Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Controlled experiment - test gloss and durability of the top paint finishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Without knowing which panel was which, I randomly laid all of them outside in the same position and tried to pick the one with the greatest color depth and brightness. This was a completely subjective judgment and was pretty difficult to do, as they all seemed pretty similar and one was not clearly superior. It was a blinded test -- I didn't know which product was which as I viewed them (the labels are on the back of each panel and not visible). After scrutinizing them, I chose one that seemed to have greater depth and clarity to reflections. It was the Glare Professional Polish.
Kind of remarkable, given the underlined.

Kind of remarkable, given the underlined.

It was a total judgment call -- just my sense as I studied all of them. I was surprised that I chose the Glare but then I thought that maybe my sensibility was pretty good after all. Remember, the difference in the gloss readings was not that great. So I think the durability question will be paramount.

I now have the test results for the 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat. They're not good. In terms of gloss it produced the lowest gains of any of the products tested. Perhaps because it's a protectorant it will perform better over time. But in terms of gloss it's the worse of the pack. I've added the data to the spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Artsci, Regarding the 22PLE, did you spot check the others today as well? I noticed reading about the Glare Polish that it said to let it cure 24 hours as well. Just wondering if all the others maintained their gloss at least for the first 24 hours?

Have to say Glare is looking good as is OptiCoat 2.0. (OC has years of verification by guys like you doing real world tests)

Pluses and minuses but with our very soft paint I like the idea of the Glare being buffed *into* the paint and left to harden both.

Artsci, Regarding the 22PLE, did you spot check the others today as well? I noticed reading about the Glare Polish that it said to let it cure 24 hours as well. Just wondering if all the others maintained their gloss at least for the first 24 hours?

Have to say Glare is looking good as is OptiCoat 2.0. (OC has years of verification by guys like you doing real world tests)

Pluses and minuses but with our very soft paint I like the idea of the Glare being buffed *into* the paint and left to harden both.

I did spot check. When the 22PLE readings came up low I was concerned.

I'm surprised Opti Coat 2.0 scored as high as it did. My entire car and wheels are Opti-Coated and honestly didn't seem like any real increase in gloss to my eyes. I opti-coated not for looks but to have a sacrificial layer for the factory clear. If anything, it makes it easier to wash and hope it will reduce wash-induced marring and swirls.

I thought I read that the 22PLE cures in 1 day but it takes about 7 days to fully set in?

I'm a neophyte when it comes to all the above-and-beyond car care stuff. $10 every few weeks (months) at my local automatic car wash was about the extent of my car care. I want to, because I feel compelled to, take care of my Tesla. If I use one of these products, like Glare Professional Polish, do I use it in lieu of wax? In addition to wax? What's this business about a clay bar? Should I use a clay bar on my car before applying something like Glare Professional Polish?

I'm a neophyte when it comes to all the above-and-beyond car care stuff. $10 every few weeks (months) at my local automatic car wash was about the extent of my car care. I want to, because I feel compelled to, take care of my Tesla. If I use one of these products, like Glare Professional Polish, do I use it in lieu of wax? In addition to wax? What's this business about a clay bar? Should I use a clay bar on my car before applying something like Glare Professional Polish?

Polish comes before wax. The general flow is wash, polish, then wax.

Clay bars are used to remove surface impurities from the paint (paint overspray, rail dust, surface contaminants). A simple test to determine if you need a clay bar is to put your hand in a ziploc bag and run it over the paint. If it doesn't feel super smooth, then it's time for a clay bar job. I'm not sure how much the MS would need a claybar job right away as it just came from the factory, but the sandwich bag trick should give you an answer. Regardless, I plan to claybar my car once I get it later this month.

Claybars take some time and patience to go through. Think of the claybar as an eraser. You are going to erase away contaminants from the surface of the paint. However, in order for the claybar to glide across the paint, you'll need to spray a lubricant on the paint to help the claybar pick up contaminants. Best to work in small sections at a time, maybe 2'x2' patches over the entire car.

The only thing I've been able to find that compares the two is a posting on a Corvette forum (here) where he says "Apparently Honda is re-labeling it for their dealerships."

YMMV, but it appears they're the same thing.

Yes I think I remember artsci telling me this a few weeks ago but I couldn't remember for sure. This is the stuff my selected detailer uses exclusively.

I'm surprised Opti Coat 2.0 scored as high as it did. My entire car and wheels are Opti-Coated and honestly didn't seem like any real increase in gloss to my eyes. I opti-coated not for looks but to have a sacrificial layer for the factory clear. If anything, it makes it easier to wash and hope it will reduce wash-induced marring and swirls.

I had my wheels coated with Opti-Guard, the pro version of Opti-Coat, and think it looks remarkably glossy. More depth than my past attempts at Zaino on my previous car. Surprisingly deep gloss. Also, it sheds brake dust with a simple spray of water.

I had my wheels coated with Opti-Guard, the pro version of Opti-Coat, and think it looks remarkably glossy. More depth than my past attempts at Zaino on my previous car. Surprisingly deep gloss. Also, it sheds brake dust with a simple spray of water.

Even if you prefer to use something else for you paint, I'd highly recommend opti-coating your wheels. Makes cleaning them 10x easier. Even though I don't use the brakes a lot, there's a ton of brake dust still. Cleans up easily, even on the inside rim they are clean. I don't even use a dedicated wheel cleaner anymore.

Let's say the durability test shows Glare Professional (or any other contestant) is the one to get. I already have a finish (3M professional) on my car. Do I need to completely remove it so that the new stuff can bond to the paint, as opposed to bonding to the previous finish?

Assuming yes, it needs to be removed, what's the best and safest way to remove it?