Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceled my day 1 Model 3 reservation... and bought an S!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just picked her up yesterday. 2013 S85 in the Pearl White with almost all of the available options including the silver 21’s! She doesn’t have the jump seats or twin chargers :( but has everything else.

For me it made more financial sense to go with a used S. Besides the fact that it was the MS that I had originally fell in love with too.

I live in an apartment without access to plug her in, my parking spot at work has 110v, so supercharging is important to me and it being at no additional cost helps!

I test drove my first S in June of 2013 and knew it was going to be my next car.

I’m super excited to finally be a part of the Tesla family!

This was at our first stop on our way back.

Attachments

• E3D55B18-614A-4713-AF75-495C5CDADEBB.jpeg
    E3D55B18-614A-4713-AF75-495C5CDADEBB.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 122
Canceled my Day 1 Model 3 reservation... and bought an S!!

For me it made more financial sense to go with a used S. Besides the fact that it was the MS that I had originally fell in love with too.
I think a LOT of ppl are having the 'New Model 3 vs Used Model S' internal debate.

For me, the MS's long, low, sexy exterior styling (very 'Aston Martin'-ish) is hard for the Model 3 to stand up to. Even though the Mod 3 is nice-enough-looking in its own right.

Plus, no matter what Elon tweets about how on the Mod 3 "you won't miss" the second screen/HUD behind the steering wheel... uhh, nope, I would miss the second screen/HUD behind the steering wheel, Elon. Much as I dig ya.

And they didn't even integrate the big central screen into the dash on the Mod 3... it's just hanging out there in space. Odd interior design choices.

I guess in the broader sense, lot of ppl probably won't care, and the Mod 3 will be a huge hit. I get it. But I don't think *I* can get past it.

So used MS or new MS all the way pour moi. Enjoy yours. :cool:

Reactions: thegooch49 and Ken7
Whoo! I did the same thing about a month ago and I've been loving it. I figured if I was going to spend all that money on all the Model 3 options I wanted I might as well just get the car that I actually want.

That was our decision in October 2016 when HW2 was announced. Almost 1 year of grin later and its clearly the right call. We did spend about $30k more but we also got that $7500 tax credit and have had our wonderful car for over a year longer than we would've had we kept our 3 reservation (which was also day 1 but reserved online). Tesla took 6 weeks to send our check so we couldn't use it pay for the S but it was still bittersweet depositing it back.

Congrats on your new Model S! When you have time, I strongly encourage you look for an alternate charging solution. 110v seems workable at first but it will become a nuisance when you realize how much you enjoy driving the car, not to mention the obvious local Supercharger usage discussion.

Your apartment will likely drag their feet, but it is possible to install 220v charging in a shared parking environment. Or perhaps encourage your employer to offer charging. I'm sure you've looked at these things already, but it's worth really pushing and spending some $ to make it happen.

Reactions: JPUConn
I'm there with ya.....I'm a day 1, and am ready to pull the trigger on a CPO S once the perfect model comes up. I rented an S on Turo for 24 hours. Such a fun experience. Spent the day giving co-workers rides, and wowing them with AP and the acceleration. It even sold the wife on the car! I personally love how big it is....

Reactions: Sather
Yes congratulations! I am in the same boat, asked for a refund on my day 0 (waited in line) reservation on the M3 and ordered a RWD MS on September 29th. The good news is the delivery time has now dropped to Late October-November, can't wait!