Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The property is right next to the Tim Hortons in Hope. The city went with a private land owner instead of City land in order to avoid needing to do Community Hearings on land use. The owner of the land is not currently using it and there is nothing (just bare land) on the location currently. I'm not sure the status of permits.

I'm willing to bet the one in hope will get TREMENDOUS use. I make that trip every couple of weeks, and I know many owners who have lake properties in the Okanagon and Hope SC will open the road way up. Also, I know 4 owners in Kelowna who make the trip down to the coast alot, and then I know 5 owners in Vancouver who go up to Kelowna on a regular basis.

The property is right next to the Tim Hortons in Hope. The city went with a private land owner instead of City land in order to avoid needing to do Community Hearings on land use. The owner of the land is not currently using it and there is nothing (just bare land) on the location currently. I'm not sure the status of permits.

I'm willing to bet the one in hope will get TREMENDOUS use. I make that trip every couple of weeks, and I know many owners who have lake properties in the Okanagon and Hope SC will open the road way up. Also, I know 4 owners in Kelowna who make the trip down to the coast alot, and then I know 5 owners in Vancouver who go up to Kelowna on a regular basis.

Thanks for the info. I also make that trip every couple of weeks. But even so, I don't see how there will be TREMENDOUS use. We're talking about stops for one hour at most. So even with 50 regular users (and I don't see nearly that many) that means the vast majority of the time it will sit completely vacant. There are 16 hours from 7am to 11pm X 7 days per week = 112 hours. If the 50 people used it once every two weeks for one hour, then that's 25 hours of use, or less than 1/4, and to me that's being generous.

I've only been to one supercharger in Burlington. I arrived on a Sunday around noon and I was the only one there and there were about 7 stations. There are many more owners that take that I5 route than the No.1 through Hope.

I'm not saying the Hope one won't get used. I'm just saying relatively speaking it will get far less use than all of the ones Tesla is currently opening and have made a priority.

Due to the current 'seemingly never' approach to Canadian Superchargers, I put 'later than that'. I hope it is sooner than that but Canada isn't getting any love for some reason.

Yeah, we've discussed a number of possible "reasons" for this, and I'm sure they're valid, but it would be nice if Tesla were a bit more transparent and explained what the problems are. If they came out and said they were having problems with Canadian certifications -- fine. If they came out and said they were having trouble with the differing utility supply voltages -- fine. But all we have is an information vacuum and a Supercharger page at teslamotors.com that just keeps getting it's dates for Canada pushed back.

Thanks for the info. I also make that trip every couple of weeks. But even so, I don't see how there will be TREMENDOUS use. We're talking about stops for one hour at most. So even with 50 regular users (and I don't see nearly that many) that means the vast majority of the time it will sit completely vacant. There are 16 hours from 7am to 11pm X 7 days per week = 112 hours. If the 50 people used it once every two weeks for one hour, then that's 25 hours of use, or less than 1/4, and to me that's being generous.

I've only been to one supercharger in Burlington. I arrived on a Sunday around noon and I was the only one there and there were about 7 stations. There are many more owners that take that I5 route than the No.1 through Hope.

I'm not saying the Hope one won't get used. I'm just saying relatively speaking it will get far less use than all of the ones Tesla is currently opening and have made a priority.

Yes I agree. It won't be that busy, busy but not like in the USA.

Yeah, we've discussed a number of possible "reasons" for this, and I'm sure they're valid, but it would be nice if Tesla were a bit more transparent and explained what the problems are. If they came out and said they were having problems with Canadian certifications -- fine. If they came out and said they were having trouble with the differing utility supply voltages -- fine. But all we have is an information vacuum and a Supercharger page at teslamotors.com that just keeps getting it's dates for Canada pushed back.
I just sent an email to the director of Global EV Infrastructure for an update.
This is to follow up a response he sent to me 2 months ago.
I'll keep you all posted.

Yes I agree. It won't be that busy, busy but not like in the USA.

Not like in the USA at, say, Detroit Lake, Oregon or Ellensburg, Washington? There's really that much traffic to Bend, Oregon, or Spokane, Washington?

Good luck trying to justify those two (as an example) versus the Windsor to Quebec corridor, or even Hope or Squamish.

There has to be some issue specific to Canada.

IMG_20140602_170304.jpg

Unless the Supercharger can be delivered via UPS, the Squamish site has no visible progress as of today. As for what the hold up is, my best guess (other than the BC Hydro stuff I mentioned earlier) is to blame Harper, Clark, or both :p.

In order to better speculate on what's causing the delays, let's rule out potential reasons.

It certainly isn't because the electricity isn't clean enough. Quebec is #1 in North America ranked by the least CO2 produced per kWh. Ontario and BC must be light years of most places in the USA, where Obama's plans to drop electricity from coal from 37% to 30% is considered radical.

here's a teaser ... http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/supercharger/drummondville

nice to see even if they have the province wrong ;~)

don't know what (if any) significance it has in relation to when it will come online but it is still something more to chew on than we had before.

there are others that having coming soon pages as found by airj1012 and emupilot http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...harger-network?p=673572&viewfull=1#post673572

for example

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/supercharger/squamish
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/supercharger/toronto
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/supercharger/cornwall
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/supercharger/kingston

Those all say 1 stall ??? ... and nothing for London, Chatham or Barrie !!

All of the coming soon pages I've seen say 1 stall ... I assume it will get updated when they come online as will the rest of the info (directions and what's nearby, etc.).

What's nice is it confirms some of the locations and gives us a vehicle for verifying other rumored to be coming soon. Take for example Hope ... nothing yet so I would expect it to be among the first batch to come online.

It is great news that those location pages are up. Usually that predicts a live Supercharger site within a month or so. Yet, there are zero reports of construction!

Btw, does anyone know how many Model S have been sold in Ontario or Quebec?

I think in the past we've heard that there are >1000 cars in Canada now (I could be wrong). I would wager that 2/3's of those are in Ontario and Quebec.

It is great news that those location pages are up. Usually that predicts a live Supercharger site within a month or so. Yet, there are zero reports of construction!

Btw, does anyone know how many Model S have been sold in Ontario or Quebec?

Status
Not open for further replies.