Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver Model 3 Test - Not Great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was a very fair and reasonable article. They pointed out things that the masses would be concerned with.

Yes, all EV batteries is affected by the cold, significantly. And it should be pointed out to the newbies (which is the everyone not on TMC). In other words, 300 mile range ain't happening 3+ months per year, for those in northern climes.

The criticisms that I took away:

1) too noisy (for a $55k car, when compared to an A4; but the A3 is more noisy than the A4, so at $35k maybe the decibels would be ok)
2) crappy stock tires (for a sports-handling car; altho the masses would probably prefer the all-seasons)
3) Regen does not come to a full stop (like the cheaper Bolt)
4) The 15" screen buries wipers, mirrors, and other items. (Nothing new to TMC, as we have had numerous threads on this topic already.)
5) The back seat is low. (yeah it is, at least for an adult.)
6) Poor rear visibility (probably the only item I found unfair, since a bunch of cars made in the past decade have lower visibility rear windows)

I'm still awaiting my M3, but will probably not purchase the second (I have two reservations), since #4 and #6 above probably won't work for da' wife. So, we'll wait until I get mine so she can experience it first.

A very balanced review by people who clearly weren’t overly impressed by the Model 3.

C&D’s audience doesn’t want know if the Model 3 is a good electric car. They want to know if its a good car, full stop. In that broad context, relative to peers at the same $56k+ price range, the Model 3 is not currently very impressive.

Clearly someone who is enamored with having a fully electric car or one that doesn’t burn petrol is perhaps willing to overlook other shortfalls, but thats not the job of C&D and not the role that its readers want either.

As a possible future Model 3 owner, here are my takeaways and concerns:

1. NVH is disappointing considering there's no ICE in the equation. I know they were trying to keep it lightweight, but I would have expected it to be quieter than its ICE-powered peers. Tire selection can have a significant bearing on this.

2. Half-baked UI is a slight concern, but not a huge one, as I'm sure future software/firmware upgrades will improve the experience and functionality.

3. Rear seat awkwardness is a slight but not overriding concern. It's probably going to be just myself and my wife, possibly a child seat. I don't expect on doing long-distance road trips with rear passengers.

4. Objective performance is competitive, but not light years ahead of its ICE-powered peers for the price. Around 5-flat 0-60 is plenty quick for me. Contrary to what the true believers and Kool-Aid drinkers (no offense intended) say, there are quicker ICE-powered vehicles available for less money. (Kia Stinger GT and Charger Scat Pack, among a few).
I expect I'll probably get my configuration invite sometime this summer. Still undecided on if I'm going to go through with it or not.

We’ve had our Model 3 for 3 weeks.

We had read about:

Fit and finish issues - ours has none that we notice, at least.
Rear view concerned my wife but now that she's driven it - no issue.
Seats - no problem for our passengers

Article stated weight and distribution don’t match the specs on Tesla's site.

Our base price was $35,000 and our $56,000 total included destination & document fees.

The Model 3 doesn’t handle as well as our prior BMW M3 or Porsche Boxster S on summer tires but it does handle better than our Model S which is a plus for me.

So far the wind and road noise hasn’t been an issue for us.

My wife's biggest issue is that the blind spot warnings are hard to see.

I don’t mind the criticisms but the word selection sounded like bias to me. Almost as if they were mad at Tesla for not giving them a test vehicle as had been provided to others.

A conclusion could have stated that a car with these capabilities in a $35,000 trim could impact the market.

A very balanced review by people who clearly weren’t overly impressed by the Model 3.

C&D’s audience doesn’t want know if the Model 3 is a good electric car. They want to know if its a good car, full stop. In that broad context, relative to peers at the same $56k+ price range, the Model 3 is not currently very impressive.

Clearly someone who is enamored with having a fully electric car or one that doesn’t burn petrol is perhaps willing to overlook other shortfalls, but thats not the job of C&D and not the role that its readers want either.
Yep, spot on. Call a spade a spade.

Reactions: m34me and rsomrek
Having read this and other TMC threads for quite some time now, I find it amusing/disturbing that honest and, for the most part constructive, criticism of Tesla and the Model 3 produces such vitriol among so many. It appears that you can only be "with us or against us."

I've been a proponent of non-ICE transportation for at least twice as long as most of you have been around. Although I didn't want to pay the price of a Roadster, I jumped on the Tesla bandwagon from day one with the hope and understanding that Elon would eventually produce the "everyman's" affordable EV. My cheering stands are 100 yds long and 50 ft high. At the same time we all knew that the promise of a $35K car was probably on the low side - but okay, I'm in for several grand more to move this project forward. I'll never see a Jetsons-type personal transportation but count me in to make the move to get there. So like so many of you I stood in line two years ago hoping to get my piece of the future at less than an privileged price, go green, put an end to ICE transportation (at the cost of some mild ridicule from acquaintances).

While the goal is in site for all of us, there seems to be a blind willingness to forgive just about anything to get to the end zone - and a willingness to 'settle' to get there. The promises that have gotten us all to this point have been overstated; the blind faith to accept whatever obstacles arise is revealing. I can now afford the $250K Roadster but I want the $35K Model 3 (okay, $60K). But at the same time I have a sense of what money is worth and won't settle for paying a BMW price or more for less than equally valued quality. The promise was not produce a $35K car; it was to produce the future of transportation for $35K - with the assumed price-per-dollar quality. Or were we all duped into accepting whatever it takes to get to the goal line?

