Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled my order today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with your analogy, smartphones are a great piece of technology when compared to a pager. It’s not even close at how much more functionality you get with a smartphone.

A yoke provides no technological advancement over a round wheel, the ergonomics are awkward at best and turn signals being buttons is just a change for changes sake, there’s no improvement, it’s just different. Not everyone is going to like something different especially when that something provides no meaningful benefit.
Yes, the analogy is terrible on a few levels.

I bought smartphones with physical buttons for quite a while. I switched when the manufacturers stopped making good phones that had slide out keyboards. I still am slower on a touchscreen typing, though learning to swipe has closed the gap some. Smart phones still have power and volume controls on the side. Imagine if they got rid of those?

I hope they always offer wired charging because I tend to use my phone in bed, plugged in.

Then again, I don't care what Apple does since I don't buy their overpriced products.

That‘s fair. But I don’t think someone should get fired over the yoke. I agree that they should offer a round steering wheel.
Agreed, I don’t think anyone should be fired for it and they should have definitely offered both options, simply to appeal to a larger market.
Could have even charged extra for the yoke since I’m sure there would be people willing to pay extra for something unique.

Too funny.

I think Ive seen one or two actually sell their car because they couldn’t get used to the yoke.

I’ve seen several say they thought they’d hate it and now don’t mind it. And several of those have said now given then choice, would not choose a regular wheel.

Funny how entrenched some people are into their beliefs before having true experience.

Then again, I don't care what Apple does since I don't buy their overpriced products.
I do because they seem to last for several years. I’m only on my second smartphone since 2009. Meanwhile friends of mine have had to swap their android phones several times. I don’t like going through that hassle. Especially when the phones still run the software needed and Apple updates older phones even with security patches.

I do because they seem to last for several years. I’m only on my second smartphone since 2009. Meanwhile friends of mine have had to swap their android phones several times. I don’t like going through that hassle. Especially when the phones still run the software needed and Apple updates older phones even with security patches.
There's really nothing about Apple products that makes them last longer or shorter than Android. They're all made in the same factories from similar parts.

I think removing the headphone jack was a bad move. Now you can't use headphones and charge at the same time. It's a very Tesla move.

All the things I thought would be annoying about my Model Y are annoying. All the things I thought would be good are good. I can see quite clearly that the Tesla yoke would be a nightmare for me. It'd make me hate the car. Could I physically deal? Sure. Would I want to? No. Is the acceleration worth it? No. Absolutely not.

There's really nothing about Apple products that makes them last longer or shorter than Android. They're all made in the same factories from similar parts.

I think removing the headphone jack was a bad move. Now you can't use headphones and charge at the same time. It's a very Tesla move.

All the things I thought would be annoying about my Model Y are annoying. All the things I thought would be good are good. I can see quite clearly that the Tesla yoke would be a nightmare for me. It'd make me hate the car. Could I physically deal? Sure. Would I want to? No. Is the acceleration worth it? No. Absolutely not.
This is getting interesting. What do you like and dislike about your Y? Knowing that an anti Apple person can’t be convinced of anything, I won’t try.

Well… my experience and my friend’s experience with the phones would say otherwise. But whatever. Hope you enjoy whatever vehicle and phone you buy.

Pretty amazing ability to know exactly what you like/dislike before you ever try it. Must save a fortune on wasted food/drink/product purchases and picking significant others. I wish I had that much foresight. :)

Oh and there is a solution for the iPhone charging and headphones at the same time. (Albeit is an added expense.)

Last edited:
Well… my experience and my friend’s experience with the phones would say otherwise. But whatever. Hope you enjoy whatever vehicle and phone you buy.

Pretty amazing ability to know exactly what you like/dislike before you ever try it. Must save a fortune on wasted food/drink/product purchases and picking significant others. I wish I had that much foresight. :)

Oh and there is a solution for the iPhone charging and headphones at the same time. (Albeit is an added expense.)

Also a MagSafe charger can accomplish the same task

• Informative
Reactions: TexasTezla and SO16
Hey about cancelling orders...after putting up with EDD for many months, why let Tesla get off easy? Deliver to a Store. Insist they open the car, they may say they can't, but they will if you word it right.

Take a good look at the car, learn as much as you can, pics of worms and wrinkles, etc, and then reject unless it is exactly what you ordered.

Sound dishonest or unprofessional? Compared to what Tesla has been doing to Refresh customers, not even close..

Reactions: AMPd
Hey about cancelling orders...after putting up with EDD for many months, why let Tesla get off easy? Deliver to a Store. Insist they open the car, they may say they can't, but they will if you word it right.

