Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold nearly half a million worth of one single item to North American smart car owners, and all that was direct to owners.

That is impressive. Must be SmartieParts.com. Please buy a Tesla and figure out how to play video, and get sound, from the Tesla browser (or get a third party browser working that does that). That would make you a small fortune.

In any event, I would be interested in hearing what you ended up deciding.

Last edited:
Have been following 85D and P85D price increase in Canada since a year (waiting for my X). It's always going up.... ;-(
Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 8.14.59 PM.png

Sorry, I missed your post before mknox:

Why would they mandate how the signal has to traverse the car's systems? I don't really know, but it just seems more likely that regulators would require a specific functionality and not get in to how it's implemented. The example of the OBD-II port was mandated, but from an emission control perspective. That's why the Model S OBD-II port has nothing on it other than 12v power.

First off, "requirement" and "regulators" aren't necessarily related. It is rather more common than you might think that manufacturers agree to a self/joint council standard such as ISO. That's how OBD got started. Regulators stuck their noses in and *used* it for emissions monitoring, but that's not why it existed in the first place. It is as the name suggests: "diagnostics". An attempt at standardizing the computerized diagnostics across makes and models. But then everyone started to cheat lol.

But as for the why they would care about the "how" rather than (or in addition to) the "what"... it has to do with reliability of data and interference, but also costs of independently developing a "best practices" method. We actually see this right now with EV. If Nissan and Tesla got together and co-developed a standard for rapid charging, we'd see a lot more chargers and Leafs and Teslas would be parked side-by-side and they'd both share in development costs. Would hat be a good thing? Well it certainly could be if they both worked to the greater goals and shared equally. Or it could mean you're behind a line of 20 Leafs waiting to charge your MS because Tesla gave and Nissan took. Who knows, but that's not really my point. If we see an issue where Leafs *attempt* to use Tesla chargers, and people start dying (I have no idea if that would remotely be the case, I'm making a fictitious point) then we might see a standard enforced in the future.

This kind of happened in the 90s when Mercedes tried using some strange token ring network protocol they whipped up to transport sensor data. OK, nobody died (as far as I know), but there were huge reliability issues. MB is still recovering from that reliability reputation hit. At the same time BMW adopted CAN BUS that Bosch (I think) pioneered probably a couple decades earlier that proved to be extremely fault tolerant and, more important, reliable in an uncertain environment (and no environment is as uncertain as automotive!). How exactly we got from there to 2007's universal adoption, I don't know... and whether or not it is enforced, I don't know. But you won't find a manufacturer today, I don't think, that sends signals from a sensor (most any sensor) to the ECU, MCU, SAM or other controller without it being over a CAN network. There are other similar standards for specific systems like HVAC and airbags, although they are often also found on the CAN network for convenience.

That's why the Model S OBD-II port has nothing on it other than 12v power.
How do you figure that? There's got to be a lot more going on than 12v power. Tesla would be fully exempt from putting an OBD-II port, but there is one (I saw it today). There's no way they went through that expense to only supply voltage. I mean, I haven't tested it myself... but certainly they're using it as a diagnostics port. I should have brought my equipment with me on my drive :) I would have had the time and no prying eyes. I did consider it, but it felt a bit disingenuous as I was there to decide on buying the car, not seeing what data I could pull.

Obviously I have no first hand experience with the car, but I would be absolutely shocked if the sensors weren't on the CAN network and, if true, I'd be equally shocked if the CAN wasn't fed to the OBD-II port. If there is CAN, then I can read it. There's no encryption with CAN. Back up.. .I shouldn't say that. There is. But it isn't worth the performance hit.

Man, now I have to buy it just to see what I can see :)

How do you figure that? There's got to be a lot more going on than 12v power. Tesla would be fully exempt from putting an OBD-II port, but there is one (I saw it today). There's no way they went through that expense to only supply voltage. I mean, I haven't tested it myself... but certainly they're using it as a diagnostics port. I should have brought my equipment with me on my drive :) I would have had the time and no prying eyes. I did consider it, but it felt a bit disingenuous as I was there to decide on buying the car, not seeing what data I could pull.

