Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car keeps shutting down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, this is driving me nuts.

On my morning commute, I'll often be on conference calls (via bluetooth connection) as I drive. Due to lighter traffic, I'm getting to my office before my calls end and so, I usually decide to stay in my M3 until the call ends.

As I continue to chat via bluetooth in my parked car, the car will literally shutdown on me after ~10mins. Screen goes black, mirrors fold, heating off, and bluetooth dead.... With me still sitting in the driver seat!!!

I tap the brakes and the car comes back to life and then I need to manually reconnect the bluetooth to continue my call. Repeat again in ten minutes.

This isn't normal... Is it? It's driving me nuts!!!

Some troubleshooting I've done...
- If I sit in the car watching Netflix, it does not shutdown.
- Tesla app is not battery optimized
- Bluetooth on phone is not optimized

Flip it to camp mode or something, I know when I approach the car while Ina phone call there is usually a delay detecting the phone as a key, I wonder if you are on a call, there might be a moment when the car looses the phone and assumes you left.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Flip it to camp mode or something, I know when I approach the car while Ina phone call there is usually a delay detecting the phone as a key, I wonder if you are on a call, there might be a moment when the car looses the phone and assumes you left.

The Bluetooth LE (used for phone as key) is completely separate from Bluetooth Classic used for the phone call.

Same thing happens in my X that doesn’t use Phone as Key. But I have not timed it but felt longer than 10 minutes.

Are you putting it in Park? Just leave it in Drive -- it doesn't cost any more power (presuming you're not driving the car) and it won't power down. Just remember to put it in Park once you actually are ready to get out.

Ah, mine has shut off before too after a while. If leaving in Drive does the trick that is great. Thanks!
(and when I do forget to put in Park it yells at me, so all good)

Thanks guys, I'll try both camp mode and leaving it in "D".

It's just surprising because the car is not supposed to lock if it has a Bluetooth connection, or at least that's what I thought (such as those that forgot their phones in the car).

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Thanks guys, I'll try both camp mode and leaving it in "D".

It's just surprising because the car is not supposed to lock if it has a Bluetooth connection, or at least that's what I thought (such as those that forgot their phones in the car).

As someone mentioned above, the "Phone as Key" functionality is using the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) protocol, which is entirely a separate connection method as regular bluetooth audio. Your phone is capable of both, but only BLE connection with the car is persistent if you're in range.

you can also just hit the brake on occasion, let's the car know you are still in there? On my MX, the car won't fully power down until I leave the drivers seat. The IC will show "Car Off", but all screens are still on, I can still use windows, radio, nav etc. Once my butt leaves the seat, screens go dark.

Reactions: Matsayz
sounds normal. ive been at an SC charging and the screen will indeed time out and model 3 will go to sleep even with me sitting in the car. scared me the first time i SC'ed the car.

later when i saw the screen would DIM (like a smartphone does right before it turns off) again, i just tapped the screen and it canceled the screen and car from shutting off. next time when you see this happening and your screen dims, just tap it.

Reactions: totoro722