Take a good look at the car, learn as much as you can, pics of worms and wrinkles, etc, and then reject unless it is exactly what you ordered.

Sound dishonest or unprofessional? Compared to what Tesla has been doing to Refresh customers, not even close..
Wow, much respect lost.

Reactions: TexasTezla and SO16
I ordered a MS LR in June and yesterday I was notified it was in Atlanta and was ready to be picked up. It was a sudden notice because my account said it wouldn’t be here for another 2 months. The SA said it is prepped, washed and ready to go. My guess is someone else didn’t like the car or fit/finish. Anyway, after thinking overnight I’ve decided to cancel my order for a reason that is both dumb and reasonable at the same time.

Why cancel? Because of the driving controls. We have a soon to be 16 year old and he loves driving our MY LR. He would be driving the S and I don’t like him learning on a car without a stalk like every other car in the planet. We have 10 cars with 3 drivers, so adding the MS would be a confusing proposition for me and my son to switch between. I’m too old to not hit the center of the wheel when I need to honk the horn in a panic situation. And I can’t standing the turn signal buttons. That’s nuts. Not having turn signal stalk is not optimal for a new driver or us old folks. Really, spending $10 to add a turn signal stalk should have been a $200 option IMO.

I think we’d get used to the yoke, the PDNR controls, and the new way of turning on the self driving mode.

I was hoping Tesla would offer a center horn button and turn signal stalk, but it didn’t happen. So there’s a black MS LR sitting in the north Atlanta deliver center needing a home. I’m sure it was sold quickly to the next person in line. Nobody at Tesla cares if I don’t like the new controls. It’s a shame they don’t listen to customers; but that’s the nazi soup guy way.
I think they generally do listen (there are often fixes and additions in software updates that come out of feedback) - but they really messed up on this one. Maybe a hurried launch timeline, or lack of usability testing...? I'm 99% sure that the new version of the Plaid will fix/reverse most, if not all of these stupid mistakes. The yoke with the touch buttons are particularly bad because they can't add a stalk or a normal steering wheel with a horn in the middle via software update... If a lot of people voice their opinion about how dumb and especially, potentially unsafe these choices were, there could even be a mandated recall... I am definitely not buying a MS/X until they fix these things.

Reactions: Boza and FFCars

AirPods

Reactions: SO16
Right? Very much looking forward to that. What I’m cautiously optimistic about is no creep.
I love one pedal driving. I hardly ever use the breaks - mostly in unexpected or emergency situations only. And the "hold" setting is great. It's just so damn convenient. Before I got the car I thought I would just leave it on creep, as that's what I was used to - but it took about 30 seconds to see the light :) and I never looked back. It just makes sense.

I don't understand all the complainers. To me the calculus is incredibly simple -- if the design of the car does not satisfy your particular needs or preferences, then don't buy it. However, if you buy it, then you only have to blame if you do not like the design features contained within it. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying...

I don't understand all the complainers. To me the calculus is incredibly simple -- if the design of the car does not satisfy your particular needs or preferences, then don't buy it. However, if you buy it, then you only have to blame if you do not like the design features contained within it. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying...

There are some complainers I have empathy with, those that bought cars with promised features, which have not been released yet.

Still, those skilled in the art of divining the actual timing and maturity of said features by Tesla, have had pretty of time and data to make a conservative assessment of when, if, or how those features present themselves. They should not be too upset if the features like ANC, are say six months late.

That's about 2 weeks in Tesla time!

There are some complainers I have empathy with, those that bought cars with promised features, which have not been released yet.

Still, those skilled in the art of divining the actual timing and maturity of said features by Tesla, have had pretty of time and data to make a conservative assessment of when, if, or how those features present themselves. They should not be too upset if the features like ANC, are say six months late.

That's about 2 weeks in Tesla time!

I do not complain about those features I knew about and ordered the vehicle anyway.

I do complain about the promises made and not kept. I do complain about the advertisement of features not yet delivered. I do complain about the blatant lies by Tesla regarding delivery, features, service, etc.

Reactions: aerodyne
Speaking of Apple products, their new M1 chips are impressive. I asked my VLSI engineer friend about why. He said that, since they control their entire ecosystem, they can drop all the general purpose parts that Intel has and focus specifically on the needs of the consumer. Hence integrating RAM and more onto one chip while dropping all the features Intel needs, like supporting virtualization and legacy code. It's gonna be an interesting future for processors. I can't stand IOS and Mac OS, I find the Apple tax ridiculous, and I don't need much processing power, so it doesn't really affect me directly. I'd be hard pressed to do anything that can show the difference between an i3 and an i9. Still, fascinating.