Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mais les travaux prendent-ils 5 semaines? Ou seulement 2? Hmm . . . how long did it take Squamish to become operational after ground breaking? (Of course, that is not necessarily relevant to Drummondville or elsewhere, and if Tesla has ever been on time in this subject when no physical work has been started, I'm not aware of it.)

Mais les travaux prendent-ils 5 semaines? Ou seulement 2? Hmm . . . how long did it take Squamish to become operational after ground breaking? (Of course, that is not necessarily relevant to Drummondville or elsewhere, and if Tesla has ever been on time in this subject when no physical work has been started, I'm not aware of it.)

Ground breaking in Squamish was June 17; it was operational July 11.

Just spent a few days in California with a Model S (not mine), for TMC Connect + Refuel + some meetings. Used Superchargers on multiple occasions. Holy crap those things are fast and soooo convenient. Sit down in a Starbucks for some tea, wander back to the car, and it's already done!!!

Essie is still pining for some super electrons. Crossing fingers that she'll get to Supercharge soon.

When I will see the construction work begin at Drummondville site, I will relax ... it will mean that it's REAL! Of course, I don't believe that it will be ONLINE only 2 weeks after construction work begins ... but the FIRST SuperCharger in Quebec will finally be there!! I can wait 2 more weeks ... I've been waiting for YEARS!! :)

Hey my friend. Glad to hear from you!! Next time I am in Trois Rivieres, I will pass to say "hi"! ;-)
Agree with you, looking forward to the Drummondville Super Charger. I was there this past weekend, went to the location and there is simply nothing going on (in terms of construction).
Lets go lets go!!

Leo

My message to tesla motors SC (I encourage others to do the same)

Thank you for your continued effort at Super Charging Canada, specifically the recent opening of the Squamish Charging Location.

I'd like to suggest that you install a SC in Merritt BC. You are currently working on a SC in Hope BC which is a great location, yet is right before the Coquihalla Hwy. I drive this route 1 or 2 times a month and often continue from Hope > Merritt > Kelowna. Currently, traveling across the Coquihalla on a 60Kw battery consumes about 190km range (this is during the summer when range is greater). Continuing to Kelowna (without stopping for a charge in Merritt), will bring you into downtown Kelowna with 0 km range (again in Summer weather). Furthermore, coming back from Kelowna you need to go up a 30km hill which eats your range to the point where you are technically unable to make it back to Hope BC.

Furthermore, Merritt is a main junction point on the #1 hwy. It serves to connect Hope > Kelowna, Hope to Kamloops, Hope > Lytton. Hope to Princeton (via the 97C junction)

Another concern is an error in assumption, which is understandable if you are not from BC. The Coquihalla Hwy is FREQUENTLY closed between Merritt and Hope as a result of winter accidents, avalanches, and extreme winter conditions. As a result, drivers are OFTEN redirected to either the #1 via Lytton, or #3 via Princeton. In each of these situations, the driver (even in an 85) would not have sufficient range to make it to Hope BC.

Below is a link to the Google map showing one location which would be ideal for a SC. The location (at Crawford Ave), is connected to a bus stop (rest rooms, cafe, service station, showers), in the parking lot of a Boston Pizza, Walmart, and walking distance to a Tim Hortons, Mc Donalds, Gas Stations, Dairy Queen, KFC, Starbucks, and Subway.

Finally, this location has an enormous parking lot which means Tesla should have no troubles accessing 6 stalls for the SC. The site is also well lit and has recent power brought in for the Boston Pizza which was recently constructed.

Merritt, BC - Google Maps

I agree with Merritt, though I think a better location would be slightly west of where you suggest ... just over the other side of the Coq. There are also large parking lots in the area of the Can Tire store, more places to eat/drink/shop, and also pretty close to a couple hotels, like the Ramada.

I'm driving to Merritt for work on Thursday evening, planning to have dinner in Hope. Going to scope out the area where the SC is supposed to go. Would be nice to see a couple holes in the ground!

My message to tesla motors SC (I encourage others to do the same)

I don't doubt that a SpC is warranted in Merritt. It is also worthy to consider more SpC sites East of Ontario.

Merritt would make for a total of 8 SpC sites planned for Alberta + BC before the end of 2015, for provinces that total about 8.5 million in population, whereas ~10.2 million Canadians live in a province East of Ontario for only one SpC installation (Drummondville, QC) planned. Is there any logical reason why Eastern Canada is so underrepresented in SpCs, other than the subcontractor not having an office there?

I would suggest that the order of bringing SC sites online has less to do with total population statistics than it does to proximity of actual buyers. And absolutely nothing to do with locations of B&V offices. The B&V office in Vancouver has (at last report) only two engineers, no electrical eng at all, and has a business focus on water and wastewater treatment processes. I know this because B&V has been trying to poach engineers from my own firm - and one of those two they do have worked for us just over a year ago. B&V does have a Toronto area office (Markham), btw.

Locations

The Squamish site was an important milestone in completion of their west coast network. It allows for the bragging rights - full connection from the Mexican border to Whistler (and there's not much traffic going beyond that point. There are a LOT of owners in Seattle with Whistler condos. Vancouver is a somewhat "green" city in that there is a focus on lower impact living - more so than most other cities, so it's likely there are more buyers per capita than any other Canadian market (I don't have any real numbers to back that up!).

Further to that, the whole process of working with utilities to get approval is more challenging in Canada, as each province has its own utility structure with its own demands. Having completed the first installation in BC, it will be much easier for them to proceed with installing more in this province. Ontario will have other unique challenges, and it's reasonable to expect delays due to those challenges. Again, once the first one is done in ON, I expect more will come in quick succession.

I would suggest that the order of bringing SC sites online has less to do with total population statistics than it does to proximity of actual buyers.

I am not discussing the order of bringing the planned sites online. I am discussing the geographical distribution of SpCs as they appear on the end of 2015 map.

As for proximity to actual buyers, it's doubtful that there are seven times as many owners in BC + Alberta as there are in Quebec + the Atlantic provinces, yet that is what the ratio of SpC installations is. So, if you can rightfully argue that more SpC installations are warranted for BC, I can certainly ask why the Trans-Canadian highway isn't serviced East of Drummondville. It is true that many Washington owners will use SpCs in Western Canada, but the Atlantic Provinces and Quebec get lots of visitors from New York and New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.