Obviously I have no first hand experience with the car, but I would be absolutely shocked if the sensors weren't on the CAN network and, if true, I'd be equally shocked if the CAN wasn't fed to the OBD-II port. If there is CAN, then I can read it. There's no encryption with CAN. Back up.. .I shouldn't say that. There is. But it isn't worth the performance hit.

Man, now I have to buy it just to see what I can see :)

There's been several threads where people have poked around and all they have found is 12 volts on the OBD-II port. Tesla has another proprietary connector near the center cubby, I believe, where they connect for all of their diagnostics-type stuff. I'm not even sure if the early Model S cars have an OBD-II port. I have not been able to find one on my March, 2013 car. I had heard they started putting it in to meet some sort of regulatory compliance issue, and it was just simpler for them to install a "dummy" one rather than go through the hassle of getting an exemption from the regulations. I can't remember where I heard this from, and may be all wet on this, so don't quote me!

About 1.5 years ago, I "helped" a local company develop a tracking device for the Model S by letting them poke around with my car for a day or so in my company's garage. They didn't even bother looking for the OBD-II port and went straight to this proprietary Tesla connector.

Tesla has another proprietary connector near the center cubby, I believe, where they connect for all of their diagnostics-type stuff.

There's a panel that pops off the left side of the dashboard (facing the door). That's where they hook up their diagnostic laptop. I've also seen them pop off the little storage cubby under the touchscreen, to access another interface.

There's a panel that pops off the left side of the dashboard (facing the door). That's where they hook up their diagnostic laptop. I've also seen them pop off the little storage cubby under the touchscreen, to access another interface.

The only one I've ever seen them use on my car is the one beneath the cubby. They pop it loose and it swings down, I believe. This is also the one that the company developing the monitoring device went after. I was unaware of the one over on the left.

Doug, yours is an early car like mine. Do you have an OBD-II port? I have not seen one on mine, but I haven't pulled panels off or anything hunting for it.

I did use mine for my dashcam... pretty neat setup with a 90deg angled connector... makes a nice "no holes - no fuse mess" install.
When you say "use", do you mean just to get power? Or is your dashcam actually integrated with the systems to some extent?

If it is true that early cars didn't have one and later did, I still doubt that's for placating law makers. I just can't see a regulatory body demanding they put one in, and then being OK with it being a "dummy". I would suspect that it was a case of growing pains and they either were never required to have one and later put one in because it just makes sense from a technician's point of view, or else they were required and didn't realize it early on. But I strongly suspect the OBD does more than just output 12V. I could visually see at least 5 to 7 populated pins (I wish now I would have actually counted and/or made note of which pins were populated). While it is *possible* all 7 are just powers and ground... that makes no sense to me. Probably 1 or 2 12V, 1 or 2 5V, a couple grounds and a CAN_A and CAN_B. Quite possibly more than one set of CAN_A/B if they have multiple independent systems.

Any chance of someone posting a photo of theirs so I can see the pins? The port is located directly above where your left foot would be. It is a trapazoid shape, maybe 2 to 3 inches long and an inch wide.

At today's exchange rate, the price of the Model S could stand to increase by another 14% still. Sad that this would put Tesla out of reach for even more Canadians, but I doubt the alternative is sustainable either.
Often car dealers will use a lagged exchange rate or an average exchange rate over the last year or so rather than the current spot exchange rate.

Often car dealers will use a lagged exchange rate or an average exchange rate over the last year or so rather than the current spot exchange rate.

In the investor threads, I've seen information posted about the quarter by quarter exchange rate currency hedging, so I am familiar with this topic.
It seemed interesting that a few cars increased on the CPO, as many of the higher $ ones are not selling... but boy, looking forward to a sweet P85 as a loaner for my next service appointment. ;-)

They must be looking at trailing average prices if they are raising prices again as the spot rate is really not much different than August. Here are the month end exchange rates recently:
June 1.2494
July 1.3090
August 1.3140
Sep 1.3313
Oct 1.3080

The latest big jump was in June. Since then we have been hovering in a 1.28-1.34 range. But looking at a trailing 12 month or 6 month average it has continued to go up at a pretty good pace.