Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They beat us to it over at Teslamotors.com. It is confirmed as under construction at the Ramada!

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/canadian-superchargers-now-under-construction-ontario

They really need to get a move on it for the Kingston location. Not sure that Cornwall is all that strategic. I would think the biggest city-to-city route in this corridor is Montreal-Toronto and Cornwall, being 100 Km outside montreal is not great for that route. Kingston is really what is needed.

I posted it to supercharge.info!

- - - Updated - - -

Amen to that!
At least it's better than nothing.
Took 10 hours for me to drive from Montreal to Toronto yesterday albeit I only had half a charge when I left.
The problem with Montreal is that all the Hydro quebec chargers are only 30 amps and it takes forever to charge. Plus paying a rip off fee of $2.50 is a money grabber!

So, I reported the issue to Tesla and it appears the explanation is as follows. After the latest firmware update some cars reverted the lock on walk away setting to off in the background. I tested by walking away from the car and checked the smartphone app which showed the lock status as unlocked. I came back without the key and sure enough I could open the hatch. I locked the car via the smartphone app and could not open the hatch. I had to turn the lock on walk away setting off and on again and it is now locking the car properly. Lesson learned, check the setting after any firmware update. :)

So was your walk-away-lock setting actually showing as set to OFF after your update, or was it still showing as ON but still needed to be cycled before it would work? If the latter, this is a security bug they need to fix ASAP! People (like you) will walk away from their cars expectig it to lock, as it was set to, only to be leaving their valuables in an unlocked vehicle! Owners can't be expected to cycle all the car's myriad of settings after each update just to make sure they're actually set to what they're supposed to be.

They really need to get a move on it for the Kingston location. Not sure that Cornwall is all that strategic. I would think the biggest city-to-city route in this corridor is Montreal-Toronto and Cornwall, being 100 Km outside montreal is not great for that route. Kingston is really what is needed.
I agree. Cornwall is still over 400km from Toronto.

Maybe they are doing it as more of a symbolic gesture. :)

I suppose it is strategic for those driving from Quebec city to Toronto but does that happen much?

I agree. Cornwall is still over 400km from Toronto.

Maybe they are doing it as more of a symbolic gesture. :)

I suppose it is strategic for those driving from Quebec city to Toronto but does that happen much?

Maybe it Billingsed its way ahead of other locations.

It's 180km from Kingston. I've been told that winter can get quite cold in Canada so I'm thinking that the 180km is reasonable spacing.

I agree that Kingston is needed, but I would argue it the other way; Kingston is a little far from Toronto. For fast 85 charging and reasonable comfort for 60's, the best spacing for Superchargers is 100-140 miles or 160-225 km. Toronto to Kingston at 260 km is pushing that on the high side. Kingston to Cornwall is very nice at 182 km, and Cornwall to Drummondville at 230 km is a little long, but acceptable.

When Kingston, Cornwall, and Drummondville are done, there will be a nice corridor from Toronto to Quebec City. What is really needed are the trans-border connections from Montreal to Albany, Toronto south into the NW New York/Erie area, and Toronto to Detroit. The 2014 map shows the Montreal to Albany and Toronto to Detroit connections, but unless the install rate increases dramatically (20+ per month) for the rest of the year, North America will not get anywhere close to that 2014 map by December 31, 2014.

I agree that Kingston is needed, but I would argue it the other way; Kingston is a little far from Toronto. For fast 85 charging and reasonable comfort for 60's, the best spacing for Superchargers is 100-140 miles or 160-225 km. Toronto to Kingston at 260 km is pushing that on the high side. Kingston to Cornwall is very nice at 182 km, and Cornwall to Drummondville at 230 km is a little long, but acceptable.

When Kingston, Cornwall, and Drummondville are done, there will be a nice corridor from Toronto to Quebec City. What is really needed are the trans-border connections from Montreal to Albany, Toronto south into the NW New York/Erie area, and Toronto to Detroit. The 2014 map shows the Montreal to Albany and Toronto to Detroit connections, but unless the install rate increases dramatically (20+ per month) for the rest of the year, North America will not get anywhere close to that 2014 map by December 31, 2014.
The drive to Kingston from my home in Hamilton is 326 kms... doable in the summer with no problems but I wouldn't try it in winter. It will be a pain to have to drive down from the 401 to the future Lawrence Ave. SC for a top up (after just 82 kms from home), so I do hope to see something around Cobourg eventually. There are quite a few Tesla owners in the golden horseshoe west of Toronto.... Hamilton, Burlington, Flamborough who will be challenged / inconvenienced going east under less than ideal conditions.

"Toronto to Kingston at 260 km is pushing that on the high side."

Broken record comment response to Doug G...the best solution to that that long-ish stretch between Toronto and Kingston would be an SC in Coburg or Trenton or Belleville...just like they always use to have on the SC map until recently. #bringbacktrenton ....that's my hashtag.

Broken record comment response to Doug G...the best solution to that that long-ish stretch between Toronto and Kingston would be an SC in Coburg or Trenton or Belleville...just like they always use to have on the SC map until recently. #bringbacktrenton ....that's my hashtag.

So there is nothing planned between Toronto and Kingston now? Don't make me cancel my Model X reservation and buy a PHEV instead Tesla!!!!! :)

Maybe I am being impatient but I thought Southern Ontario would be linked to the existing supercharger network (via Chatham and Buffalo) eons ago...

+1...the area between Toronto and Kingston definitely needs to be covered by a Supercharger...those of us leaving from west of Burlington (Niagara area / Brantford / etc) will need to top off long before Kingston...

The drive to Kingston from my home in Hamilton is 326 kms... doable in the summer with no problems but I wouldn't try it in winter. It will be a pain to have to drive down from the 401 to the future Lawrence Ave. SC for a top up (after just 82 kms from home), so I do hope to see something around Cobourg eventually. There are quite a few Tesla owners in the golden horseshoe west of Toronto.... Hamilton, Burlington, Flamborough who will be challenged / inconvenienced going east under less than ideal conditions.

So there is nothing planned between Toronto and Kingston now? Don't make me cancel my Model X reservation and buy a PHEV instead Tesla!!!!! :)

Maybe I am being impatient but I thought Southern Ontario would be linked to the existing supercharger network (via Chatham and Buffalo) eons ago...
If you guys with 85's feel that way, how am I with a 60 going to manage ☺

It is manageable i guess, but worrisome. Also note that the new Model 3 will have the 60's range.

^^ THIS!

The much more heavily travelled 401 corridor between Toronto and Windsor is being totally ignored! I have to go to Chicago again and once more it will take more time and cost me MORE than a gas car because I have to make an overnight hotel stay in Windsor.

There will be a Supercharger at Lawrence service center. About 250 km. Fine in summer. In winter you'll want to 100% charge, preheat the car (Supercharging will do that for you, but turn on cabin heat too), and stick to the speed limit. If you do all that you should arrive with a good margin. If conditions are adverse (extreme cold and snow) then you may need to hang behind a truck. Hardly ideal.

Yes, there really needs to be a Supercharger in the Belleville/Trenton area as originally planned.

^^ THIS!

The much more heavily travelled 401 corridor between Toronto and Windsor is being totally ignored! I have to go to Chicago again and once more it will take more time and cost me MORE than a gas car because I have to make an overnight hotel stay in Windsor.

Perhaps we can get a club discount rate at that hotel !
I'll have to use that hotel at the end of October for my trip to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.