Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The developments in Toronto and Cornwall are making the absence of the Kingston Supercharger increasingly frustrating. While Toronto to Ottawa (via Hwy 7) is doable in an 85 in warm weather (its around 400 km) it is not feasible during the winter months, making the Kingston Supercharger a necessity.

Any news as to whether Kingston will be in place by the end of the year? It (and Barrie) are still listed as coming soon (as it has been since mid-2013).

Kingston supposed to be in the mall expansion that is currently under construction. Guessing another 8-12 weeks before its near completion.

1437 posts about Canadian Supercharges and still can't drive from Toronto to Montreal. Really now, what is the hold up?

Next rant: It's very exciting to see a supercharger in Toronto. Yet, it's really not that useful for a very large segment of Ontario owners. And Barrie? It's only 90 km from Toronto. Maybe something a little closer to Gravenhurst would make more sense.

I dropped in at the Yorkdale store. The reps there either don't know or aren't saying much about superchargers.

Frustrated.

1437 posts about Canadian Supercharges and still can't drive from Toronto to Montreal. Really now, what is the hold up?

Next rant: It's very exciting to see a supercharger in Toronto. Yet, it's really not that useful for a very large segment of Ontario owners. And Barrie? It's only 90 km from Toronto. Maybe something a little closer to Gravenhurst would make more sense.

I dropped in at the Yorkdale store. The reps there either don't know or aren't saying much about superchargers.

Frustrated.

Well, what I will do on my side to fix that for the moment is that I'll max my battery charge before departure from MTL, will go then SuperCharge at Cornwall (117 km) to re-max my battery charge at 420 km and then going to Best Western Kingston to re-charge for about 1 hour (adding +68 km). I will have a good range buffer with the battery from Cornwall to To SC... the +68 km from Kingston will give me actually a 69 km buffer as the distance between Cornwall - Tesla Toronto/Lawrence is 419 km (battery rated range from Cornwall = 420km + charge at Kingston +68km = 488 km - 419km = 69km spare in case of headwind or rain).

BTW, anyone here have experience of how long it takes to charge from 303 rated range km to 420 km using a SC? (considering the tapering)

Thanks in advance!

Yes it is frustrating, but in the case of Kingston it sounds like the site isn't ready for them. I just hope it is online before the weather gets cold.

Tesla has a policy of not discussing opening dates for Superchargers until they're sure when that is going to happen. In practice that means the only "warning" we get is from people stopping by to look and snap pictures. Tesla really likes to control information. You might start hearing from store staff that the opening is imminent a few days before it happens.

Frustrated.

Yep.

And Barrie? It's only 90 km from Toronto. Maybe something a little closer to Gravenhurst would make more sense.

Frustrated.

A Gravenhurst location won't do much for people traveling up the 400. A supercharger just prior to the #400 and #11 divide covers both routes. Keep in mind also that some drivers are heading north from West and East of Toronto and so the distance to Barrie is going to be greater than 90 kms for many.

A Gravenhurst location won't do much for people traveling up the 400. A supercharger just prior to the #400 and #11 divide covers both routes. Keep in mind also that some drivers are heading north from West and East of Toronto and so the distance to Barrie is going to be greater than 90 kms for many.

I was just going to point that out, but I still like the idea of Gravenhurst or Bracebridge (and maybe somewhere near Mactier on the 400 side) as future sites to enable travel even further north.

- - - Updated - - -

Next rant: It's very exciting to see a supercharger in Toronto. Yet, it's really not that useful for a very large segment of Ontario owners.

I get that the Lawrence location was probably quick and easy for them, but it really isn't ideal for Hwy 401 travellers. I used to work at Lawrence and Underwriters and came in from the west end of the GTA along the 401. That piece from the 401 down the DVP to Lawrence could take a half hour at times. That's a long diversion off your travel route for a charge. If you're already going up or down the DVP, it's not so bad.

I get that the Lawrence location was probably quick and easy for them, but it really isn't ideal for Hwy 401 travellers... That piece from the 401 down the DVP to Lawrence could take a half hour at times.

Agree, as well, the Toronto store location is not the best for those folks starting 50-100 kms west of Toronto, who really just want to get the H3LL by it to points east...it is an EV friendly drive using the 407 to bypass TO (as it is easy to set the cruise control at 90kph due to the reduced levels of traffic compared with the 401)...getting off the 407, and travelling down to the Lawrence St. store will be an exercise in frustration for most...leaving the Hamilton / Niagara / Haldimand regions with a full range charge make Kingston a stretch...imo, Cobourg would be a nice "fill in" once Tesla gets around to it...

Well, what I will do on my side to fix that for the moment is that I'll max my battery charge before departure from MTL, will go then SuperCharge at Cornwall (117 km) to re-max my battery charge at 420 km and then going to Best Western Kingston to re-charge for about 1 hour (adding +68 km). I will have a good range buffer with the battery from Cornwall to To SC... the +68 km from Kingston will give me actually a 69 km buffer as the distance between Cornwall - Tesla Toronto/Lawrence is 419 km (battery rated range from Cornwall = 420km + charge at Kingston +68km = 488 km - 419km = 69km spare in case of headwind or rain).

That is exactly what i am hoping to do this weekend. Assuming the Cornwall SC will be open by Saturday. If not, I plan on stopping at the Cornwall BW to top up first (so would likely cause me an extra hour over the SC wait time). We will see

sc2.jpg

Am I the first one?

I was just going to point that out, but I still like the idea of Gravenhurst or Bracebridge (and maybe somewhere near Mactier on the 400 side) as future sites to enable travel even further north.

Wouldn't Parry Sound and Huntsville be better locations? Parry Sound is almost midway between Barrie and Sudbury. Huntsville is almost midway between Barrie and North Bay, plus it would support Highway 60 traffic, should you wish to visit Algonquin Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.