Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...I say shame on the cynics who thought we would see the snow fly (again) before a Canadian supercharger! :wink:

I'm a die hard Canucks' fan. I don't know how to be anything but cynical. The fact that we're going to have Superchargers in BC before a Stanley Cup is sad. Next, a team from a colony on Mars will win the Cup... that's not much different than it going to LA two of the past three years.

Considering without them I wouldn't be able to travel at all, never mind conveniently.
Absolutely correct ! Without the SCH charging network we have now, I wouldn't to have been able to drive from Alberta to the US West Coast and experience the Tesla Super chargers. Hopefully SCH has a plan that won't make them obsolete at least to TESLA owners as the Superchargers are built out in the next few years.
BTW I have a Roadster to Model S charge cable. Any takers ?

Yeah, with 3 hour stops for lunch or dinner. No Thanks Sun Country!
The only way to traverse east to west in Canada in a Tesla is through the northern Excited States and their SC network.
Canada will not be serviced by the Supercharger network at all!

I'm a die hard Canucks' fan. I don't know how to be anything but cynical. The fact that we're going to have Superchargers in BC before a Stanley Cup is sad. Next, a team from a colony on Mars will win the Cup... that's not much different than it going to LA two of the past three years.

Elon will soon be commuting between LA and Mars, so I guess that it true. :wink:

Heard an interesting tidbit yesterday. Apparently Tesla has approached the city of Kitchener about Superchargers in the Tannery District downtown. Seems like an odd location off of the main highway thoroughfares, but at least the good news is that Tesla is out there sniffing out sites.

That'd be both really cool for me since I work at the Tannery and possibly help speed up my purchase timeline. Although the supercharger at my starting point is not that useful.

They had a test drive even here about a month ago and they had to run cars back and forth to the mall and BlackBerry for charging (30A at Conestoga mall, 70A at BlackBerry). As for long distance travel the Tannery is a good 10 minute detour from the 401. It would be a lot better to have the chargers somewhere in the Sportsworld drive area.

Anything west of Toronto isn't listed as coming soon so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Yeah, that just seems nuts based on the Toronto-Windsor traffic. I recently made that trek and it is pretty much all 3-lanes (except for a small stretch of 2-lane highway in the middle between London and Chatham). They're even in the process of tearing out bridges to widen sections to 4 or 5 lanes. The last time I drove to Montreal, the 401 was mostly 2 lanes once you get east of the GTA which says to me there must be less traffic than to the west.

As for long distance travel the Tannery is a good 10 minute detour from the 401. It would be a lot better to have the chargers somewhere in the Sportsworld drive area.

I think it's more than 10 minutes. I regularly drive that route on my way to the Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro building from where I work in Cambridge. Personally, I think the Smart Centre right off the 401 at Hespeler Road would be ideal. They have a huge parking lot and it is full of shops, restaurants and big box stores. Easy on and off to the 401. Sportsworld wouldn't be bad either, but the exit/entrance to the 401 is a lot trickier there.

Last edited:
Yeah, that just seems nuts based on the Toronto-Windsor traffic. I recently made that trek and it is pretty much all 3-lanes (except for a small stretch of 2-lane highway in the middle between London and Chatham). They're even in the process of tearing out bridges to widen sections to 4 or 5 lanes. The last time I drove to Montreal, the 401 was mostly 2 lanes once you get east of the GTA which says to me there must be less traffic than to the west.

The reason is pretty obvious - the most Tesla sales in Eastern Canada are in Montreal and Toronto. So it makes sense prioritizing connecting those two locations.

The reason is pretty obvious - the most Tesla sales in Eastern Canada are in Montreal and Toronto. So it makes sense prioritizing connecting those two locations.

That doesn't really make any sense to me. Those two centers have high population concentrations, so it makes sense that their sales are there, but it doesn't follow that owners necessarily want to travel between the two centers just because there are Tesla owners at the other end of the road. I am in the Toronto area and have no interest in travelling to Montreal. I'm sure there are Montrealers who have no interest in coming west. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I just have no friends or family in that direction. The Superchargers should be located on the most highly traveled routes (regardless of vehicle type) because that is where more people are going, and would go in a Tesla if they could. There are lots of Teslas in New York and Michigan, and tourism in the summer is a very important aspect of the southwestern Ontario economy. I'm not saying the eastern route shouldn't be built... I am just questioning the change in prioritization because originally the entire Hwy 401 corridor was to be completed at about the same time.

Last edited:
Accepting the fact that it's not my personal supercharger, the main purpose of the one here is to all people from Seattle to go to Whistler. I recall hearing it as "with superchargers now you can go far north past Seattle and soon all the way to Whistler, Canada". Taking that into consideration, my money is on whichever location best serves Americans on a roadtrip north, rather than Canadians on a roadtrip east or west to be the deciding factor for the first supercharger in Eastern Canada. It's pessimistic but it seems to be the case to me. After finally getting a chance to use a supercharger yesterday, the one in Burlington, I've been spoiled by charging at 503 km/hr. A CS100 will never be the same to me.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems Squamish is simply is an extension of the west coast supercharger network so that's why it may have been made a priority (but I hate to use that word given how long it is taking). The problem, as I see it, is that the line to Alberta doesn't even seem to be moving forward, except for the grumblings we hear about Hope.

After finally getting a chance to use a supercharger yesterday, the one in Burlington, I've been spoiled by charging at 503 km/hr. A CS100 will never be the same to me.

I made a trip down just to try it. Just wondering if anyone else was using it at the same time?

Great news, courtesy of our fellow TMC member Slyastro. Big thanks to Sly for using his contacts and getting information at the source.

We now have an official location for the Drummondville Supercharger, and it should be operational in August (2014 :wink:) !!!

Original link to his blog post (in french) is here.

In a nutshell:

1. It will be located in the parking lot of LES PROMENADES DRUMMONDVILLE, 755 BOUL. RENÉ-LÉVESQUE, DRUMMONDVILLE, QUÉBEC, J2C 6Y7.

2. The agreement with the mall owners is finalised !

3. The permit has not yet been obtained from Hydro-Quebec, but they are apparently cooperating very well.

4. The municipal permits have not been granted, but the municipality is apparently eager to proceed, and this should be only a formality.

Woohoo !!!

We've long since learned to believe it only when we see it. I've read those comments before: going as fast as we can, everyone's so co-operative, etc. As for « Cependant le site de Toronto et de Squamish (Colombie-britannique) est maintenant repoussé au mois de juillet », same reaction, for the Toronto site, at least. (Site selection doesn't mean much: it's been known in Toronto for a long time.)

I'd be pleased to be proved wrong. Tesla should take notably more interest in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.