Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car configuration permutations and waiting times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
Moderator comment - post copied from 2020 Shipping Movements

With many new Tesla Model 3 buyers waiting for their new cars I think it's timely just to explain why you are waiting...and waiting.
Tesla like many other companies are very conscious of their quarterly financial figures. They aim to sell every car they make in any quarter in the same quarter. So a car manufactured in January, February or March must be sold by the end of March, and so on. To be deemed as sold the car must not only be paid for in full but actually delivered to the customer. Ideally they will get paid for a car before they have to pay their suppliers.
It makes sense then that cars destined for Europe are manufactured at the beginning of the quarter and in the last month of the quarter no cars are exported to Europe. This means that ships will depart in the 1st two months of any quarter and none in the 3rd. This is why there is a feast or famine cycle of Model 3 availability. (Model S and X are slightly different) This cycle also explains the mad rush at the end of every quarter to deliver all the cars. We normally receive around 7 to 8 shipments each quarter in Europe with up to 5 ships enroute at any one time. For Model 3 there is no way of knowing exactly which ship your car is on bar being told by a friendly Tesla person. You can however have a pretty good guess based on when you expect delivery and when you get your VIN allocated. VINs seem to be allocated within a day or 2 of the ship departing from Pier 80. I won’t describe here how to find your VIN because there are many threads on this subject already on this forum and I recommend you have a read of them. Another thing about Tesla and specifically Model 3 is that your car is not built to order - Tesla build whatever they want and then match those built against orders. It can mean that some folk could have a long wait for their particular specification. It means that you may have ordered the same day as someone else however you may not get delivery on the same day if your specification is slightly different. Some get lucky, they order on Monday and take delivery on Friday whereas others wait, and wait, and then wait some more. This waiting can be incredibly frustrating and inconvenient, but trust me, it’s worth the wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ProducedByKang
With many new Tesla Model 3 buyers waiting for their new cars I think it's timely just to explain why you are waiting...and waiting.
Tesla like many other companies are very conscious of their quarterly financial figures. They aim to sell every car they make in any quarter in the same quarter. So a car manufactured in January, February or March must be sold by the end of March, and so on. To be deemed as sold the car must not only be paid for in full but actually delivered to the customer. Ideally they will get paid for a car before they have to pay their suppliers.
It makes sense then that cars destined for Europe are manufactured at the beginning of the quarter and in the last month of the quarter no cars are exported to Europe. This means that ships will depart in the 1st two months of any quarter and none in the 3rd. This is why there is a feast or famine cycle of Model 3 availability. (Model S and X are slightly different) This cycle also explains the mad rush at the end of every quarter to deliver all the cars. We normally receive around 7 to 8 shipments each quarter in Europe with up to 5 ships enroute at any one time. For Model 3 there is no way of knowing exactly which ship your car is on bar being told by a friendly Tesla person. You can however have a pretty good guess based on when you expect delivery and when you get your VIN allocated. VINs seem to be allocated within a day or 2 of the ship departing from Pier 80. I won’t describe here how to find your VIN because there are many threads on this subject already on this forum and I recommend you have a read of them. Another thing about Tesla and specifically Model 3 is that your car is not built to order - Tesla build whatever they want and then match those built against orders. It can mean that some folk could have a long wait for their particular specification. It means that you may have ordered the same day as someone else however you may not get delivery on the same day if your specification is slightly different. Some get lucky, they order on Monday and take delivery on Friday whereas others wait, and wait, and then wait some more. This waiting can be incredibly frustrating and inconvenient, but trust me, it’s worth the wait!
So I make that 120 hardware model variations that could be produced. In theory this could mean a particular combination might not have been manufactured or sold out early in one quarter and could be delayed until the next, or in theory never actually built. Could explain why mine ordered in mid-october still has no delivery date

So I make that 120 hardware model variations that could be produced

Being pedantic, 70?

SR - 5 colours, tow, 2 wheels = 20
LR - 5 colours, tow, 2 wheels, 2 interior colours = 40
P - 5 colours, 2 interior colours = 10

You could bring it down to 40 if you didn't count wheels as a fixed specification.

But easy to see how some delivery times may slip, or inventory cars may appear if Tesla don't get their predictions spot on.

Reactions: Arkilia
Being pedantic, 70?

SR - 5 colours, tow, 2 wheels = 20
LR - 5 colours, tow, 2 wheels, 2 interior colours = 40
P - 5 colours, 2 interior colours = 10

You could bring it down to 40 if you didn't count wheels as a fixed specification.

But easy to see how some delivery times may slip, or inventory cars may appear if Tesla don't get their predictions spot on.

Does the FSD option not get installed at the factory too?? - if so it would be 140.

Does the FSD option not get installed at the factory too?? - if so it would be 140.
Purely a software option that Tesla can configure and install at any point of the cars journey from manufacture, pre delivery and even post delivery either by Tesla or a purchase in the app. I'm not sure what stage they do configure and install it (I suspect its configured when it is associated with your order), but we were told we could change our mind within 2 days of delivery. In fact, we never actually took delivery of our assigned car and were substituted on day of delivery, so its possible that our FSD wasn't configured and installed until after we arrived to collect the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JC100