Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car broken into, no smashing, as if it had been unlocked. What happened? [from 2019]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i once went to an aldi to buy some chewing gum back in 2014. forgot to lock my car and when i came back my phone i left in the car was stolen.
i was literally only gone for <5min.

My dad told me theres thieves which patrol parking lots and just check for mishaps like that.

I have the horn chirp when locking. However I wasn't paying attention two days ago when we went somewhere to eat and one of my kids did not close the door all the way. The first tip off was when I tried to turn cooling on right before we left and it said one of the doors was open and refused to cool the car. Nothing bad happened but it would be nice if the app would send a door ajar alert to your phone when you walk out of range.
It does do that... I get that message all the time when I have the door or trunk or windows open to work on the car and I step away for a moment. It might take a few minutes before it warns you though.

I found that setting sentry mode on via the app seems to mean it's on whenever the car is off - which seems to also be sure the car locks when I leave. At least this has happened the last few times; I know because I come back to the car which is safely locked in the garage to see sentry mode has been running.

Not sure this is intended or a quirk of my car or if setting it on the screen would do the exact same thing - I need to read the manual ha!

You can always look at your phone app and see the lock status and lock from there if needed.

I have sometimes checked that way when wind direction might make it hard to hear the locked beep and you’re already a distance away from the car.

If you use the key card to open your car (not sure why sometimes I’m prompted to) it’s really important to make sure your car is locked after exiting so the alarm or Sentry mode is activated.

i once went to an aldi to buy some chewing gum back in 2014. forgot to lock my car and when i came back my phone i left in the car was stolen.
i was literally only gone for <5min.

My dad told me theres thieves which patrol parking lots and just check for mishaps like that.
Petty thievery like that has hit insane levels in the last few years. It gets worse and worse but it just seems like its crazier than its ever been now.

🙃 It did not warn about trunk, frunk door ajar or windows down at the time of my post. A lot changes with a Tesla in 2.5 years.

This particular thread has been "necro rezzed" two separate times, 🤣

As far as software goes, very little is relevant from even 1 year ago. I debate with myself all the time if I should lock these type threads or not, when I come across them, but its a tug of war between someone necro rezzing a thread, and the opposite, which is joining and posting something like:

=========================

"Whats up everyone. I just got my tesla <insert a few days to a few weeks removed from todays date>, and I drove <insert some amount of miles>, and the range meter shows <insert previous figure + 20 - 40>. This doesnt seem right. My car is broken, right? I contacted tesla, but they just blew me off and told me everything was fine. Anyone else have this problem?"

Or

"Hi, I just got my car <insert a few weeks ago> and the software version is <insert factory software number>. I keep reading about all these new features. Why dont I have them? Anyone else have this problem?
========================

When they dont actually want to know if anyone had that problem, because if they did, they would have seen the other 50+ threads on the same issue (lol)

Reactions: comanchepilot
Hello all. I am heartbroken that my first post to this great community as a new Model 3 owner is to talk about a breakin. But last night, I came out to a parking lot after a movie and my passenger door was slightly ajar and my valuables (fortunately not much) stolen. She was in Sentry Mode and no alerts were registered on the car UI (and therefore no sentry mode footage). I had phone data off during the movie so I got no updates or alarms there either. When I turned data back on, the app showed the door was open and I was horrified... and sure enough, I'd been robbed.

No windows were smashed. I left the car, and had my phone on me (was using it as the phone key). I don't specifically remember hearing the horn chirp, because I was hurrying off to catch the movie, but I can't imagine she wouldn't have locked herself after I walked away, as usual. So what happened? What are the attacks people know of? Are there other threads people can point me to? The keywords I've searched for on the forum have all showed results about the rear quarter window issue.
  1. Did someone dash in before she could lock and open her while I was rushing away? That sounds far-fetched.
  2. Are there cases where it just doesn't lock for some unusual combination of factors?
  3. Is there some kind of known exploit people are using on Model 3's? The cops who responded seemed to think so.
I would be glad to hear from any of you about anything you've seen or heard about this. (There was no dash/sentry video from the time period, though I'm slowly checking deleted files recovered from the flash drive just in case.)
I had something similar happen to me just today! ....You're not going crazy, and might have not even been you fault. I locked the model 3, mirrors folded in, and everything. Popped in a store and came out just 5-10 minutes later, to find a guy leaning inside the passenger window, which was rolled down partially! The car was still locked, and YES - the windows were UP, and the car locked when I left it! ....Unfortunately it was a rental, and I didn't have access to Sentry Mode or anything. I have no idea how he got the window down. Just lucky I came out RIGHT as he was reaching in, to grab my backpack, I left in the car! I scared him off....

I had something similar happen to me just today! ....You're not going crazy, and might have not even been you fault. I locked the model 3, mirrors folded in, and everything. Popped in a store and came out just 5-10 minutes later, to find a guy leaning inside the passenger window, which was rolled down partially! The car was still locked, and YES - the windows were UP, and the car locked when I left it! ....Unfortunately it was a rental, and I didn't have access to Sentry Mode or anything. I have no idea how he got the window down. Just lucky I came out RIGHT as he was reaching in, to grab my backpack, I left in the car! I scared him off....

the windows are frameless and i doubt they lock. he probably inserted a tool and then just pushed them down.