Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

And people around here are much more likely to spend their millions on a big super-duty half-ton with a ridiculous lift kit and the biggest, noisiest engine available for hauling around their ATVs or their boat rather than anything "green".

One such "vehicle" had a rear window decal I will never forget because I don't understand it at all: "My Hemi burns what your stupid hybrid saves!"

Needless to say, we've got a LONG way to go....

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

And people around here are much more likely to spend their millions on a big super-duty half-ton with a ridiculous lift kit and the biggest, noisiest engine available for hauling around their ATVs or their boat rather than anything "green".

One such "vehicle" had a rear window decal I will never forget because I don't understand it at all: "My Hemi burns what your stupid hybrid saves!"

Needless to say, we've got a LONG way to go....

I'm moving to Edmonton at the end of the year and I've got some similar concerns about the... State of EV adoption. I've driven a couple of S' and we think the X may better suit our needs, given the AWD option and 2014 production date (I'd love an AWD S though!)

Zapped - expect a PM at some point regarding questions I have about Tesla ownership in AB.

I'm moving to Edmonton at the end of the year and I've got some similar concerns about the... State of EV adoption. I've driven a couple of S' and we think the X may better suit our needs, given the AWD option and 2014 production date (I'd love an AWD S though!)

Zapped - expect a PM at some point regarding questions I have about Tesla ownership in AB.

Even though Alberta is considered by many to be "oil country" , I'm pleasantly and somewhat surprised to see how many people are aware of and support electric cars..... been getting quite a few thumbs up and interested drivers, while driving around Edmonton. ( one 2 occasions had someone follow me into a parking lot and ask questions )

And many many thanks to Sun Country Highway and Peavey Mart for recently installing > than 30 Amp charging infrastructure which is now available in some critical areas of Alberta.
Although the stats are something like 85% of people drive less than 100km / day (correct as required), this will be the turning point for longer road trips around here.

Peavey Mart installing electric vehicle charging stations at Alberta outlets

If you're worried about winter, I have a lot of respect for the guys posting their experience and driving in eastern Canada. I think they can get a lot more snow and varied conditions than we do in Alberta.

It sure would be nice to get a couple of Super Chargers before 2015 though. Calgary and Edmonton would be ideal locations.
Maybe TESLA could franchise the infrastructure. Dare I suggest, I wouldn't mind paying for a quick fill.

Last edited:
I'm moving to Edmonton at the end of the year and I've got some similar concerns about the... State of EV adoption.....I'd love an AWD S though!
In truth, I was probably being a bit unfair earlier. While there are several of "those" people here, most are not openly hostile to the idea of EVs. Unfortunately though, nearly everyone is ignorant of them and would likely be against spending money to benefit them in some way (charging stations, etc). However, they would probably have this reaction to anything new or different, not just EVs.

Agreed on the AWD Model S. If they offered that option I might just have to get mine this year, rather than next.

And many many thanks to Sun Country Highway and Peavey Mart for recently installing > than 30 Amp charging infrastructure which is now available in some critical areas of Alberta.

It sure would be nice to get a couple of Super Chargers before 2015 though. Calgary and Edmonton would be ideal locations.
Maybe TESLA could franchise the infrastructure. Dare I suggest, I wouldn't mind paying for a quick fill.

The Peavey Mart/SCH partnership announcement first had me excited (Yay! 30 new charging stations throughout the prairies that I may actually use), then disappointed (Boo! New chargers will only be 30-amp, so near useless for cross-province travel), and finally cautiously optimistic (chargers will not all be 30-amp. Many will be 50 or 80-amp, but the SCH website does not reflect this yet). Some Peavey Marts are in pretty crappy locations to spend an hour or two charging; isolated industrial-ish areas with nothing else around.

I think with regard to superchargers, Tesla is reluctant to franchise them out because they want to retain control of the system and not be beholden to anyone. Things like the 120KW upgrade could have been significantly delayed, if they had to go through franchise agreements and committees. Personally, I don't really care about all that. Like you, I just want fast charging access sooner rather than later, even if I have to pay for it (but even better if I don't :cool:).

Last edited:
Any update on time frame or location of the supercharger north of Vancouver (rumored by some random person to be in Squamish). Driving up from Seattle, it will already be much easier than last year because of the supercharger in Burlington, but one north of Vancouver makes it 100% without worry. Last year I drove once from Seattle to Whistler, charging in Blaine for an hour, but it was a little scary.

Installation of a supercharger in Squamish has begun - it's going near the Adventure Centre.

That is a bit of a walk to the McDonalds, White Spot, A&W, and Starbucks down Loggers lane. No sidewalk and potentially in snow during the winter. I guess for a free charge we can't be too picky...

Don't we have some members in Squamish that can do some spy photos for us?

According to the Squamish building permits posted online, I don't see anything appropriate yet...
http://squamish.ca/assets/DS-Stats/04102013/Ending-BP-October-4-2013-List.pdf
Building Permit Reports District of Squamish

Eek... that's a tad behind schedule if it's "beginning of Spring". The site does say "Winter 2013". Maybe it should say Winter 2013-2014.

FWIW I never believed the "winter 2013" bit, and figured we'd be lucky to have them bythe spring. If that's really going to happen then it's a lot better than never. (At one point Tesla said they were arranging for a Roadster HPC in Kingston, but that never happened.)

Would have been good to have them for the winter; though, winter trips take longer due to the extra charging time required. I can make it to the East end of Toronto without charging in the summer.

I'm the eternal optimist. I was actually hoping the Montreal<->Toronto supercharger would be done on time. Arguably, it's the most important supercharger in Canada (judging by the traffic between two of Canada's biggest cities). Maybe they are hitting some roadblocks with respect to permits, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.