Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know if there is a SC in Montreal that is available 24/7? We live about 15 miles south of Plattsburgh NY and like to go to Montreal. But we are having a hard time determining if there is a place there to charge anytime. Our 85 was just delivered a couple of weeks ago. Great service by the Tesla team! Thanks!

Do you know if there is a SC in Montreal that is available 24/7? We live about 15 miles south of Plattsburgh NY and like to go to Montreal. But we are having a hard time determining if there is a place there to charge anytime. Our 85 was just delivered a couple of weeks ago. Great service by the Tesla team! Thanks!

There is a service center in Laval, but I do not think it is available 24/7. I suggest you call.

If you meant supercharger, there are none in Canada yet. :crying:

There are quite a few charging stations in and around Montreal, including 70A Sun Country Highway chargers (usually free to use), the AddEnergie chargers (mainly in downtown underground parking structures, need a membership card) and the 30A Circuit Electrique chargers ($2.50 per use - no time limit, need a membership card).

Plugshare is a great resource to help you find them.

Enjoy your visit, the nice weather is finally here!

Hey gang - I'm getting my Model S mid-June and I'll definitely want to do a road trip to visit family on Montreal this summer (from Toronto). If the superchargers are not installed yet it seems I can probably get there with a stop at the Best Western Kingston (lunch / charge). I am buying the dual charger option so I can benefit from the 90A chargers. But when I get to Montreal none of my family will have a high amp outlet available near the car. I'll be heading to Point Claire / Dollard des Ormeaux.

What do you guys think is the least inconvenient way to recharge while there for a long weekend?

- I would not be far from the Laval service center, so I could always stop in there, but kinda seems boring to hang out for several hours just to recharge when I should be visiting family

- There are slower 30A chargers at Reno Depo, but they require a Circuit Electrique card that I don't have and I don't know if it's worth the hassle to get one just for this one trip.

- I can plug in at 110v and basically feel like I can't use the car at all while I'm visiting because it charges that slow.

MAN, I can't wait for the SC installations. I'd stop once in Kingston for lunch and I'd stop quickly in Cornwall for 10 or 20 minutes just to refill and arrive practically fully charged. It would totally eliminate the worry about where to charge while IN Montreal.

Hey gang - I'm getting my Model S mid-June and I'll definitely want to do a road trip to visit family on Montreal this summer (from Toronto). If the superchargers are not installed yet it seems I can probably get there with a stop at the Best Western Kingston (lunch / charge). I am buying the dual charger option so I can benefit from the 90A chargers. But when I get to Montreal none of my family will have a high amp outlet available near the car. I'll be heading to Point Claire / Dollard des Ormeaux.

What do you guys think is the least inconvenient way to recharge while there for a long weekend?

- I would not be far from the Laval service center, so I could always stop in there, but kinda seems boring to hang out for several hours just to recharge when I should be visiting family

- There are slower 30A chargers at Reno Depo, but they require a Circuit Electrique card that I don't have and I don't know if it's worth the hassle to get one just for this one trip.

- I can plug in at 110v and basically feel like I can't use the car at all while I'm visiting because it charges that slow.

MAN, I can't wait for the SC installations. I'd stop once in Kingston for lunch and I'd stop quickly in Cornwall for 10 or 20 minutes just to refill and arrive practically fully charged. It would totally eliminate the worry about where to charge while IN Montreal.

Often there is a dryer outlet near the garage. Older houses use a 10-30 and newer houses use a 14-30, both of which Tesla sells as adapters for the UMC. Ask your family if there is an electric dryer outlet close to the garage. Good luck!

Yes, you want to get all the adapters - 10-30, 14-30, and I highly recommend the 5-20, as there might be a 20 amp 120V outlet nearby.

For the 240V outlets, often they are not within 20' of the car, so you have to use a beefy extension cord, along with a home made adapter. You can usually buy the extension cord as a 50A RV extension cord in places that sell RV accessories.

More info about how to do all this is here:

http://www.cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf

Often there is a dryer outlet near the garage. Older houses use a 10-30 and newer houses use a 14-30, both of which Tesla sells as adapters for the UMC. Ask your family if there is an electric dryer outlet close to the garage. Good luck!

I (incorrectly) made this assumption about my daughter and son-in-law's house in the Chicago suburbs. Their laundry room is right off the garage, but only has 120 v outlets (the dryer is gas).

