Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Lock Sound Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Do we have to unplug the sentry USB and use the USB with the wav file in it? Can I unplug that USB and stick the sentry USB back in?
Unplug the sentry USB drive, copy the lock chime wav file to it, reconnect the drive, then go to the Toy Box to select "USB" as the lock sound.

Note: It'd be smart if the car had a "safely eject USB" feature. Short of that, be sure Sentry mode and Dash Cam are inactive when you remove the drive.

Update: According to the following post, you can temporarily insert a USB drive containing the lock chime, select that chime (loading it into the car's memory), then switch back to your previous USB drive:
Post in thread 'Custom lock sound file - where does it go?' Custom lock sound file - where does it go?

Last edited:
It'd be smart if the car had a "safely eject USB" feature.
It does. Press and hold the Dashcam icon in Controls. This will set the dashcam to paused mode. From the manual, in the Dashcam section:
RECORDING: Dashcam is recording. To save video footage, touch the icon. To pause recording, press and hold the icon.
PAUSED: Dashcam is paused. To resume recording, touch the icon. To avoid losing video footage, pause Dashcam before removing the flash drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I can't think of anything other than Dashcam video that's written to the drive, so pausing it should stop all USB write activity, and pulling during reading shouldn't cause any damage.
Yes. So as far as we know that feature suffices if people find it and also can't think of anything else that the car writes to any USB partition. (Sentry cam??) It's a UI problem.

I tried searching the manual for USB, eject, and such.

Last edited:
Right now im just using the duck quack sound. Not clever but im thinking of using a quote from this video. The staff where I work are delicate flowers so I know they will complain. I already have the audio file because I was trying to use it for the horn, lol. I think in the end im just going to use the windows shutdown sound.

My wife's first Model 3 was named Margo. Her replacement 3 was named King Margo.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus