Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see some pics if anyone lives near Cornwall. :)

My countryhouse is at 85 km from there, I'll try to go get some... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Needs to be something roughly halfway from Kingston to Montreal too (same as Kingston to Toronto). Has anyone with a Tesla contact heard anything about why the dots are gone to cover these gaps???

Cornwall will do the job:

Kingston --» Cornwall = 181 km
Cornwall --» Montreal = +/- 116 km (Downtown, depending where you're going in Montreal)

Kingston IS the big priority for almost all...

Cornwall --» Drummondville = will be 229 km if using the new Highway 30 / Vaudreuil-Dorion (highly recommended for those who never had the traffic «experience» in Montreal...)

The much more heavily travelled 401 corridor between Toronto and Windsor is being totally ignored! I have to go to Chicago again and once more it will take more time and cost me MORE than a gas car because I have to make an overnight hotel stay in Windsor.
Hi mknox,
I know you keep describing the westwards trip from Toronto as "much more travelled" than eastwards for Toronto-Montreal.
Can you share any hard data you may have behind that description, if any, of course excluding the truck traffic component?

Beyond that, I am certainly one otherwise happy S85 owner who frequently and regularly makes the Toronto-Montreal trip (Toronto-Cobourg-Kingston-Cornwall-Montreal) but who goes westwards (Toronto-Detroit-Ann Arbor-Chicago) only at most once yearly .
Of course I am overjoyed that Cornwall is finally on a *finite* countdown to going live!
And I can also hardly wait for Kingston and VERY hopefully Cobourg(ish) to follow ASAP!!

Meanwhile, I continue to use my ICE car for all these trips since I haven't yet been able to acquire Doug_G's excellent wisdom about accepting some slowdown as a good thing!
In this case, stopping along Toronto-Montreal at 2-3 CS90's (for 2-3 hr each) would double the trip time from the current 6-7 hr taken with the ICE car -- which is just unusable.

So until that wonderful day finally comes when Toronto-Montreal goes fully SC'd, I'm ICE'd for all those trips.
My total monthly km travelled are mainly via ICE car and not my S85, for no other reason than this!

In this case, stopping along Toronto-Montreal at 2-3 CS90's (for 2-3 hr each) would double the trip time from the current 6-7 hr taken with the ICE car -- which is just unusable.

Actually, I still think that Tesla SHOULD install their Wall Charger (not the SC charging rate but 96 km per hour is not that bad...) at places that would be well targeted (like couples Wall Chargers in Toronto + suburbs, Montreal + suburbs, other towns and even between SC themselves.)

That would be a non-expensive solution, every current Tesla owners would be happy AND Tesla would be able to add more «dots» on their charging station map... that would really give them a boost in sales (I know, I know, demand is stronger than supply BUT don't forget supply is increasing).

My 2 cents

So was your walk-away-lock setting actually showing as set to OFF after your update, or was it still showing as ON but still needed to be cycled before it would work? If the latter, this is a security bug they need to fix ASAP! People (like you) will walk away from their cars expectig it to lock, as it was set to, only to be leaving their valuables in an unlocked vehicle! Owners can't be expected to cycle all the car's myriad of settings after each update just to make sure they're actually set to what they're supposed to be.

It was OFF in the UI, so I guess that's a positive. In any case, I hope it gets sorted out and I don't have to remember to check the setting after future firmware updates.

I was at the Lawrence Service Center, and ground has been broken!
I couldn't get a firm date, but they said soon...

(Sorry if the pic is huge)

Attachments

• IMG_20140807_172700.jpg
    IMG_20140807_172700.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 503
We need to urge Tesla to increase the density of Superchargers in Southern Ontario, specifically Belleville and St.Catherines or Niagara Falls Ontario. Having driven my P85 through two winters, temperature and road conditions have a significant effect on range, especially below minus 10 degrees. Toronto is the forth largest city in North America behind Mexico City, New York and LA, yet Tesla does not plan to provide nearly as many superchargers around the GTA as many, much smaller US cities.

I have no doubt that the Model X will be immensely popular to Canadians. Many potential buyers I have taken for test drives are waiting for the Model X because it offers four wheel drive, which may be more suitable for our winters. Tesla has increased the density of superchargers in Germany to accommodate their faster speed limits, and in Norway to account for their cold climate. We have been very patient. Tesla needs to step up and provide the same level of infrastructure in Southern Ontario.

J. Preiner

^^ THIS!

The much more heavily travelled 401 corridor between Toronto and Windsor is being totally ignored! I have to go to Chicago again and once more it will take more time and cost me MORE than a gas car because I have to make an overnight hotel stay in Windsor.

If I were you (and lived where I do)... I'm 407km from the Maumee, OH SC, I think I'd chance it. :) There's always the CS-90 that Brant Renewable Energy put in if I were running short on the way home. Of course I'd only attempt this in ideal condtions, ie. summer.

Even a single SC on the 401W around Chatham would make this trip a piece of cake. It looks like there is still a dot there on the 2014 map at least.

I know you keep describing the westwards trip from Toronto as "much more travelled" than eastwards for Toronto-Montreal.

I've been trying to find a source for highway traffic utilization or such and so far haven't, so my "evidence" is purely anecdotal at this point. What I do know is that the 401 between Toronto and Windsor is at least 3 lanes (each way) for the entire length except for a very small leg from beyond Windsor towards Chatham. In some areas (for instance, the Waterloo Region), they're tearing out bridges in preparation for widening it to 4 or 5 lanes each way. The last time I drove to Montreal, the 401 was predominantly a measly 2 lanes (each direction) for much of the distance. I have to assume the MOT widened the sections that carry more traffic.

Completing the 401 west corridor would connect southern Ontario with the US Supercharger network and enable/support tourist travel which is very important to the local economy. (Equally important in my mind is the QEW corridor connecting Niagara Falls and Fort Erie/Buffalo).

Status
Not open for further replies.