> the problem is that those non-prime spots are usually far away from the building and/or electrical infrastructure. The further away, the more costly the install. [mknox]

Moving the SC further out by 'one level' would really reduce ICEing significantly. Yes, ICEers are just that lazy. Plus, the owners are more likely to give TM approval for the SC if it is set back out of heavy foot traffic zone. TM seems to be consistently following these stratagems afaik. One example: Cheyenne WY seems to have had no cable trenching done at all, implying it is situated immediately adjacent to an existing cable run.
--

...and you thought by driving electric, "gas pains" were a thing of the past...:wink:

I (incorrectly) made this assumption about my daughter and son-in-law's house in the Chicago suburbs. Their laundry room is right off the garage, but only has 120 v outlets (the dryer is gas).

- - - Updated - - -

If worse comes to worse, just have a relative follow you down to the SC...plug in & ride back down with them a few hours later...I'm sure TM won't mind, but I would call ahead to make sure the charger is available...

> the problem is that those non-prime spots are usually far away from the building and/or electrical infrastructure. The further away, the more costly the install. [mknox]

Moving the SC further out by 'one level' would really reduce ICEing significantly. Yes, ICEers are just that lazy. Plus, the owners are more likely to give TM approval for the SC if it is set back out of heavy foot traffic zone. TM seems to be consistently following these stratagems afaik. One example: Cheyenne WY seems to have had no cable trenching done at all, implying it is situated immediately adjacent to an existing cable run.
--

They actually did a really clean job of horizontal drilling. I am completely in favor of putting the Supercharger in the distance at shopping centers, etc, to avoid ICEing.

The real issue is access to High Voltage (HV) power lines not access to the existing site 480/208/120 Volt electrics.

Most Supercharger sites have the 3-Phase HV to 480 Volt transformer pretty close to the equipment enclosure. In Cheyenne, there were already underground HV lines running to the restaurants across the parking lot, 100+ meters away from the Supercharger. They used a directional, horizontal drill to bore conduit lines under the parking lot, without having to do any digging.

Here is a picture of Cheyenne under construction. The transformer was placed where the conduits are coming up, under the outstretched backhoe arm. The horizontal drilling went from an existing 3-Phase transformer location beyond the lower left of this picture under the asphalt to the transformer location. This pic was taken as the crew was cleaning up after doing the horizontal drilling. See Cheyenne, WY Supercharger - Page 5 for more detail.

GOPR0381-md.jpg

They actually did a really clean job of horizontal drilling. I am completely in favor of putting the Supercharger in the distance at shopping centers, etc, to avoid ICEing.

That horizontal drilling equipment must be rare and/or expensive. Otherwise, why wouldn't contractors use it all the time instead of digging up the parking lot?

I'm also in favor of moving Superchargers back to reduce ICE'ing. However, what I'm more in favor of is people obeying the signage and not ICE'ing the spots in the first place.

Wow, Cottonwood, I missed your previous mention of horizontal drilling at Cheyenne. Perhaps an SC maven can catch HD being done at a new install somewhere. Out in the gas fields the HD rigs are huge and ponderous; there's probably a contractor-sized version available.

Observe the 'nose-in' SC Arches at Cheyenne. Among other virtues, this requires the potential ICEer to enter a metal detector-like space in order to park in a slot. This is psychologically jarring enough that it might only happen rarely, let's hope. The other virtue is that it is trailer-friendly, i.e. you don't need to unhook the trailer and park it somewhere else while charging.
--

It's not rare. This technology was available decades ago. The local natural gas utility retrofitted gas pipelines to my childhood home and its entire neighbourhood by tunneling under the driveways.

Yeah, we used directional boring at Toronto Hydro back in the early '90's. It's best for smaller service runs (gas/electric) and not so much for larger circuits, especially on crowded right-of-ways. Often in congested areas, each utility will be assigned a very specific location and depth for their infrastructure which requires excavation.

We see the small horizontal drilling rigs around here all the time for telecom, power, gas, etc. For example see here for one of the smaller units available, not exactly huge. (obviously there is quite the variety, from that one, all the way up to tunnel boring machines that are absolutely massive with everything else in between. They're expensive, but at this point they can often be cheaper than the cost of digging up a road, rerouting traffic, and filling it all in again properly afterwards.

They're expensive, but at this point they can often be cheaper than the cost of digging up a road, rerouting traffic, and filling it all in again properly afterwards.

That's why I asked if they were rare or prohibitively expensive to use, because why wouldn't a contractor use them? Like you said, they have to be cheaper than digging everything up, doing the work and filling it all back in again. Never mind the disruption to crowded/busy areas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.