Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Captured a door dinger today on camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh, you even see her look right at where the door hit your car. They are parked way too close too, tire is right on the line. If you have a partial plate and know the make, model and color of the other car I would think the police have a good chance of identifying the car that did the damage.

Full plate and video allows police to make a house call and present it to them. Another similar thread ended up with the police getting the other party’s insurance and taking care of it. Partial plate depends on if the make/model/color and partial plate can be conclusively linked.

Reactions: T-Will
Any chance you could post the video showing the partial plate?

It seems like sentry mode rarely captures the full plate and I'm trying to figure out why. In the UK it's useless without the full plate. I think the issue is that it uses the narrow front camera which creates big blind spots at the 2 and 10 o'clock positions, so maybe an additional wide-angle dashcam would make it more useful.

Was there really any damage? That couldn't be buffed out? It looks like
it barely touched and she then she put out her hand to prevent further
contact. If the police has nothing better to do, I'd be surprised. And if
Tesla owners start bombarding them with these videos every time a
parking lot micro-ding occurs, they'll stop accepting them altogether,
even where there's malice or serious damage involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: aaron0k
It's a really frustrating thing to happen because if you claim the damage from your insurance then your premiums go up. You then have to claim the increased premiums from the at-fault party too... It drags on and is like getting blood out of a stone.

Hopefully the probability of getting caught will discourage people from doing it, and encourage car park designers to make spaces reasonably wide.

Was there really any damage? That couldn't be buffed out? It looks like
it barely touched and she then she put out her hand to prevent further
contact. If the police has nothing better to do, I'd be surprised. And if
Tesla owners start bombarding them with these videos every time a
parking lot micro-ding occurs, they'll stop accepting them altogether,
even where there's malice or serious damage involved.
not at all, these kind of videos/online news will prevent people from being stupid/careless at all times.

Reactions: Don TLR
It's a really frustrating thing to happen because if you claim the damage from your insurance then your premiums go up. You then have to claim the increased premiums from the at-fault party too... It drags on and is like getting blood out of a stone.

Hopefully the probability of getting caught will discourage people from doing it, and encourage car park designers to make spaces reasonably wide.

Your premiums should not increase for a comprehensive, not-at-fault claim. The issue will be your deductible. For a door ding, the deductible probable exceeds the cost of the repair. If you are at fault in a collision, then your premiums may go up, if the claim damages exceed a threshold - you can ask your insurance company what the threshold is. Typically in the $800 - $1000 range.