Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Supercharge after 4.5 software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got up at 5.30 this morning to Supercharge at Folsom during breakfast on the way to Tahoe. Unfortunately charging would start, voltage climb up near 300 but when the amps only hit 4 or 5 it would drop back to 0 after only a couple seconds and only say 'charging stopped'. Tesla is flatbedding it. We have happily used this supercharger a couple times in the last month. I wonder if its the 4.5 update we did a couple days ago?

Will let everyone know how this pans out.

Had something like this happen at Gilroy once. I plugged in and the chargeport started blinking green. Walked away and checked with the mobile app a couple of minutes later only to discover that charging had stopped.

Walked back to the car, unplugged and plugged into the same port and it was all good!

We unplugged and replugged and tried another SC bay. The AC charging worked on a nearby Chargepoint though (but would have taken 12 hours). The 'Tesla Engineer' who was consulted by their assistance guy seemed to think that there is a hardware fault in the DC charging system of the car from his telemetry (so the software upgrade might be a coincidence). We flat bedded it to our cabin where I have a Nema 14-50 and am half way recharged already. We can make it down the hill without a recharge so will do that on Sunday - then its goes to the Menlo Park service center.

Sad pic:

flatbed.jpg

The bad thing is the car is not secured as it should be. There should be straps to the wheels holding it down, not the winch line. You need to check your alignment now, I will bet its off. ( this is what I do for a living and have for 40 yrs)

Now I'm terrified I'll be stranded when I try the Folsom supercharger for the very first time as part of a road trip.

I can't say it's not possible; but it sure seems rare - there are an awful lot of owners happily supercharging away. From reports on these forums, I would think a flat tire would be a more likely cause for delay on your trip. There are lots of things that can go wrong on a trip; I don't see this one as being particularly deserving of a sleepless night.

My first 4.5 upgrade had no issues, but the second one (one of the patch releases) reset my "Max Charge Rate" from 60amp down to 5amp. I discovered it the next morning when I had an insufficient charge.

I just changed the setting back to 60amp under the "Charging" menu and everything has been fine since.

Had something like this happen at Gilroy once. I plugged in and the chargeport started blinking green. Walked away and checked with the mobile app a couple of minutes later only to discover that charging had stopped.

Walked back to the car, unplugged and plugged into the same port and it was all good!

I had the same experience at the Delaware Supercharger on one occasion. Plugged in and it started to ramp up and then it stopped within a minute or so. Re-seated the charge cable and all was well.

I've used the DE Superchargers 6 times, and that specific charger/cable 5 of those times, and that was the only time it happened.

amp rating maxed out at a trip to the Supercharger yesterday, but holy smokes - charging at 114A ... and 122 mi/h

This looks like a battery-state-of-charge, charging limit. Note that 389V * 114A = 44.3 kW at 215 miles in the battery. See my dash display below with 212 miles in the battery. I was coming down the east side of Independence Pass after doing a range charge in Aspen and then climbing the west side of the pass. The regen limit in the display seems to be about 40kW, at a charge level similar to yours. Great consistency for two very different methods of charge! Note that my average regen rate for past few miles was about 250W-hr/mi; that times 40mi/hr is only 10kW average. Doing several minutes of regen with a high state of charge does produce regen charging limits very similar to Supercharger charging limits. I really felt the regen limit going into that 10mi/hr turn and had to use friction brakes to slow down to 20 or 25 for the turn. :biggrin:

Independence-Pass-down.JPG

So here's the update. We already had an appointment at the Menlo Park service center to fix our GPS that looses fix for extended periods every few days so we added the supercharger repair to that visit. When we booked it 3 weeks ago, they promised a Model S loaner. One was not available when we went to drop it off and the staff were indifferent so my wife walked out. An hour later they dropped one off at hour house and picked up our car. Apparently one became available when they realized how mich they pissed her off.

We got a P85 loaner which was nice of them. As an aside we liked it much less that our S85 - found the 21' tires much noisier and harsher with no handling benefit (and we like a sporty ride) and the sunroof was noisy too.

They had the car 3 days then we received an email saying 'everything was done including an alignment check'. When my wife picked it up this morning the clerk said they supercharger hardware was repaired (some components were replaced). She asked about the GPS that it was originally booked in for and they didn't even look at it. The Menlo Park service center sucks.