Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Center screen protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this and ordered it today.

NuShield

Apple Cinema Display 24 in-LED* B46C000C08007B2
Film Type: Triple A™

Provides glare and scratch protection and reduces fingerprints. I will cut to size for the Tesla touch screen.

NuShield now has a protector pre-cut for the Model S in their DayVue film. $34 + shipping. Select "Tesla" for the brand in step 1 and you'll see "Model S 2013" for step 2.

I just installed it and it's great. Installation was super easy - it's a dry installation, so no soapy fluid to spray everywhere like some phone screen protectors. Just clean the screen, peel off the adhesive backing on the film, lay it on the screen top down, smooth out any bubbles (I only had two), peel off the front film backing, and tuck the bottom left and right corners under the aluminum dash trim. Done. Took all of 2 minutes.

It looks great. The fit is perfect. Can't tell it's there at all. Touch response isn't affected at all. Absolutely worth doing.

NuShield now has a protector pre-cut for the Model S in their DayVue film.

Thanks for posting this info -- sounds like a great product. Does it make fingerprints less visible? Any reduced visibility when wearing polarized glasses?

I've read reviews of the DayVue film used on tablets indicating that they do a good job maintaining screen clarity (unlike traditional matte protectors), but that they tend to make fingerprints even more visible, so I'm interested in your observations on the Tesla screen.

Last edited:
Hey all. Thought I might revive this thread. I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about this.

When people buy a smartphone or a tablet, usually one of the first things they do is buy a screen protector.

People buy a $100K Tesla with one of the biggest touch screens any of us have seen and... no discussion, or minimal anyway.

Has anyone found a reasonable screen protector made for the Tesla Model S?

Thoughts?

Cheers.

-----

Update:

I think I can hear crickets chirping. It's pretty odd on this forum when that occurs.

Cheers Again

For a smartphone you do it because of sharp objects in your purse or pocket.

No need for the Tesla.

For a smartphone you do it because of sharp objects in your purse or pocket.

No need for the Tesla.

Unless you have a kid that's going to get their grubby little hands all over it. :)

Oh, and also as long as you can assure yourself that whatever cloth you use to clean the screen will never contain a speck of any hard dirt, salt, grit, or glass.

It's too easy, cheap, and no downsides I can see to putting one of these protectors on. Easy enough to pull off if it gets scratched up. The screen on the other hand would be a complete pain in the rear to replace should it get scratched up or cracked cause someone in the backseat got upset and launched a toy at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for posting this info -- sounds like a great product. Does it make fingerprints less visible? Any reduced visibility when wearing polarized glasses?

Yes, it does make fingerprints slightly less visible. No impact that I can see with my polarized sunglasses.

Any confirmation about how well this protector handles fingerprints?

Wait for a more current update (the technology may be WAY better now) but I've had one on my Prius for 5 years. While it is ok and not horribly annoying at all. It does show fingerprints. Probably a subjective personal call on the annoying vs not annoying part. Having said that; I have ordered one for the MS.

Thanks artsci and EarlyAdopter, ordered mine 5 minutes ago.

What is a good way to clean the screen of fingerprints? Anyone found a good, inexpensive way to do that? My fingers excrete more oils than an average person, so my screen can get really funky looking during the day.

Oh, and thanks carrerascott for the discount code. Nice!

I would rather have a screen protector to protect against awkward items. (The kind of items brought back from Home Depot.) I don't worry about fingerprints on my iPhone, so I doubt I'll worry about them on the Model S (It's not like I have to impress a date) :) Putting a length of pipe or a 2x4 through the screen is way more frightening.

Thanks artsci and EarlyAdopter, ordered mine 5 minutes ago.

What is a good way to clean the screen of fingerprints? Anyone found a good, inexpensive way to do that? My fingers excrete more oils than an average person, so my screen can get really funky looking during the day.

Oh, and thanks carrerascott for the discount code. Nice!

We keep a microfiber towel folded in the center well with our other necessities. Use it folded twice or thrice so the screen doesn't feel you touching it, and it wipes easily. Also used to get prints off everywhere else in the car, etc. etc.

We have never been bothered by the screen. There is some coating that disrupts reflection, but you can still see to use the screen functions with relative ease. I never thought about a screen protector or shield. Never needed it, I guess. We have the pano roof, never get sun from up there, just through side windows from low sun.

We keep a microfiber towel folded in the center well with our other necessities. Use it folded twice or thrice so the screen doesn't feel you touching it, and it wipes easily. Also used to get prints off everywhere else in the car, etc. etc.

We have never been bothered by the screen. There is some coating that disrupts reflection, but you can still see to use the screen functions with relative ease. I never thought about a screen protector or shield. Never needed it, I guess. We have the pano roof, never get sun from up there, just through side windows from low sun.

I can't seem to clean my touchscreen without causing it to activate (no matter how many times I fold my microfiber towel). Is there a way to turn off the screen and keep it off? I've turned the car all the way off from the control panel, but it comes back on again as soon as I touch the screen with the towel. Do I have to open the car, turn it off, then walk both my FOBs to the opposite side of my house? It would be helpful to have a cleaning mode. Not a big deal...just sharing.