Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a week late in August and ended up paying $8k more for an S90D. If you're gonna buy in the near future do it sooner than later with the lowering oil prices it's gonna drag the cdn $ further down. Too bad I wasn't able to sell my side-by-side UTV a week earlier in August to put down my Model S deposit. In the factory queue right now for a 2nd Model S90D for the wife...glad we were able to get rid of our Infiniti QX56 a few weeks back so we can go all-electric and avoid another price jump.

I was a week late in August and ended up paying $8k more for an S90D. If you're gonna buy in the near future do it sooner than later with the lowering oil prices it's gonna drag the cdn $ further down.
Probably good advice. If you're close to deciding, at least put down the deposit to lock in the price if you get wind of another price increase.

I started considering a 70D this summer, but wasn't near ready to commit to purchase or even put a deposit in Aug when the price jumped 7%, even though my advisor gave me fair warning of the increase. I think the config I eventually purchased late Oct went up about 7k, but at least I was able to take a bit of the sting out of the increase by getting a $2k VA referral discount.

Probably good advice. If you're close to deciding, at least put down the deposit to lock in the price if you get wind of another price increase.

I started considering a 70D this summer, but wasn't near ready to commit to purchase or even put a deposit in Aug when the price jumped 7%, even though my advisor gave me fair warning of the increase. I think the config I eventually purchased late Oct went up about 7k, but at least I was able to take a bit of the sting out of the increase by getting a $2k VA referral discount.

How did you get the 2k?

Canadian prices are wacky.

Current price of the 70D in the US: $75,000 USD
Current price of the same configuration in Canada: $93,300 CAD = $70,000 USD

Cars imported into Canada are subject to a 6.1% import duty, and ought to recoup at least one additional point on the costs of operating here. This means the Model S at this configuration should be selling for more like $107,200 CAD, almost 15% more than it is now.

Get your orders in if you haven't already! No need to actually take delivery until you're ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get the 2k?
yes, my referrer was from Virginia, but that was for the previous referral program which ended Oct 31st. There's a thread elsewhere on TMC that describes how that worked - basically since Tesla couldn't give the 1k promised to the referrer in VA and OH, it instead gave the extra 1k to the buyer.

Won't work with the current referral program ending Dec 31st because there's no cash offer to the referrer

First time posting. Have been on the fence as to time to buy. Just got a call from dealer tonight saying price change is happening Nov 26, and to lock in. He said he didn't know how much but its coming for sure

@tinanbran, remember you can put down the $2500 deposit now, it will lock in the price. It's fully refundable for 1wk, but after that your order is confirmed and deposit non-refundable.

my understanding is that if you still later decide to cancel your order, they will keep your $2500 but it can later be put towards another Tesla purchase in future (e.g. say you decide you'd rather wait for Model 3)

Back in Aug, the rumours of the price increase (both %amount and date) were accurate, as was the advance warning by my Advisor. So if they're saying Nov 26, perhaps put down a deposit just before that if you're anywhere near deciding to buy. I regret not being able to decide back in August!

Please feel free to call me a pedant, or the spelling patrol, or whatever, but... it's "imminent", not "immiment". Can the thread title be fixed? Since the thread was going to be short lived (its death was imminent :) ), I didn't say anything the first time around, but if the Canadian dollar keeps dropping relative to the U.S. dollar this thread might survive for a long time.

Please feel free to call me a pedant, or the spelling patrol, or whatever, but... it's "imminent", not "immiment". Can the thread title be fixed? Since the thread was going to be short lived (its death was imminent :) ), I didn't say anything the first time around, but if the Canadian dollar keeps dropping relative to the U.S. dollar this thread might survive for a long time.

Normally we exile these sorts of posts to Grammar Misteaks, Spelling Misteaks, and Bad Puns :). However, since I'm the one who did the typo :redface:, I'll just fix it and let you off with a finger wag.

If the information came from a Tesla sales associate, then it's pretty much a given. The same thing happened to me back in August. Glad I put down a deposit right away to lock down the price. Saved me thousands of dollars.

Yeah for sure I trust what he was saying too as he knows he had the sale for sure just wanted to confirm it closer to the new year, as we have a house closing shortly after and I didn't want it to interfere with the mortgage paperwork. Going to lock in now for end of march delivery and do financing after the new home closes.

If the information came from a Tesla sales associate, then it's pretty much a given.

I'm not sure that's true on every issue since this forum has lots of posts about incorrect information coming from Tesla sale's associates. I'm not disputing this information is true. It probably is. I just don't think people should take as a given everything said by the Tesla sales associates.