I still have my reservation and I'm looking forward to receiving my invitation to configure. My money (read trust and confidence) is upfront and on the table. I expect that it will be treated with respect for the time and effort that I put in to get/put it there and there will be no assumption that I can/should be taken advantage of to produce/sell a product - no matter how forward-looking it may be.

Just cancelled my subscription of about 20 years. This was the last straw as they have shown little interest in the coming EV revolution (which they would LOL at). I was figuring that the Model 3 would finally open some eyes there, but it is apparently not to be. They have done a few articles on EVs, but the editorial and tech slant is strongly in the legacy automaker / ICE camp.

Good, that means I'll get my next issue sooner.

I didn’t fact check this but a previous post mentioned that C&D gave the Bolt a 5 star rating? This alone really makes their Model 3 review highly suspect. We test-drove a $42k Bolt and were extremely unimpressed with the ride and the cheap-looking and feeling interior. We are now lucky enough to have the Model 3 for my wife. She was not a Tesla fanboy prior to this and viewed with some amusement my Tesla semi-obsession. After 2 months with the car she says she will never go back to an ICE car and loves her Model 3. We have no panel-gap issues, no rattles, no problems whatsoever. She loves the interior, the seats, the touchscreen, has had no problems adjusting to it. She came from a BMW 3 series. Yes the currently available Model 3 is substantially more than 35k but the base version will drive and feel essentially the same as the LR version, and that’s a whole lot better than the Bolt.

I’m sure I would like the car more than C&D does but I did agree with the sub title “Broken Promises”. I predict Tesla will be found out manipulating consumers and stockholders with a $35k car, they had no way to deliver profitably even at higher average selling price.

I’m on the sidelines now due to that and my concerns about Auto Pilot. (I guess I could order without it)

Car magazines are very fickle, didn’t C&D also say the Model 3 makes an Alfa feel like wet sponge?(I own a Guilin)

Just cancelled my subscription of about 20 years. This was the last straw as they have shown little interest in the coming EV revolution (which they would LOL at). I was figuring that the Model 3 would finally open some eyes there, but it is apparently not to be. They have done a few articles on EVs, but the editorial and tech slant is strongly in the legacy automaker / ICE camp.

I’m not sure that is true. Car magazines just aren’t that linear. They made Giulia 10 best and the said it handles like a wet sponge next to the 3. I think C&D is ok.

I didn’t fact check this but a previous post mentioned that C&D gave the Bolt a 5 star rating? This alone really makes their Model 3 review highly suspect. We test-drove a $42k Bolt and were extremely unimpressed with the ride and the cheap-looking and feeling interior. We are now lucky enough to have the Model 3 for my wife. She was not a Tesla fanboy prior to this and viewed with some amusement my Tesla semi-obsession. After 2 months with the car she says she will never go back to an ICE car and loves her Model 3. We have no panel-gap issues, no rattles, no problems whatsoever. She loves the interior, the seats, the touchscreen, has had no problems adjusting to it. She came from a BMW 3 series. Yes the currently available Model 3 is substantially more than 35k but the base version will drive and feel essentially the same as the LR version, and that’s a whole lot better than the Bolt.
C&D agrees with you...but they also liked the bolt's other attributes:
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV | In-Depth Model Review | Car and Driver

After all dealer discounts...that $43K+ bolt is about $36.5K in some regions...and with tax credits, taxes, registration, and other state specific incentives...one could get a top optioned Bolt for around $30K...IMHO...that's pretty compelling.

upload_2018-3-31_16-42-27.png

Last edited:
I find it amusing/disturbing that honest and, for the most part constructive, criticism of Tesla and the Model 3 produces such vitriol among so many. It appears that you can only be "with us or against us."

That is true for Mustang Forums, Camaro Forums, BMW Forums, well come to think of it any brand specific auto forum.

Did you know there is a conspiracy between Consumer Reports, JD Power, Car & Driver, Road & Track and MotorTrend to destroy the Detroit automobile industry?

BTW on another topic, the poor visibility in Model 3 is the result of the camback profile which is necessary for a .23 CD. Which is necessary for 4.15 miles per kWh AND 5.1 seconds from 0-60 in the same vehicle.

Many of the people (myself included) who have a Model 3 on order have done so not necessarily because we are interested in the environmental aspect of owning an EV, but because we want to legitimately see if an electric car can deliver the premium sports sedan with newer more exciting technology and with the benefit of never needing to visit a gas station again.

I agree with you. Granted I have environmental interest also, and this car delivers the sports sedan feeling.

I have owned two Audi TTs, a Mini Cooper S, Volvo S 60, and my most recent purchase a GTI. When I took delivery yesterday of my model three, The first thing that popped into my mind was this car has the same handling, sensation, drivability, and feeling any of the cars I just listed. The model three is so much more intuitive, I’ve had a *sugar* grin smile on my face the whole time, and I love passing all the dinosaurs and gas stations along the way. The technology and the way everything was thought out how this car was put together is just stellar.

Reviewers never mention how quickly the seats move to adjust to the driver. The seats in a Lexus, a BMW a Hylander or any other Japanese car, the seats make this slow whiny noise to adjust to driver. Hello dinosaur technology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.