Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at your cars purchase documents they will indicate whether it has super charging enabled. If not, there will be a one time fee the first time that you attempt to use the super charger.

But I I think the key point is that some Toronto Tesla staff appear to be misinformed, and that misinformation will affect buyer's choices - and costs.

Canadian website matches the US website in that it clearly states that ALL 85 kW configurations are supercharger enabled.

I was at the meeting as well but that is not what I took from the discussion. I believe the individual said if you have a single charger you need to contact Tesla to activate supercharging for your car. I don't believe he ever said you need dual chargers for supercharging. In other words a software setting needs to be changed? I don't understand why tesla would not have this enabled on single charger cars because the chargers have nothing to do with supercharging.

Yes, that's what I said a few posts ago. What wasn't clear to me was whether or not that would incur the fee to enable Supercharging.

Supercharging is enabled when you purchase the car....UNLESS you buy a 60 without purchasing supercharger access. In that case only, you would need to contact Tesla and pay to add supercharging to your car. Unless something weird has happened, that's how it's supposed to work.

Example is KmanAuto (videos on youtube), he has a 60 and uses supercharging all the time, and just recently added dual chargers for the odd higher powered L2 EVSE's.

I drove around the parking lot in Kingston yesterday where the Kingston supercharger is supposed to be going and there is no sign of anything started, or any signage or anything, so it definetely wont be anytime soon.

I am in Kingston a few times a week so I'll keep my eyes open.

I can confirm the other combination. Ordered a 60kWh Model S with dual chargers but without the supercharger option. I paid the fee to have Tesla activate supercharging some 6 months after delivery.

Information given in the stores is sometime contradictory to information given by other Tesla outlets or the home page configurator. I put my trust in written specs.

I would think the dual charger option would be less and less common as they build out the supercharger network. When you are on a road trip, superchargers are the way to go, and at home the single charger is more than enough to charge while sleeping. I think this would be the case for 90-95% of people, especially in 12-18 months when superchargers will be so accessible.

I would think the dual charger option would be less and less common as they build out the supercharger network. When you are on a road trip, superchargers are the way to go, and at home the single charger is more than enough to charge while sleeping. I think this would be the case for 90-95% of people, especially in 12-18 months when superchargers will be so accessible.

I just drove from Ottawa to Toronto. Very happy to have the dual chargers.

As the current wait for supercharger's in Canada has taught us, relying on Tesla to build out the network sooner, rather than later (eg. Winter 2013 has turned into 2014) and where we need them (Muskoka, or say between Toronto and Calgary anyone?), isn't the wisest idea. Dual chargers are worth their weight in gold here thanks to Sun Country Highway.

Agreed, I would rather rely on Superchargers only, but it's not going to be practical for the next few years.

Also, before we left to go to Ottawa, I ranged charged to max. Had an unexpected scoot across town that couldn't be avoided that ate up 45km of range just before we were scheduled to leave. My 80 amp HPWC slammed the electrons in nice and quick when I got home, and we were still able to leave on time.

It's moments like those that you don't or can't plan for that make dual chargers worth the money, and a wise choice, in my opinion.

I just drove from Ottawa to Toronto. Very happy to have the dual chargers.

As the current wait for supercharger's in Canada has taught us, relying on Tesla to build out the network sooner, rather than later (eg. Winter 2013 has turned into 2014) and where we need them (Muskoka, or say between Toronto and Calgary anyone?), isn't the wisest idea. Dual chargers are worth their weight in gold here thanks to Sun Country Highway.

Agreed, I would rather rely on Superchargers only, but it's not going to be practical for the next few years.

Also, before we left to go to Ottawa, I ranged charged to max. Had an unexpected scoot across town that couldn't be avoided that ate up 45km of range just before we were scheduled to leave. My 80 amp HPWC slammed the electrons in nice and quick when I got home, and we were still able to leave on time.

It's moments like those that you don't or can't plan for that make dual chargers worth the money, and a wise choice, in my opinion.

Good points...I guess I think of things from the value for the dollar aspect, as it's a stretch for me to buy an S or X, so dual chargers would be at the bottom of the list for me when looking at options. Looking at the current S, I think best bang for the buck is the base 85. Tech pkg is pretty cool, but mostly not needed, for me anyway. Dual chargers adds the option cost, HPWC cost, and more expensive installation cost, so it probably adds about $3500 to the car, maybe $4,000 after tax. For me, that would almost pay for tech, which I probably would not normally get.

