Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Captured a door dinger today on camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The person in the recent door hit post had a lot of luck and the police tracked down the individual.

In my case, although it was an actual hit and run, I had to do the work myself. (video in sig)
If I didn't recognize the guy (corrupt politician), this would have taken months.

Finally taking my car in to the shop later this week.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
From the insurance companies to the body shops,
it's one giant racket. Replace what could be cheaply
fixed, overbill, raise rates. They're making a living
pulling a lot of money from our pockets. And then if
anything goes further, the lawyer-sharks are waiting
with billable hours.

Your premiums should not increase for a comprehensive, not-at-fault claim. The issue will be your deductible. For a door ding, the deductible probable exceeds the cost of the repair. If you are at fault in a collision, then your premiums may go up, if the claim damages exceed a threshold - you can ask your insurance company what the threshold is. Typically in the $800 - $1000 range.

That's not how insurance works. What you pay is based on an assessment of your risk, and having a non-fault claim on your record increases that risk.

Looks like she tried very hard not to hit it. Problem is the parking job was terrible and the fact that these SUVs continue to get larger and larger making them more difficult to get in and out of in tight spots. I don't understand the big truck mentality in America, but it sure is popular.

I'm surprised that caused a ding. It didn't seem like much force. Still that's really unfortunate. I just wish people exercised more caution when they choose their parking spaces. It never ceases to amaze when I see people squeezing into the tiniest spaces just so they could save themselves from walking 20 feet to their destination. This is why I choose to park my Tesla far away in the least crowded area of the parking lot. Also some people are very reckless when they open their car doors. I had a girl pull up next to me and just swing her door open with no regard and it hit my side mirror. Luckily there was no damage and I was in my other car which is a lease.

That's not how insurance works. What you pay is based on an assessment of your risk, and having a non-fault claim on your record increases that risk.
Hmm. I just talked to my agent today and he said if I turned in a glass claim to comp that it wouldn't change my rates, just cost the deductible. Is he blowing smoke up my ass to get a claim on me since he knows I am looking into other insurers?

Hmm. I just talked to my agent today and he said if I turned in a glass claim to comp that it wouldn't change my rates, just cost the deductible. Is he blowing smoke up my ass to get a claim on me since he knows I am looking into other insurers?

In the UK you can easily figure out how much it will add to your premium next year by doing dummy quotes on comparison sites, using a fake name and address near your real one. Do one quote, then do another with the hypothetical claim on it. Guaranteed that the no-fault claim will push the premium up.

Maybe there is something similar in the US.

Reactions: super20g

I've had a couple of glass repair submissions over the years on cars, (not Tesla), my rates never went up as a result of it.....Maybe rates go up in general when they assess losses in your area if enough of these kinds of claims are paid out but that's not the same thing you're asking about.