Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The party that just left office was in favor of enacting a CARB-ZEV law that would have given Tesla plenty of incentive to boost sales in Quebec. It remains to be seen what the back-in-power liberal party will do along these lines.

Not to be too political here, but the PQ was in power for a long time. If they had wanted to enact a CARB-ZEV law, they could have. Politicians are in favor of everything. Whether they act is another thing entirely.

I think it's a mistake for them to not have the Red Deer supercharger up and running when the Calgary service center opens. I was told it will probably be the last one built on the BC to Alberta route. I grew up in Alberta and drive there a couple of times per year. I have friends and family who are potential buyers, but the discussion would go as follows.
Me: "You should buy a Tesla",
Albertan: "Can I drive from Edmonton to Calgary and back in a day",
Me: "Not yet",
Albertan: "Forget it"

Technically possible, but not practical for most people without the SC.

I think it's a mistake for them to not have the Red Deer supercharger up and running when the Calgary service center opens. I was told it will probably be the last one built on the BC to Alberta route. I grew up in Alberta and drive there a couple of times per year. I have friends and family who are potential buyers, but the discussion would go as follows.
Me: "You should buy a Tesla",
Albertan: "Can I drive from Edmonton to Calgary and back in a day",
Me: "Not yet",
Albertan: "Forget it"

Technically possible, but not practical for most people without the SC.

Makes sense to me, even though it would not benefit me much for quite a while.

Send an email to [email protected] and point this out. They have a chicken and egg problem. Right now, the vast majority of Teslas sold in western Canada are in BC, so I was told by a Tesla sales manager in the region. They contention is that Albertans are just not as interested. Perhaps you need to set them straight!

If SCs were installed in Montreal and Quebec City, you would see huge ordering from taxi drivers. tbh, just the availability of 40kW CHAdeMO would be enough to convince additional drivers to go Tesla. Besides the adapter not being available, there are no or few plans to offer CHAdeMO in Quebec cities, though.

Keep in mind that Superchargers are intended to enable travel between places, not for local use.

Makes sense to me, even though it would not benefit me much for quite a while.

Send an email to [email protected] and point this out. They have a chicken and egg problem. Right now, the vast majority of Teslas sold in western Canada are in BC, so I was told by a Tesla sales manager in the region. They contention is that Albertans are just not as interested. Perhaps you need to set them straight!

You're absolutely correct about most of the Western Canadian cars being in the Vancouver area. I would be curious to see registration numbers. I just drove to Edmonton and back (from Vancouver) and I did not see another Tesla in 8 days in Alberta. Of course we know that there are some there and I know of a couple of orders through family/coworkers etc. I would agree that Albertans are generally less interested, but the Vancouver area is a natural market for these cars. I would argue that if the cost of the Red Deer Supercharger is low enough, then it should be put in immediately. There is a big marketing angle with the SCs too. People will notice it and want to know more. I wonder if Tesla is allowed to post info at the SCs? The people I spoke with in Alberta all wanted to know about winter performance.

- - - Updated - - -

I think everybody on this thread should send a note at [email protected] right now, if you haven't already. I haven't yet, and I've been complaining about this since I got my car in March of 2013! Maybe if we all send specific feedback/complaints/encouragement, it will make a difference. Who knows!

I'll send one too. The planned SC route to Calgary/Edmonton was one of the final pushes for me to place my order. I will be very disappointed if that route is not covered by May 2015, which gives them 4 months beyond their current "projection".

It would be great if Tesla put Superchargers in Alberta right up north to the tar sands to show that we really don't need all that dirty oil! I find it sad that Canada subsidizes big oil to the tune of $2.8 Billion per year (from the last study done in 2010 - Canada's oilpatch subsidies said to total $2.8B | CTV News ) but we spend noting federally on subsidizing electric cars or charging stations and we have to rely on an American company to build out a decent electric car charging solution here. So much for our government being committed to reducing greenhouse gases.

EMAIL FROM TESLA

Our 100th Supercharger Is Now Open!
There are now 86 Supercharger stations in North America, 14 in Europe, and two in China. Number 100 is another milestone in the rapid expansion of Tesla’s Supercharger network, making it possible for Model S owners to drive long-distance, for free, for life.

? CANADA ?

Yes, it was me. Thanks, Elon!

Nice work.. one of the last major hurdles preventing a couple of my friends/family from purchasing a MS is they don't think the supercharging will be available for road trips anytime soon in Ontario and through Buffalo/Niagara to the US. Good to know that will be gone from the discussion soon!

Elon just tweeted this in response to question from possibly iKhalid:

@KAlHomoud: @elonmusk Tesla owners in Canada are unhappy. Here is why (please have a look at this thread):
Canadian Superchargers - Page 47

@elonmusk: @KAlHomoud Superchargers in Canada will go live in 6 to 8 weeks. Update on forums shortly.

Thanks iKhalid!

Although given his track record, and as much as I admire the man, I would take any timeframe estimates by Elon with a very large amount of NaCl...

Status
Not open for further replies.