Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on huge Model 3 production consuming all the batteries produced by the Gigafactory.

That's the part I think we interpreted differently.

It even says in the link that TM will continue to purchase batteries from Panasonic overseas after the Gigafactory opens.

Good point. But there's nothing there that says the split will be based on models. The only mention of the Model 3 is that the Gigafactory will "enable capacity needed for the Model 3". That's not the same as Model 3 production consuming all the batteries produced by the Gigafactory.

I'm pretty sure that, as wayner said, the determination of whether the tariff should apply will be based on overall production, and I can't see a reason why the cells specifically for a Model S would come from Japan whereas those for a Model 3 would come from Nevada. I expect that we'll see the same cells incorporated in battery packs for all Tesla models.

I guess time will tell.

I'm in the same position as you, waiting for the 2016 model and potentially "surprise" features from Model X, and paid deposit on July 31st to lock in the price.

hi everyone, fellow Canadian here... long time lurker but finally signed up for the forums. Still on the fence and doing more research, though leaning towards a 70D

But I'm still a bit unclear about the deposit process and the mention of deferrals and lock-in of price - can anyone clarify how that works, especially amidst this talk of potential Cdn price increase?
Thanks

You absolutely need to order by Aug. 10 as there will be a price increase. You pay $2500 when you order. That price is protected and you can defer delivery until January 2016

Well, I just caught a weird bug in the design studio this morning that goes away as soon as I refresh.

The totals after incentive & gas saving are 8K$ higher than normal (current) for each of the three models and the one selected appearing on the right side is not in synch with this total, i.e. it still shows the right (current) price...

You're privy to draw your own conclusions... :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 8.46.23 AM.png

Well, I just caught a weird bug in the design studio this morning that goes away as soon as I refresh.

The totals after incentive & gas saving are 8K$ higher than normal (current) for each of the three models and the one selected appearing on the right side is not in synch with this total, i.e. it still shows the right (current) price...

You're privy to draw your own conclusions... :)

View attachment 89429

Possibly just a glitch with the rebate, because for me in Ontario the difference is $8500 (rebate amount)

According to my/our source, you may defer delivery to February now, but if you're ordering, I wouldn't wait until August 9 or 10: August 7 at the latest. Weekend may be too late for the current prices to remain valid.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned deferring specifically for getting a 2016 vehicle... but would that be the case? Or would it still be a 2015 based on model year available at order time? I mean, most cars bring out "next year's model" as early as August (most around October I'm guessing). I'm in the same boat... waffling on the decision but ready to put down a deposit. If I max defer, how sure are you that it would be considered a 2016? That matters for resale, but also insurance.

Someone mentioned deferring specifically for getting a 2016 vehicle... but would that be the case? Or would it still be a 2015 based on model year available at order time? I mean, most cars bring out "next year's model" as early as August (most around October I'm guessing). I'm in the same boat... waffling on the decision but ready to put down a deposit. If I max defer, how sure are you that it would be considered a 2016? That matters for resale, but also insurance.

To must consternation, Tesla does not adhere to the traditional "model year" paradigm. They are constantly making incremental improvements to the car, adding features here, tweaking system there and so forth. There are many, many discussions here about someone who "just missed out" on some new feature. For example, Tesla just started shipping cars with Autopilot hardware before anyone knew what it was. The hardware would show up on one person's new car but not another's when it first rolled out. To satisfy licensing and regulatory bodies, Tesla will designate cars as, for example, 2016's if they roll off the line anytime after midnight December 31st.

Thanks. And I understand and appreciate that they don't want to follow archaic paradigms. But the fact is, it is a car and car's have regulations and ingrained expectations. So whether or not Tesla wants to call my car a 2015 or a 2016 may make no difference to them. It does to me :)

Thanks. And I understand and appreciate that they don't want to follow archaic paradigms. But the fact is, it is a car and car's have regulations and ingrained expectations. So whether or not Tesla wants to call my car a 2015 or a 2016 may make no difference to them. It does to me :)
And, more importantly, it might matter to the person that you try to sell your car to in 3-4 years and cost you a few $1000.

If I'm selling this car in 3-4 years then I made the wrong decision 3-4 years earlier.
No you didn't. There may be so many new goodies in a 2019 Model S, or the successor to the Model S, that you will want to upgrade. IMHO that is one of the few downsides to buying a Tesla - the technology curve is so much steeper than ICE cars. In that way a Tesla is like a Smartphone in that it will seem very obsolete in just a few years.

I drove a Roadster a few months ago and it was a ton of fun, but technology-wise it was a generation behind my Model S. And it was only about 5 years old.