Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very happy that there is a muskoka location planned (around Barrie), although it seems a bit too close to the Toronto one, pushing it a little further north would make more sense to me -- making more areas accessible without losing the connectivity to the 401 backbone.

I am very happy that there is a muskoka location planned (around Barrie), although it seems a bit too close to the Toronto one, pushing it a little further north would make more sense to me -- making more areas accessible without losing the connectivity to the 401 backbone.

While having it farther north makes sense, I think it makes more sense to have it south of the 400/11 split.. It will get a lot of usage by people heading up to cottages in it's planned location. Having it father North (somewhere like North Bay) would be much better for long distance traveling but it would see far less usage and would be of less overall value to the community of Model S owners.

(I'm sure I'll disagree vehemently with my above statement if I ever have to make a trip to Timmins etc.) :)

While having it farther north makes sense, I think it makes more sense to have it south of the 400/11 split.. It will get a lot of usage by people heading up to cottages in it's planned location. Having it father North (somewhere like North Bay) would be much better for long distance traveling but it would see far less usage and would be of less overall value to the community of Model S owners.

(I'm sure I'll disagree vehemently with my above statement if I ever have to make a trip to Timmins etc.) :)

You are right about the 400/11 split, and I would not push it as far as North Bay anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of Huntsville or Parry Sound, so it would still serve the Muskoka region.

Yes I totally agree. This is the place to start and in the future they could put one in farther North. And not everybody is coming from Toronto. As I have stated before Barrie would be close enough to the 401 West supercharger for those coming from London/Windsor.

I really feel deception about this, that Tesla Motors neglected Canada.

I was at Detroit Auto Show and I talked directly with George Blankenship. He told me that there would be Superchargers between Toronto and Quebec corridor by the end of the current year, that was FOR SURE!.

The only problem is that it was the NAIIAS ... 2013 (january 2013) !!!!

You are right about the 400/11 split, and I would not push it as far as North Bay anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of Huntsville or Parry Sound, so it would still serve the Muskoka region.

Huntsville or Parry Sound are a bit too far north unless you also have one between there and the 401. I always thought Gravenhurst would be a good spot.

- - - Updated - - -

I was at Detroit Auto Show and I talked directly with George Blankenship. He told me that there would be Superchargers between Toronto and Quebec corridor by the end of the current year, that was FOR SURE!.

An I had been told the 401 corridor between Detroit and Toronto would be given equal priority. I actually think this is an important tourist route for Americans coming into the Toronto/Southern Ontario region and would be a huge economic development opportunity.

I share your disappointment, Sylvain. However, at least we now know why Mr. Blankenship was let go---for failing to deliver the Canadian SCs on schedule.

Jokes aside, there was probably never a chance Canada would get done in 2013. If I'm not mistaken, in 2013 there was a Federal 30% tax credit for charging station installations in the USA, so Tesla naturally concentrated their efforts in the States.

OK, I give up. If I'd like to post back-to-back in the thread, the software seems to want to combine the posts no matter what I do.
Here's the second topic:

Apologies if this is old or irrelevant, but this search on CSA's site lists four Tesla Motors products as being CSA certified. Drilling down on one of them specifies, "Supply equipment for electric vehicles with inputs and outputs rated 600V or less."

CSA Certs Tesla.jpg

Link to the search: http://www.csagroup.org/cn/en/servi...&file=&class=&class2=&description=&sort=0-asc

This is the first hint from Tesla that there will be superchargers north of Toronto. As soon as this looks realistic, I will put down a Model X reservation!

+1 on this, although I feel like 90% of the time they will be underutilized but during peak cottage country traffic hours there's going to be a huge wait.

Drilling deeper into that CSA approval list, the first three are described as follows;

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Permanently connected, outdoor use, electric vehicle charging station, model TS-70. Input; 208-240 V, 50/60 Hz, maximum 72 A continuous, 120 V to Ground; Output 208-240 V, 50/60 Hz, maximum 72 A continuous, 120 V to Ground.

So these are related to the HPWC hardware and cables.

The fourth item does not have a more detailed description attached to the file. May or may not be Supercharger hardware.
[/FONT]

So these are related to the HPWC hardware and cables.

The fourth item does not have a more detailed description attached to the file. May or may not be Supercharger hardware.

Pretty sure that stuff is all Level II.

For Superchargers they might not bother listing them. You can get installations approved on an individual basis. That would probably be more cost-effective for a relatively small number of installs.

OK, that makes sense. Sorry for the diversion. Since the 4th item shares a case number with the first three, I guess it's related to them. I couldn't find anything searching on the cUL site.

I think I've finally figured out Tesla delivery dates. They're on Mars time, not Earth time. One Mars year = 1.88 Earth years, which lines up pretty closely with their track record.

I'm really happy that there seems to be some movement on this. I'm wondering what the actual delay was considering the original date put forward. Not that it really matters at this point. I'll be curious to read this blog post that Elon mentioned, once it's posted.

oh and thanks for pointing Elon to my bitching, Khalid ;-)

Checked Kingston "site" today. Major construction going on. Looks like the are adding more box stores in the same area as the movie theatre. They were ripping up ashvalt and trenching for wiring/plumbing. No buildings up yet so gonna be a while, but at least there is something going on which should be the completion of this shopping/entertainment complex. I'll check again in a few weeks. No signs up about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.