sept
Had EDD stuck for more than 3 weeks for end of Sept, now it's showing Oct 1-21 (ordered mid-July). Not sure if it was just updated today, which is the first day of the month, and their system automatically pushed it out for next month estimate. I don't trust the dates anyways so 🤷‍♂️