TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car doesn't recognize J1772...

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Saghost, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

So I just got my X home - still kinda in shock that nothing went wrong, but I think I'm going to like it - and plugged it in to the EVSEUpgrade modified Nissan J1772 240V cable I've been using to charge my Volt for more than 4 years.

The charge port lights white when I open the door, then goes out when I plug the cable in. I can here the EVSE clicking relays - then nothing happens. The charging screen comes up, but shows 0V. The EVSE shows green status, no charging happening.

Any ideas?

I've got the UMC plugged in to a 120V line for now and the car seems to be charging fine off of that.

2. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Congrats! As for the EVSE, I have no idea other than the reality that J1772 equipment occasionally has inter-operation compatibility problems due to slightly different interpretations of the standard.

3. mastermason11

mastermason11 Member

Make sure you are not on a scheduled (delayed charge) mode.

Happened to me a few times

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The OP said his new X was charging fine on 110V so I doubt that is the explanation for why it won't charge from his J1772 charger.

And I doubt new Teslas come with scheduled charging turned on.

Likely there is something odd about his J1772 charger.

5. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

The Gen 1 Leaf 120V EVSE doesn't follow the J1772 standard fully. Even modified, it won't work on anything but a Leaf and your lucky it even worked with the Volt.

• Informative x 1
  6. davewill

davewill Member

The upgraded LEAF EVSE isn't compatible with Tesla cars, including my Tesla powered Rav4EV. I had to sell mine and get an OpenEVSE for portable use. As I recall, the pilot signal is missing the negative half of the voltage swing, which the LEAF and many other cars don't mind, but Tesla cars do.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

OP I had a similar issue. Turns out my J1772 adapter was defective...luckily another Tesla owner was in the area and lent me his, otherwise I would not have been able to return home for another day (Tesla offered to overnight me one)...This was about 500 miles from home!