Good points...I guess I think of things from the value for the dollar aspect, as it's a stretch for me to buy an S or X, so dual chargers would be at the bottom of the list for me when looking at options. Looking at the current S, I think best bang for the buck is the base 85. Tech pkg is pretty cool, but mostly not needed, for me anyway. Dual chargers adds the option cost, HPWC cost, and more expensive installation cost, so it probably adds about $3500 to the car, maybe $4,000 after tax. For me, that would almost pay for tech, which I probably would not normally get.

The dual chargers have been invaluable to me. I do not have a HPWC at home (and currently only have a 20 amp / 240 volt outlet there) but really value the speed when out and about at 90 and 100 amp J1772 stations.

Twin chargers seem like a low value proposition until you utilize them. I've utilized them twice in the last year, both times at Toronto Motorsports Park and they were worth every penny!

When optioning a Tesla or any electric car the first two things you want are the largest battery and the quickest charging. :)

You don't need an HPWC to make good use of the dual chargers. In fact, the major utility of dual chargers is when are not at home. Trust me, 3 hours sitting in a coffee shop is tolerable once in a while, but 6 hours is beyond tedious.

As for the tech package, all the cool, fun, sexy stuff is in that package. None of it is essential, but it's all very nice to have.

Twin chargers seem like a low value proposition until you utilize them. I've utilized them twice in the last year, both times at Toronto Motorsports Park and they were worth every penny!

When optioning a Tesla or any electric car the first two things you want are the largest battery and the quickest charging. :)

Agree 100%. When I first started investigating this electric car business, I was thinking 60 kWh because of price (this car is almost double my previously most expensive car). I quickly realized that if I wanted to drive it outside of the city, and live in a cold weather climate city, 85 kWh was necessary. Then, to save money, I thought "meh... I don't *need* the dual chargers". Ram @ the Tesla Store in Yorkdale set me straight on that ("uhhh... do you want to do road trips? Get the dual chargers. No question"), and I spent the extra dough on the dual chargers. $1600 isn't much over the course of the 8 years or so I intend on keeping the car.

You don't need an HPWC to make good use of the dual chargers. In fact, the major utility of dual chargers is when are not at home. Trust me, 3 hours sitting in a coffee shop is tolerable once in a while, but 6 hours is beyond tedious.

Yep, yep, and YEP! Still, happy I have the HPWC at home for those quick turnarounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Like Doug_G said, you don't need the HPWC. They've de-coupled it again from the design studio, which is great (they had bundled dual chargers and the HPWC together sometime last year). If you plan on taking the car anywhere rural and off major highways and interstates, they could prove invaluable, and until Tesla gets their Supercharger act together up here, sort of necessary (IMHO).

As I'll be picking up a demo car soon (tomorrow), I found it interesting that the spec sheets I was given for 9 demo cars to be sold ALL had twin chargers. Then I thought about it - for a demo fleet they would want these cars up and running as many hours of the day as they can manage. Without a supercharger in their own shop, they would need to get them charged ASAP to keep the demo drives rolling!

Agree 100%

See your Agree and raise you 10%.

I have not yet done the Sun Country highway, looking forward to that this year hopefully. I do know the superchargers spoil it for anything "slower" - I've used two on a recent trip. On non-supercharged breaks, 80A being dumped into the car is far better (far, far better!) than 40A. Doug_G's 3hr vs 6hr is a pretty effective visual. Even at 3 hours I'll have to work hard to keep my wife in good spirits!

Just my opinion, but if I had to sit and wait 3 hours to charge on the way to anywhere, I would be taking an ICE instead. For me personally, superchargers are the only way I would ever charge regularly on the way somewhere. At home or overnight (like a hotel), L2 speed is irrelevant.

Again, just my opinion, glad the option is there for those who want it. Now, bring on the 401 corridor superchargers Tesla!!!

Most trips I just need a top-up, and have a leisurely lunch or supper. I've only had a few trips where I had to wait longer than that. Longer charges are usually done overnight.

There's something about driving the Model S that is so serene compared to other cars. Even with some waiting I prefer to take it over an ICE car. (Of course these days I'd have to rent one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.