Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Canada kind of unique in being this stringent? Or will Tesla have had to face similar issues in other countries?

If my suspicion is correct, it is likely a metering thing. Canada is different than the US in that we have a federal agency (Measurement Canada) that is responsible for all metrology. Everything from gasoline pumps to the butcher's scale to electricity. Canadian utilities can only use meters that are approved and sealed by Measurement Canada whereas in the US, it is up to the utility to ensure metering accuracy. Since 277/480 is not a standard voltage in Canada, there are likely no meters approved for use. There are plenty that would work just fine, but it would be against federal law to do so.

That's not to say Tesla couldn't take utility power at 347/600 volts and step it down with a transformer on "their" side of the meter but it adds costs and complexities to the installation.

Most (all??) EU countries are 400 volt for low voltage 3-phase standard. But the kicker is, they're all at 50 Hz there. However, as stated, Canada's electrical standards are much more stringent than Europe and the US.

Complete list: Three-phase electric power (voltages/frequencies) - World Standards

A lot of electrical standards are based around allowable heat rise of electrical conductors and equipment. Run a current through anything, and there will be some of the power lost through heat. In wires, for example, for any given combination of voltage/current, that heat rise will decrease as the conductor size increases. Canadian Electrical Code allows less heat in conductors than many other countries, so wiring must be larger gauge in many cases. The same can apply to just about any other component in the system, and even to the spacing between components in a cabinet (to allow for heat dissipation).

Morristhecat
How do you like the black roof look now that you have had it for a little while? Also, how do you find stereo quality for the non-premium version? Thanks!

@hingisfan,
I do like the black roof, but I don't think it goes well with the blue since there isn't enough contrast between them. If I had to do it again I would either get blue with blue roof, or grey/white/red with black roof. I think the base stereo sounds awesome!

Ok, sorry we got off topic. Back to the grass growing.

@hingisfan,
I do like the black roof, but I don't think it goes well with the blue since there isn't enough contrast between them. If I had to do it again I would either get blue with blue roof, or grey/white/red with black roof. I think the base stereo sounds awesome!

@Morristhecat
Do you find the stereo goes loud enough? I have heard others say it's good quality but you can get it very loud. I was thinking silver or white with black roof, probably silver as I'm not one to clean my car very often and silver is the best for not showing dirt. PM me if you want to keep further off-topic off the thread, but not much going on right now anyway. Thanks!

Last edited:
@hingisfan,

Come this November, if you dig in some bulbs, there will be flowers to go with the grass next spring!

The Barrie supercharger just appeared on the "Coming Soon" map at Supercharger | Tesla Motors. It wasn't there 2 days ago, and this is the only change on the map in the past 2 days (I have a screen shot from May 28).

I noticed that today too as I thought there were just the four 401 SCs for Ontario coming soons. Good news that they are working on things I guess.

The Barrie supercharger just appeared on the "Coming Soon" map at Supercharger | Tesla Motors. It wasn't there 2 days ago, and this is the only change on the map in the past 2 days (I have a screen shot from May 28).

It's also the only change on the End of 2014 and End of 2015 maps. [Side note for Doug_G: I'm using the supernova-search method here: blinking between two images :smile:]

More is better! Any would be nice.

And we have an app for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.